Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 PM

47 posts, read 107,084 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else tired of buying meats from our local foods stores Publ**, Wal-m***, Win-Di*** and SAMs C*** that has been injected with water to add weight and dyes to "preserve" the meat?
Trying to fry chop meat in a frying pan and I ended up boiling it in a 1/2 cup of water.
They call food coloring a preservative but the only thing it preserves is the color on the surface. When you dig into the chop meat, it's darker on the inside than it is on the surface. You can't tell me that the Hot Pink color is natural.

I hear there is a place Punta Gorda out on 17 that has Bison meat. Does anyone know anything about it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:58 PM

325 posts, read 507,532 times
Look for www.threesunsranch.com. They sell Bison, Beef and wild hog meat. That's all I know about them.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:53 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Met the folks from Baileys Beef Country at one of the Historic Park Farmers Markets. They had some great hot dogs cookin. They seem to have a good selection. Have not yet been to the store in PC.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:40 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
We've gotten some cuts of beef and sausages (the chicken & feta is great!) from Beef Country and buy our pork from Kallis German Butcher Shop, both in PC on Tamiami between Midway and Forrest Nelson Blvd. We're happy with both but haven't asked for any special cuts of meat; we just buy straight out of the cases.
Beef Country also sells at the Sunday farmers' Market in PG.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
I have to tell you I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the meats that are available at the butcher counter in Publix.

I doubt very seriously that anyone is injecting your meet with water or dies to preserve it without it being labeled as such.

Gary

Last edited by MartyGras; 06-03-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I have to tell you I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the meats that are available at the butcher counter in Publix.

I doubt very seriously that anyone is injecting your meet with water or dies to preserve it without it being labeled as such.

Gary
Do you happen to know what grade Publix sells? I would assume the "default" is USDA Select but I haven't investigated that yet. We are moving our 20CU Ft commercial freezer down with us and I'd love to find a reputable butcher as well that I could get whole loins (Choice), custom cut and vac. sealed. I have one up north and it's well worth the extra dough.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:32 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
Publix has USDA Choice...Gary

Old 06-03-2015, 06:39 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
Quote:
Thanks Gary - I was just about to post this from their site...

"Imagine the ideal steak. The outside is crossed with grill marks. The inside is tender, juicy, and cooked to perfection. The aroma is irresistible; the flavor, even better. And, or course, this perfect steak is nice and thick. Extra thickness can turn a good steak into a great one. It's the reason that Publix introduced our Steakhouse Cuts®.
These are the same Publix Premium USDA Choice Beef steaks that we've always offered, but with extra thickness that cooks up perfectly. It's just like what you'd expect in a steakhouse, but in the comfort of your own home."

Old 06-03-2015, 12:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Quote:
x2 for Publix!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Check Sav-A-Lot for meat. They don't have a lot of variety, but they do have extremely fresh, reasonably priced good meat.

They periodically have T-Bone and Porterhouse steak on sale for either $3.99 or $4.99/lb.
Their pork chop sales are also excellent and great quality.

They are one of the largest supermarket chains in the USA.

Every time I go there, the butcher is adding more meat and is making comments about 'can't cut it fast enough'. Because people buy it as quickly and butcher keeps having to cut it, package it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte