Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,681 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I live in Capex (the nickname for that sort of "grey area" on the borders of Cary and Apex) and have been a student at a dance studio in Apex for several years, but I'm starting to realize that it's not where I want to be anymore. It's a competition studio, and not only is there competition between our studio and our competitors but there's also an unhealthy level of competition between the dancers. The teachers encourage this by playing favorites and pitting friends against each other, and I've pretty much had enough. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good studio where things run smoothly and it isn't so cut-throat competitive. I know that that's asking for a lot; the arts are always catty. But honestly, anything has to be better than where I'm at right now. Studios in Cary, Apex, Raleigh, Morriseville, etc is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions you have are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,647 times
What type of dance is your focus? I'm assuming you're an older teenager.

If ballet, and based on the atmosphere you say you're trying to avoid, I'd recommend Graceful Expressions Dance Education in Cary.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
My daughters take dance at Dancer's Pointe in Cary (at the corner of James Jackson & Maynard). While there is a "company" that competes, there is no competition between the dancers/friends within the school, and the director does not encourage that type of activity at all.

Dancers Pointe

Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
My daughters take dance at Dancer's Pointe in Cary (at the corner of James Jackson & Maynard). While there is a "company" that competes, there is no competition between the dancers/friends within the school, and the director does not encourage that type of activity at all.

Dancers Pointe
I hate to post bad reviews, but just to correct the record since I see that I suggested Dancer's Pointe in another thread a year or so back: we did not have a good experience there. The short version is that our class did not happen as scheduled on three different occasions. After the third time getting dressed up and coming to a locked door my daughters refused to take dance again. I have the impression that the owner is a nice person, but the level of organization is lacking.

OP, this is a past thread on dance studios that you might want to check out:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...cary-area.html

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 38,116 times
cary ballet conservatory is amazing

Cary Ballet Conservatory

Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,464 times
Field of Dreams dance studio.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM

189 posts, read 507,716 times
Step Ahead Dance in Downtown Cary is another good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary