Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,160,616 times

Advertisements

What are the signs? I have studied a bit of psyc, and do have someone in mind. I am looking for both symptoms and examples...please & thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 AM

652 posts, read 875,400 times
A narcissist is truly in love or infatuated with the idea of their reflection. A sociopath looks for weaknesses in others with the sole purpose of exploiting another for their own personal gain. Narcissists primarily do not hurt others intentionally, it's a secondary response. By definition, a narcissist is self centered, trying to gain power through others like a sociopath would be emotionally risky as well as diminish their own self importance. Both versions could coexist, but usually they die off quickly possessing both personality attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
What are the signs? I have studied a bit of psyc, and do have someone in mind. I am looking for both symptoms and examples...please & thank you!!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I am looking for both symptoms and examples...please & thank you!!
Do you know any teenagers?
The first 50-70% of behaviors that would constitute (toxic) narcissism or most sociopathy
pretty much define adolescence.

Most kids never go to the extremes and most will be tempered as we mature...
but they're there.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-26-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,835,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you know any teenagers?
The first 50-70% of behaviors that would constitute (toxic) narcissism or most sociopathy
pretty much define adolescence.

Most kids don't never go to the extremes and most will be tempered as we mature...
but they're there.
Makes sense- so we have adults who never progressed out of their teenage years who inhabit the government and sit on the boards of corporations? I guess it would be a grave insult to someone suffering from narcissism to be called a big kid...That would have made George Bush and Cheney a couple of teenage brats who - through their immaturity almost wrecked a nation...great...How many more of these under-developed people are running lose like drunken teenagers causing havoc? The stunting of human character is not detected till it is too late.

When I see the present President presiding over a nation- and he struts and swaggers like an ego filled teenage boy- it causes me distress.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM

971 posts, read 1,456,057 times
Websters dictionary defines that a greater number of left handed people are narsisstic than right handed people. Which explains Prez's Clinton and Obama. Prez Reagan was reported to be left handed until he started school. Left handed people are reported to use the opposite part of their brain as their dominate processes.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
How many more of these under-developed people are running lose like...
Add the "Helicopter Mom" effect into the mix and I'd suspect the number to be rather high..
far closer to the norm in the future rather than the exception it's been in the past.
The world needs more grown-ups than we're getting.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,835,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Add the "Helicopter Mom" effect into the mix and I'd suspect the number to be rather high..
far closer to the norm in the future rather than the exception it's been in the past.
The world needs more grown-ups than we're getting.
Good example of a big kid....OBAMA: " I saw my chance to take a shot and I took it- we got Bin Laden" too para phrase- What sort of immature fanciful nonsense is this?

What's that guys name from Texas who was running for President...the aging pretty boy who stands there and thinks- my mum said I was very handsome and she said that I could be who ever I wanted to be...and now I want to be president cos *I am so cute....my mum says so.....

You have to leave childhood behind and learn to take care of others- I have often said that woman and men who have never had the responsibility of a child think like teenagers- My sister travelled the world- made a million lost a million- Now she is an older woman with no kids and no husband---she never thought of anyone but herself all her life- she can not be trusted in business or in personal life...she is a shrewd big child who still thinks about me me me me...I never take her seriously...it's just not wise.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 AM

131 posts, read 261,148 times
Concerning narcissism

Perhaps the difference between living your life doing things and getting your name added to some type of award or accomplishments, and living your life to get your name added to awards, accomplishments, roads, post offices, or airports ect. ect. I believe I have encountered narcissistic type personalities, it seemed to me they would often discard or try to demonize those around them unwilling to feed their desires (personal observations not based on any type psychology training).

Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,304,697 times
I know a guy who is narcissistic. He can't stand it if anyone does or is ANYTHING which he perceives to be better than himself.

If someone is better at a game or sport than him, he will not like that person and will constantly say nasty things about that person.

If anyone says anything about him being not so good at something, then it is "instant verbal war" when he talks about that person. For example someone said he should not have lost a game when playing him. (Implying he was not a very good player.) He overheard this. Then for the next month, that was all he talked about. (How wrong that person was and what a jerk he was.)

If someone gets a newer or better car than he has, he can't stand it and will say nasty things about that person. He also will NEVER say "nice car" or similar to that person. He will not say a word. Will just sit there and fume.

He will constantly point out to other people how good he is at this and that. Basically like a very selfish child, but multiplied 4 times! (He is an adult.) He constantly brags about himself.

So far as a sociopath I once knew. That guy would lie about anything and everything. He would lie about things he had no reason to lie about! This guy fooled me. I am a pretty good judge of character, but I was way off on this one. Basically he would do what he wanted and had no morals whatsoever. He was not capable of feeling guilty or bad about anything he did which hurt other people. Something was missing upstairs. (The part which says "no don't do that".)

Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
A narcissist is truly in love or infatuated with the idea of their reflection. A sociopath looks for weaknesses in others with the sole purpose of exploiting another for their own personal gain. Narcissists primarily do not hurt others intentionally, it's a secondary response. By definition, a narcissist is self centered, trying to gain power through others like a sociopath would be emotionally risky as well as diminish their own self importance. Both versions could coexist, but usually they die off quickly possessing both personality attributes.
Not certain that I agree with the assessment above. A sociopath has no empathy for others and takes advantage of others for his/her own benefit. Simply stated, the rules never apply to them for they feel entitled to that which they take from others sans remorse.

Similarly the narcissist is all about themselves and uses personal relationships for personal gain; however, not necessarily to the point of criminality. Therefore, I would argue that sociopaths are indeed narcissists carried to the extreme level. Narcissism being lower on the scale of a personality disorder and sociopaths being the criminal expression of pathological narcissism.

Consider the following statement: All sociopaths are narcissists but not all narcissists are sociopaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology