Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,326 times

Advertisements

I've included that along with my searches on realtor.com. I am interested in a couple of FSBOs on Craig's List. Then I start wondering if it's priced right, etc. It does seem like a good source for rentals. I'm not so sure about the houses listed for sale though. There are quite a few creative financing listings for houses. I'm not sure what is legit and what is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:57 AM

75 posts, read 336,210 times
We're getting ready to move to Cary in a few weeks, and we found our house rental on Craigslist. We originally tried going through a number of property mgt companies and didn't have much luck. It seemed like most of the agents were too busy to call us back -- which makes sense, given the number of people moving to NC....though it was frustrating.

Anyway, Craigslist is great. Our new landlord has been very responsive, professional, and friendly to deal with.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
CraigsList is all right.

caveat Emptor, however.

You are right. There are TONS of scammers there, and creative financing is one of the biggest.

You will also see a LOT of blind ads by real estate agents, which is wrong, but common.

Check prices against good comps for guidance on what is being asked.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
CraigsList is all right.

caveat Emptor, however.

You are right. There are TONS of scammers there, and creative financing is one of the biggest.

You will also see a LOT of blind ads by real estate agents, which is wrong, but common.

Check prices against good comps for guidance on what is being asked.
Hey Mike,

What do you mean by "blind ads" by real estate agents? And are you saying as an agent, its wrong to advertise on Craig's List? Curious minds want to know!

Vicki

Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC? View Post
I've included that along with my searches on realtor.com. I am interested in a couple of FSBOs on Craig's List. Then I start wondering if it's priced right, etc. It does seem like a good source for rentals. I'm not so sure about the houses listed for sale though. There are quite a few creative financing listings for houses. I'm not sure what is legit and what is not.
We got alot of traffic from our ad on Craigslist (although our ultimate buyer came from an MLS listing). There's definitely alot of legitimate listings for FSBOs there, it is without a doubt the highest profile way to advertise a FSBO without getting on the MLS. I'm guessing that the scams for the most part should smell a bit different than the legit ones, as a decent FSBO is going to take advantage of the unlimited space to give information and put up pictures, whereas the scam will probably provide limited information.

As far as pricing goes, you need to that out for yourself (or decide if it is worth paying 3% of the sales price out of your pocket to an agent to figure it out for you). While Zillow isn't the best for figuring out values, it is useful for finding recent sales.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,948 times
It's probably better for rentals than purchases. Since we're planning on renting before we buy, I have been using it as a resource.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Hey Mike,

What do you mean by "blind ads" by real estate agents? And are you saying as an agent, its wrong to advertise on Craig's List? Curious minds want to know!

Vicki
Vicki,

Agents can certainly advertise on Craigslist. I have done so myself.

A "Blind Ad" is any ad, anywhere, wherein the agent doesn't identify that they are a licensed agent, and don't identify the firm they work for IN THE AD.

Click through to the agent site doesn't cover it, I believe.

We just had a little session on that recently.

Some agents do blind ads because they often get flagged and tossed off Craigslist.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,938 times
As a buyer I can confirm what Mike said. There's a TON of blind realtor ads in Craigslist. I personally feel it dilutes the entire Craigslist usefulness when it's full of non-user listings. When I was shopping I think 70%+ of the listings were by Realtors and it was annoying to waste time on them when I could just as easily see them in the MLS, which I usually did anyway.

For rentals I contacted a few house rentals and didn't receive a single reply. Crazy!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,843 times
My husband and I rented a house that was listed on CraigsList. We also bought a FSBO house that was listed on CraigsList, although we did not find it through the website. In both cases, the owners of the properties were very particular. They did not want to give over their properties to just anyone. Luckily, we seem to be likeable people, so it all worked out.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I listed a townhouse for sale on craigslist but I listed myself as a Real Estate Agent.

I actually SOLD it that way but again, it was my listing and I said that in the ad.

So am I safe??? Did I do anything wrong? I'm asking cuz I don't wanna see Real Estate Jail in my future and I'm pretty sure they don't do nails!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary