Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times

Advertisements

Like, I think that someone feels pleasure from stating: "I think you are posting in the wrong forum and it will be moved later"...

I mean it's not an individual's business whether someone is in the right forum or not. It's the job of the moderators to move and to interpret. So why do individuals like to say this: "I think you're in the wrong forum"...?

Is it really because they are trying to be helpful? But how does it help a person? It's not like he can do anything about moving it. Doesn't it only make the person embarrassed? I mean he will discover that this is the wrong forum when moderators move his post.

It feels like people take pleasure in pointing a finger or pointing out mistakes or catching mistakes of others. But if the body rewards you for doing that (with good feelings), why does the body think you need to do it?

Is it the social consciousness? I heard that we have internal programming, the one that thinks about the overall picture (what's best for a group). It's like a citizen's arrest type of a thing?

Tattling is an instinctual thing and kids do it naturally. Parents find it useful and government appreciates it -because it helps them to keep order. So I guess it's the social collective consciousness program which puts this instinct into people and makes them feel good after they do that.

But on an individual level we don't like that. So we teach each other that it's bad, that people don't like it when someone is doing it.

And so some stop doing it because they don't want to appear as bad. But others don't seem to care, or are not aware of doing it and keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
There are a LOT of posts to read and I can't imagine the moderators can read every single one. Also most other forums are not moderated. So it is good to give helpful advice to posters - guide them in the right direction.

I will sometimes tell them they will get more responses if they post in another forum. Or start a new thread with their topic as the subject rather than tagging onto another thread. But I get tired of doing that, so sometimes will let them figure it out on their own (when they get few or no replies).

As for being NASTY when pointing out other people's mistakes, some people put others down as a way to raise themselves up. These same people will cheat when playing competitive games. The only way they can win is to make the other player play worse!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
If that is the only mistake pointed out to me I will say, thank you.
Newbies need help sometimes.

It is also no news that people that criticize or point out glaringly obvious mistakes
that everyone sees anyway...might have a
low esteem issue...and it unconsciously makes them feel better than someone.

They don't mean to hurt someone...they are just so absorbed (thus,
insensitive to others' feelings) in wanting everyone to do things ''just so''...
they become OCD about it.

What is a better question is why don't people see how they come off to others...
can they really be that oblivious that
their insecurities or control issues are like Neon signs flashing to others...my opinion.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
For me it's mostly about being helpful, and making people aware of "rules" that are written or unwritten, because it's best to know the rules of any setting you're in.

To me, noting that someone is in the wrong forum is akin to stopping a person in a store to tell her she dropped her glove, or that the line forms over here.

Some things are a little more about expressing my annoyance: Like when people necro-post and try to debate something I've posted 4 years ago that's already been debated to death, or when people start a brand new thread on a topic when one already exists. Simply reading the rules and lurking a while to get to know how a website works could prevent such errors, but some people just don't pay attention. They need to hear "Hey, friend, these are the rules here. You're welcome here, but please follow them, or you disrupt things or look like an idiot."

Way back in 1999-2000 when I was new to the internet, I was reading the Internet for Dummies, and saw some good advice: Before ever posting in an online discussion forum, read all the rules and "pinned" notices, and then lurk for a while to see how things work. Then, and only then, should you start posting. Because I was a newb, I assumed that this what everyone did, and should do. Then I was shocked to find people just running in blindly and posting willie-nillie and half-cocked, like there are no rules of civility to follow...

Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
the older I get the less patience, I have with the leg-humpers, nose-pickers, and naysayers
if they feel the need to jump all over something stupid, then they must have some demons and bats flying around in their own head..

negative people suck!!

somewhere around 21 ,,,I read a quote somewhere "before you criticize, what's the big picture benefit"
which I like this quote and lived by it

its a mature person who doesn't feel the need to correct others

Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...its a mature person who doesn't feel the need to correct others

Another way to look at it is if NO ONE every points out errors to people, the same errors will be repeated. No one will ever learn anything!

For example yard sale signs which are posted on telephone poles and are the same size print as this I am now typing. No one driving by can possibly read those signs.

I make a point sometimes of informing people (educating them) that the printing on road signs needs to be just as large as the government posted speed and traffic control signs.

And to note that on the government signs, the printing gets to be MUCH larger as the speed increases. Stop your car, get out and see how large the lettering is on those signs!

Also as a rule, people can only read 7 words or less when driving by these signs. Try it yourself. Make a sign, then drive by it at the speed limit in you car. Have a passenger try to read your sign. (Don't slow down!}

I DO point these things out to people and sometimes things are changed (for the better - for everyone) for the future. Makes it a less frustrating world to live in!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
It's not what someone says, but how they say it.

There are those types you're mentioning very insecure and petty. I just ignore them because it's a childish mentality to begin with and not mature.

When I first posted something on CD I posted in the wrong place. There were lots of posts telling me so and some a little immature. I posted that I ask a mod to move the thread and I didn't mean to get anyone in such a tizzy fit ! It didn't really bother me because it was no big deal and I took care of it as quickly as I could but it really is a reflection on the person whining so quickly.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
It's flipping it moving the blame to u when they don't like your post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology