Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM

317 posts, read 1,514,117 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Raleigh in September from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm a 24 year old RN with 3 years experience. I have job interviews at both Duke University and Durham REgional hospital. I have a phone interview on Friday with Durham regional and I'm interviewing at Duke in 2 weeks when I come to visit.

I just wanted to hear opinions on both hospitals? I've heard parking is horrible but the recruiter that I talked to made it seem like parking is very easy and would be at the most $60 a month. Can anyone confirm this?

The hospital I work at has 400 beds and is a teaching hospital. I know Duke University has 900 some bed and is teaching. What about Durham?

Anyone know the wages for experienced RN's in NC? I'm making $22 an hour now in PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 AM

128 posts, read 282,970 times
Durham Regional Hospital is part of the Duke Hospital System but whether salaries are lower there compared to Duke I don't know. From a resume perspective I would put Duke way ahead of Durham Regional because of the prestiege associated with Duike, which should help future employment prospects

Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
You will make ALOT more than $22/hour down here. More like double that.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM

305 posts, read 761,569 times
As for parking at Duke, your closest option will be one of the main parking decks (referred to as PG1 and PG2, aka the "South Deck" and the "North Deck"). Permits for these decks are currently around $53/month. They are a bit of a pain, in that they are both very busy and you may be wandering up and down 5 floors to find an open spot, depending on when you come in and out. Figure about 5 min to walk out of the deck itself, then another 5-10 min walk via covered or underground walkway to get to your actual work location. Both decks have waiting lists, so you may not get a spot right away, but everyone I have talked with has eventually gotten the lot they wanted. On the cheaper, more distant end, you can get a spot in one of the "H" lots for less than $10/month, then take a 10 min shuttle to get to your work location. Compared to other more urban med centers I have known, it really isn't bad.

I don't know the specifics for Durham Regional, but given that patient parking is free in the surrounding parking lots, I can't imagine staff parking is very much or very far away.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
You note that you are moving to Raleigh ... if you meant that literally then the traffic towards Durham is not bad if your shift follows normal rush hour timing. Try finding a place with good access to NC 147 especially if you work at Duke.

My bride has her MS from Pitt, we visited last year. She was surprised to find the "O" was still there ...

Welcome.

Frank

Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,621 times
Durham Regional is very much part of the Duke system, and if you work there you can still put "Duke" on the resume. The "Reej" (as my wife and some of her colleagues call it) is more of a small, "neighborhood" hospital, whereas Duke University Hospital is the tertiary/quaternary care & level 1 trauma powerhouse where you'll have an opportunity to see much more specialized and unusual cases.

Both have their pluses, and the only question between the two is where you want to go with your own career.

Parking WILL be easier and cheaper at Durham Regional. But I would advise against making a career decision based on parking alone.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
You will make ALOT more than $22/hour down here. More like double that.
WHERE are you getting your info?? She will NOT make a lot more down here so don't provide erroneous information. As I mentioned in a previous but very similar thread, an RN with about 3 years experience will start out in the Duke system as a CNII (clinical nurse II) and likely make in the range of $23 per hour.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
^Wow thats crap $. You should move to Greenville, NC, you will get paid almost double that hourly rate. Also, I just looked up the 2009 average salary for an RN in RDU, and its $64,000, so I have no idea how they are paying so little here at your hospital(s) only.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Quote:
^Wow thats crap $. You should move to Greenville, NC, you will get paid almost double that hourly rate. Also, I just looked up the 2009 average salary for an RN in RDU, and its $64,000, so I have no idea how they are paying so little here at your hospital(s) only.
It's not at just Duke. Duke may pay a bit lower than other local hospitals but it's not all that different. The average salary for RNs in the area is just that, an average of salaries from those with little experience to those highly seasoned. Nurses are also paid extra for working off shifts and weekends, so a nurse making a base pay of $23/hr, may, in fact, make close to $30/hr working a weekend night shift.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM

206 posts, read 747,130 times
Quote:
As a nurse for 15 years I find it hard to believe nurses in Greenville are getting paid double the amount they are paid here. What kind of nursing are you talking about and what hours? Where is this information from? If you are googling average salaries online they are almost always erroneous when it comes to the nursing field. This area and the southeast in general pays nurses very low. One of the attractions to Duke for people is that their benefits package is good so I don't know if that is included in the "average salary of $64 K." Also, some quotes may consider an advanced practice nurse such as an NP or CRNA and average that into a nurses average salary when they should be considered separate professions. Please let us know where these numbers are coming from and what kind of job in Greenville pays that much. I would be interested to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary