Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 08:19 AM

73 posts, read 119,078 times

Advertisements

Exploring my options for building a domicile on my property, the Quonset "Hut" keeps cropping up for a number of reasons, cost effectiveness being a big one. We can argue design aesthetic (I'd prefer not to) but this in more about the value, for me. They can actually be designed quite attractively, far from the old army barracks style.

Upside is cost and hurricane/wind "resistance". I've seen a few in Charlotte County as storage/garage units but not as a domicile. When asking the folks at CC Zoning, they replied "All we can provide to you is the zoning code with setback information and permitted uses. You will need to consult with an engineer to make sure it meets Florida Building codes and permitted uses." My takeaway from that reply was, they're not interested in aesthetics as long as the structure meets code, but "permitted uses" could leave a lot up to interpretation.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this kind of structure, primarily as a domicile? Even anecdotal information might help. Any suggestions for an engineer/builder who has had success with the Quonset would be appreciated. Cheers.

"Form Follows Function, Beauty Follows Form." Someone said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 01:13 PM

71 posts, read 109,489 times
Love it especially with a matching detached extra garage for classic cars!

Old 03-20-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOWOP2020 View Post
Love it especially with a matching detached extra garage for classic cars!
My thoughts also; I have a few toys, plus it'd be nice to have a tinker-spot workshop.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
People build domicile residences in warehouse buildings all the time. So, as long as you satisfy code requirements you shouldn’t have an issue with permitting. However, it’s not just codes, if your property is within a certain jurisdiction, within the limits of a Home Owners Association - HOA, you may also need their approval. Any new building needs an Architect / Engineer to ensure the design satisfies code, structural, and Hurricane requirements, and this is a fairly normal procedural submission for the building permit anyway. Finding an experienced builder is important, so you’re on the right tract!

Old 03-22-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
However, it’s not just codes, if your property is within a certain jurisdiction, within the limits of a Home Owners Association - HOA, you may also need their approval.
I hear you on that one, I specifically avoided buying a property under the jurisdiction of a HOA. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,652 times
Default Also very interested in building a Metal Quonset House in Florida

Hello @Keylime Steve,

Same here!

I have a few vacant residential lots with in Highlands County Florida (Sebring and Lake Placid) with a very small minimum dwelling size requirement of 750sq feet. The area they are in are sparsely populated and house around are nothing fancy. One of the lot is on a dirt road and faces a preserve and has no front neighbors.

I talked to the county and they said this when I asked about building a primary dwelling with SteelMaster or DuroSpan that would have no interior walls, no side windows and no electrical power from the grid.

Floor plan can be whatever you choose.

Windows and doors must meet egress requirements only. Location is up to you.

If you are planning on using a pre-engineered metal building, it must be a category 2 structure. Wind rating is not all that has to be considered. Exterior walls must meet the requirements of Chapter 6 of Florida Building Code (FBC) Residential. The roof assembly will have to meet the requirements of FBC Residential Chapter 9. Insulation type and “R” value will be determined by FBC Energy Conservation calculations. An energy form will need to be completed and submitted with the building application. Interior wall finish will need to meet the requirements of FBC Residential Chapter 7.
You are not required to connect to electric service.

All of these concerns, will be addressed during the drafting of the building plans which will need to be stamped and sealed by a licensed engineer.

I'd love to find a Florida structural Engineer / architect that would would take this on. I'm looking to build a really simple 800sq Durospan house with no interior walls, no side windows and no electrical hookup, just 12v power lines inside from solar I will later install. No wires or pipes in the walls, everything in a center island. I'd like to achieve R-30 in the walls by bolting on extensions bolts and having floating flexible furrings, but don't know if this will pass Florida code. Something I can build with a small crew myself.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,652 times
I posted this video just now with my project and open questions I have. I am shopping around for a Florida Architect. I see this a super simple design and given that Durospan sells me wet signed Florida Plans for the shell, there is not much beyond adding the foundation, wall insulation and the island plumbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8brL70ic4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: