Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Philadelphia and am working on a quick exit strategy. I had a horrible 2009 and it hasn't improved much since. I was downsized out of a job last year like many, nearly lost my house, haven't been able to find any job as the unemployment rate here is high (12% reported, around 25% unreported), and this past month like millions of others lost my Unemployment Compensation after just 42 weeks (I say just because the maximum used to be 99 weeks). Luckily, my Mom has been floating me enough to pay me bills and exist. I'm definitely fortunate in that respect. I had been planning to move to Florida to be closer to her as she's in her late 80's, and I'm the only child. The problem is that the economy in Florida is as bad as it is in Philadelphia and I fear more of the same.

So, my actual question is can someone with extensive experience (12 years) as a Retail Store Manager (specialty store, not Wal-Mart, etc.) and many years prior in Restaurants/Hotels readily find work in Durham-Chapel Hill? According to the latest published Unemployment Rates, Durham-Chapel Hill is at 7.3%. I actually lived in the area many years ago (mid 90's) and am quite familiar with the area.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 PM

355 posts, read 958,852 times
I can't speak for the field that you're in, but you should consider the size of the labor market in addition to just the unemployment statistics. That is, the size of the Triangle's labor market is much, much smaller than Philly.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,850,352 times
Central NC has been hit very hard by the recession. What the unemployment rate doesn't show is the hundreds of people applying here from out of state (just like you) who make competition for what jobs there are as fierce as it's ever been.

"Quick exit strategy" or not, it wouldn't be smart to move here without having already found something. Not that you are planning to do that, I realize. There have been lots of discussions on this forum about jobs and (un)employment (you can search the forum), though I don't remember much about the retail sector. I myself spent 5 years in retail management, 15 years ago, but have not heard how it's faring here except the usual "sales are down everywhere".

Maybe someone in that industry will answer your question, but in the meantime, be going to websites of the places you're interested in and applying anywhere and everywhere. I don't doubt there are hourly jobs around, but management positions are probably tight.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM

I realize that having lived there before. However, 12% (Philadelphia) is substantially worse than 7% (Durham-Chapel Hill). The proportion doesn't vary with population size.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't doubt there are hourly jobs around
That would do, they're not even available here.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,954 times
Yes, there are a lot of retail jobs, but competition is fierce! Check out the Tanger Outlets which will be opening up this fall in Mebane. Various stores are currently looking for managers. http://www.tangeroutlet.com/mebane/careers

Last edited by DanielleNC; 07-06-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,850,352 times
While you're doing it, you might as well look into some companies based in NC, so there'd be HQ jobs in additions to stores. I know that Food Lion (Salisbury) and Lowes Home Improvement (Wilkesboro) are some big ones, but I know there are more. Of course neither of these is in the triangle, but if you're mostly just trying a "quick exit strategy" from where you are, you probably want to cast a wide net.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
While you're doing it, you might as well look into some companies based in NC, so there'd be HQ jobs in additions to stores. I know that Food Lion (Salisbury) and Lowes Home Improvement (Wilkesboro) are some big ones, but I know there are more. Of course neither of these is in the triangle, but if you're mostly just trying a "quick exit strategy" from where you are, you probably want to cast a wide net.
Thanks, I'll check into those. I like the idea of Lowe's. I was also considering hourly positions locally with a Home Depot, Lowe's, Whole Foods or Southern Season. Does anyone have any experience or observations regarding them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary