Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM

730 posts, read 682,776 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of an FM station with an online live feed that sounds like FM used to sound in the 1960s and 70s? You know..... supper deep voiced DJs that talk in a slow monotone, sometimes with long thoughtful pauses like you wonder if the radio lost connection? That play actual hippy-type music that actually has lyrics and a melody? Surely there must be some, somewhere.

NPR just makes me sick now. They sound just like AM radio with fast talking happy idiots with sappy musical voices. They have a commercial sound. Not only that, they slip in commercials, except they just read them. I've had it. There is no where to go. I am not going to do that outerspace radio, either.

If you know of one please post it. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,212,749 times
That kind of radio has become rare, because it doesn't perform well in an era where radio ratings are measured with Personal People Meters. The listeners who are coveted don't have the patience for it.

You're probably going to have to listen to radio from another country to get programming like that.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM

24,756 posts, read 17,492,137 times
How about checking out local college radio or simply local radio. They are usually way down around the 90.1 area. They don't have the most powerful signals but if you can get one they often play a diverse genre of music. The local one here is out of Provincetown and I have heard death speed metal on it one day and banjos the next.
There has to be something in your area or you could search around online.
When I used to live on Mathas Vineyard I listened to MVYradio 92.7 once again a diverse play list. The blues at 8 was my favorite program with the old scratchy ones on Monday night 8-9.
I agree that NPR seems to be different than years ago. They seem to have leaned to the left when they should be dead center.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 AM

348 posts, read 337,896 times
NPR (National Petroleum Radio) is about as dead center as it gets.
Even running Reefer Madness type segments before Prop 19 was up for vote.

There's a ton of Freeform Radio stations, but I don't think that's what OP is referring to.

The public airwaves and cable channels have been consolidating over the last 30 years, there's really nothing left.
Maybe the internet, and that's being sucked dry as quickly as possible by copyright vultures.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,160,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Does anyone know of an FM station with an online live feed that sounds like FM used to sound in the 1960s and 70s?
Wish I could help but I can't say that I do. The format has changed so much the Old School Dj's like Hollywood Frankie Crocker just may not exist anymore.

As for
NPR just makes me sick now. They sound just like AM radio with fast talking happy idiots with sappy musical voices.
Now sure what NPR are you are listening to because most of the announcers and interviewers have been on the air for decades and I'll be damned if I've noticed any changes. Melissa Block, Neil Conan, Terry Gross, Steven Inskeep, Renee Montagne, Peter Siegel or Ira Glass, chirpy, fast talking happy idiots??? Not the same NPR that comes in over my radio.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,450,436 times
I agree with ovcatto. This doesn't sound like the NPR I listen to. I only listen to NPR and FM Classical.

I understand what you're referring to and I find this annoying too. Stupid quips, fast-talking frivolity and superficiality, and contrived "fun" is commonplace. Your description, "fast talking happy idiots with sappy musical voices", is spot on. This seems to be the way people in general talk on radio, TV, commercials, even in movies. Some of the guests on NPR sound this way. Kai Ryssdal sounds like a smug version of this too. I generally don't notice this on NPR so much though.

The bay area had a unique radio station in AM-KGO, with some unique personalities that defined the character of this bay area. Cumulus Radio came in and ruined this however. They have a conservative agenda and got rid of many of these personalities, including the best of them all Ray Taliaferro. I don't listen to AM anymore.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,365,603 times
I listen to AM while working, but not NPR on AM. It's just too boring. For example, while the news has been about Benghazi, the IRS versus conservatives, and the wire-taps on some media outlets... the other day NPR was talking about white rhinoceros being killed for their horns

But I primarily listen to the following AM shows:

-Prof. Michio Kaku talking about the sciences
-Kim Komando talking about computers, cameras, and so on
-Into Tomorrow (computers, and similar technology)
-Handel on The Law (law-related subjects)
-Laura Ingraham (politics, family stuff, and so on)
-Gerry Doyle (politics and a little of everything else)
-Local AM shows about guns, reloading, hunting, Fish & Game, and so on
-Coast To Coast, every now and then

Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I listen to AM while working, but not NPR on AM. It's just too boring. For example, while the news has been about Benghazi, the IRS versus conservatives, and the wire-taps on some media outlets... the other day NPR was talking about white rhinoceros being killed for their horns

But I primarily listen to the following AM shows:

-Prof. Michio Kaku talking about the sciences
-Kim Komando talking about computers, cameras, and so on
-Into Tomorrow (computers, and similar technology)
-Handel on The Law (law-related subjects)
-Laura Ingraham (politics, family stuff, and so on)
-Gerry Doyle (politics and a little of everything else)
-Local AM shows about guns, reloading, hunting, Fish & Game, and so on
-Coast To Coast, every now and then
I'm confused since none of the programs that you listed as your primary programs are likely to be reporting on Benghazi, the IRS or "wire-taps" then what seems to the problem with NPR's program on white rhinoceros poaching? I would think that Science Friday, All Things Considered, reports by Nina Totenberg (one of the most respected legal journalist in the country) Fresh Air would fit right in. Of course we both might be missing something.

Radio Programs | Alaska Public Media

Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,365,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm confused since none of the programs that you listed as your primary programs are likely to be reporting on Benghazi, the IRS or "wire-taps" then what seems to the problem with NPR's program on white rhinoceros poaching? I would think that Science Friday, All Things Considered, reports by Nina Totenberg (one of the most respected legal journalist in the country) Fresh Air would fit right in. Of course we both might be missing something.

Radio Programs | Alaska Public Media
Just in case you don't know it, the local radio stations where I listen to such programs broadcast the news on the hour, and the local news on the half-hour. And yes, Laura Ingraham does talk about the subjects I mentioned (not the rhinoceros horns) The law program I listen to relate to day-to-day problems with the law callers are having, and so they call Handel asking for advise.

I just find NPR as exciting as a laxative commercial, so I don't listen to it. I live around Fairbanks, by the way.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I just find NPR as exciting as a laxative commercial, so I don't listen to it. I live around Fairbanks, by the way.
Yeah, non-trolling radio can be unexciting. Almost as bad as reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio