Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times

Advertisements

Winkie died today at home. She was not quite ten but had kidney disease. She was also blind from birth. Once I watched her catch (and then eat) a moth by sound alone. I am so sad. I am going to miss her so much. Over the past four or five months, she'd lost so much weight and didn't even come running when she heard me open the catnip bag anymore. I hope that if kitties go to kitty heaven, she feels better and can see. I like to tell myself that, anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM

328 posts, read 839,989 times
Beautiful sweet baby. My heart goes out to you. If there is a kitty heaven, she's there.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
Beautiful sweet baby. My heart goes out to you. If there is a kitty heaven, she's there.
That's very kind of you. I have her sister and two other cats who thankfully are in good health.

Because Winkie was blind, she often swiped her paw and hissed at the others when they came near because she couldn't see to pick up any cues and assumed they were hostile. She would attach herself to me, instead, so we had our special little bond.

I am just so glad I was home and with her when she died rather than coming home from work tomorrow and finding her.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
SO sorry for your loss. She was a doll. In my belief system, she is now running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My Katrina and Buster were there to greet her. <<hugs>>

Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM

328 posts, read 839,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's very kind of you. I have her sister and two other cats who thankfully are in good health.

Because Winkie was blind, she often swiped her paw and hissed at the others when they came near because she couldn't see to pick up any cues and assumed they were hostile. She would attach herself to me, instead, so we had our special little bond.

I am just so glad I was home and with her when she died rather than coming home from work tomorrow and finding her.
I understand. I have my Lisa who has End Stage Renal Disease. I thought for sure I was going to lose her a few weeks ago but she managed to pull through. I'm not kidding myself though, her time is coming soon.

I have found having other kitties helps. I'm glad you have them. Many on this sub-forum are so kind. You and Winkie are in my thoughts.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,593,536 times
I'm so sorry for the loss of a beloved member of your family. It's just so hard when it happens and our pain is quite terrible. I hope you have some one to share the pain with. If not, we who are here on CD share it and sympathize fully with you. Take care!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm so sorry for the loss of a beloved member of your family. It's just so hard when it happens and our pain is quite terrible. I hope you have some one to share the pain with. If not, we who are here on CD share it and sympathize fully with you. Take care!
Thank you so much. Yes, I knew the people on this forum would be able to relate.

I had to call my daughter, who was home for Christmas, and let her know Winkie was gone. She was sad, but not that surprised. She saw how sick Wink was. We just hoped she'd rally and have a little more time. What was weird was that on Christmas Eve, Winkie came out of isolation (she was living in my bedroom closet--I had a cat bed in there for her and she had a litter box right outside the closet door) and hopped up on the couch with the other three cats and hung out there for the evening. She hadn't been on the couch or even in the living room much in a couple of months. I thought it was a good sign that she might be feeling better, but maybe it was her way of spending one last time with everyone--the other cats, my daughter, and me.

I reached out to my good friend who just had her two fourteen-year-old dogs put down within six weeks of each other and another good friend who lost her dog in August.

Well all get so attached to these creatures. They are such parts of our lives, but for too short a time.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,579,799 times
I'm sorry for your loss of your precious baby girl - she was quite beautiful. As hard as it is, you were with her to the end - and you know she had to be feeling miserable to pass up catnip and a chance to be in her mama's arms. She adapted to her blindness and lived a full and wonderful life - secure that she was loved and all her needs were met. You still have a part of her through her sister - although it won't ever be the same. All of us here have lost our fur babies too many times - and I think I can speak for many of us when I say that we truly do understand how much your heart is breaking tonight, and know that it will get easier with time - but it will hurt. Hold her memory dear and know how special you were to each other.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I'm sorry for your loss of your precious baby girl - she was quite beautiful. As hard as it is, you were with her to the end - and you know she had to be feeling miserable to pass up catnip and a chance to be in her mama's arms. She adapted to her blindness and lived a full and wonderful life - secure that she was loved and all her needs were met. You still have a part of her through her sister - although it won't ever be the same. All of us here have lost our fur babies too many times - and I think I can speak for many of us when I say that we truly do understand how much your heart is breaking tonight, and know that it will get easier with time - but it will hurt. Hold her memory dear and know how special you were to each other.
Thank you.

I last lost a cat in 1997, my first cat, in a house fire. That was terribly painful. He was only 11 months old. In between I buried some guinea pigs, an iguana, and a few frogs, mostly courtesy of my daughter, but I didn't get cats again until 2005.

I keep having my tearful moments, but I am missing Winkie the way she was when she was healthy. She went downhill so fast since the beginning of fall, and especially in the past six weeks. I am grateful that when the moment came, it was quick. I heard her make a little cry, and when I went in to look, she was lying on her side on the floor. She'd just used the litterbox, I could see, and she was trying to get back to her bed. When I realized she couldn't seem to walk, I picked her up and put her in her bed. She sort of flipped herself on one side then the other, then she curled up like she was going to sleep, took two big breaths, and she just died.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,779,544 times
God has blessed Winkie. There are so many animals that don't have homes and God has blessed Winkie with you as an owner. I just wish I knew what to say to you to make it easier for you. I still miss my kitty so much. We had him cremated and he is here which makes me feel he is still at home kind of. We all have friends and loved ones pass through our life. Our pets bring us so much just being there. I wished I knew what to say to you to help you feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge