Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times

Advertisements

^ Kind of true, but how many people will admit they are 'sheep?' Few, yet they do whatever their friends do, often to a tee.

Maybe seeing things in broad swathes makes you just see 'blocs' of people. I agree getting to know people individually you see their idiosyncracies, but just as often you see more of the same.

Sure people may be unique. But some people are more unique than others. Much more unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 PM

^ Balanced response, Mokan. Yes I get ahead of myself thinking I'm unique. Feeling marginalized often breeds contradictory feelings of low self-esteem and a need to compensate by feeling superior.

Like I've written songs I consider truly ARE better than most of the dosh out there (not just saying that), yet I resent the fact things prevent me from getting them out to a wide audience.

Too many wannabes...humans may have more individuality than say, dogs, but still, only SO MUCH variation is possible before you see the same patterns and types.

Unique personality starts with unique thinking and not just blindly re-inforcing what we hear from the powers that be.

Let us free our minds from the shackles of the conformist world we live in!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,996,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Balanced response, Mokan. Yes I get ahead of myself thinking I'm unique. Feeling marginalized often breeds contradictory feelings of low self-esteem and a need to compensate by feeling superior.

Like I've written songs I consider truly ARE better than most of the dosh out there (not just saying that), yet I resent the fact things prevent me from getting them out to a wide audience.

Too many wannabes...humans may have more individuality than say, dogs, but still, only SO MUCH variation is possible before you see the same patterns and types.

Unique personality starts with unique thinking and not just blindly re-inforcing what we hear from the powers that be.

Let us free our minds from the shackles of the conformist world we live in!
If you really have such an obsession with thinking you're unique, it could be driven by a couple of different things. It could be a defense mechanism (denial) and major twisting and warping of what are ultimately feelings of your own inadequacies - whether real or irrational. It also could be partly driven by a run-amuck ego based in a more genuine disgust of the superficial displays of differences you see between groups of people, which may be due to a lack of understanding. Maybe these people you describe that you see don't really think they're that unique because of their self expression or style. Maybe you are putting too much emphasis on those shallow differences, which may mean you're being superficial, like I said before above. If I'm interpreting you correctly, then quite frankly these are sensitivities I see in the working-class in the US, which are probably the same in Australia, where you live. The working-class don't put an emphasis on superficial displays, and thus they don't really understand that those displays often aren't that deep or mean that much. More bourgeois endeavors, such as fashion, could be a bit of a foreign concept and poorly understood. For example, a working-class individual being superficial may see another invididual from the same background clean-shaven and dressed in a suit and getting some coffee at a coffeeshop and automatically label him a "yuppie". Because of his own superficial thinking, the person seeing that and doing that labeling is being divisive and failing to see similarities or knowing they exist. The guy in the suit may have simply gotten a job as a pet food salesman and has to dress appropriately. If the two were to sit on a bench together outside the coffeeshop and engage in conversation, they would likely find their similarities. Thus, it doesn't pay to be so presumptuous. Further, I would like to acknowledge that this does happen from both sides of the scenario of provided. A lot of city people or middle class are shallow about working-class or rural people and will assume so many things about them without looking deeper, having a conversation, and seeing similarities. What I've illustrated is a big social divide and segregation I see in much of the US, but that's a different subject altogther. The point is, as it relates to you, is that you said you've come from a more working-class and humble and environmnt and your mother and you both have become middle-class professionals, so the cultural change that goes along with that may be a significant part of your problems.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 PM

314 posts, read 626,767 times
Most people are herd-like from what I've seen. It's weird how close to animals they are.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,026,475 times
My, this thread reminds me of...

Quote:
^ Kind of true, but how many people will admit they are 'sheep?' Few, yet they do whatever their friends do, often to a tee.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
Most people are herd-like from what I've seen. It's weird how close to animals they are.
Quote:

Sure people may be unique. But some people are more unique than others. Much more unique.
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL.
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM

^ Lol you trying to psycho-analyze me Stum?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
If you really have such an obsession with thinking you're unique, it could be driven by a couple of different things. It could be a defense mechanism (denial) and major twisting and warping of what are ultimately feelings of your own inadequacies - whether real or irrational. It also could be partly driven by a run-amuck ego based in a more genuine disgust of the superficial displays of differences you see between groups of people, which may be due to a lack of understanding. Maybe these people you describe that you see don't really think they're that unique because of their self expression or style. Maybe you are putting too much emphasis on those shallow differences, which may mean you're being superficial, like I said before above. If I'm interpreting you correctly, then quite frankly these are sensitivities I see in the working-class in the US, which are probably the same in Australia, where you live. The working-class don't put an emphasis on superficial displays, and thus they don't really understand that those displays often aren't that deep or mean that much. More bourgeois endeavors, such as fashion, could be a bit of a foreign concept and poorly understood. For example, a working-class individual being superficial may see another invididual from the same background clean-shaven and dressed in a suit and getting some coffee at a coffeeshop and automatically label him a "yuppie". Because of his own superficial thinking, the person seeing that and doing that labeling is being divisive and failing to see similarities or knowing they exist. The guy in the suit may have simply gotten a job as a pet food salesman and has to dress appropriately. If the two were to sit on a bench together outside the coffeeshop and engage in conversation, they would likely find their similarities. Thus, it doesn't pay to be so presumptuous. Further, I would like to acknowledge that this does happen from both sides of the scenario of provided. A lot of city people or middle class are shallow about working-class or rural people and will assume so many things about them without looking deeper, having a conversation, and seeing similarities. What I've illustrated is a big social divide and segregation I see in much of the US, but that's a different subject altogther. The point is, as it relates to you, is that you said you've come from a more working-class and humble and environmnt and your mother and you both have become middle-class professionals, so the cultural change that goes along with that may be a significant part of your problems.
Lol, you're more analytical than me . I think I sort of get the general gist of what you're saying.

You're right, the need for me to 'differentiate' myself might be 'compensating' and derive from ego. Since I've been denied some things (having a loving relationship) and have always felt 'left out' by mainstream society I need to somehow put them down as being all conformists. But objectively, they do seem sheepish to me. It's not all bitterness or sour grapes.

We're all guilty of making preliminary judgements based on appearances and reading into it. It's easy to see say, a bunch of people with dreads and think/say 'those damn hippies!' to make you feel better about yourself.

Yes I disdain shallow displays of wealth or excess. I personally am more middle class, but my mother was from a working class background, and she 'rose up' to become a doctor. I suppose she has the same attitudes as me, in a way, like she doesn't like showy displays of wealth and became a doctor to help people not for the money. My lack of interest in financial gain and criticism of the whole system further makes me dislike the whole need to be rich and derive identity from it.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
^ Lol you trying to psycho-analyze me Stum?
I notice and like your allusions to animals in some of your posts (on the relationships forums and its derivatives like this one!).

Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I notice and like your allusions to animals in some of your posts (on the relationships forums and its derivatives like this one!).
True, true...I consider myself just as much an animal too. We all need to remember we are just animals, not that animals are inferior, but it would help to keep us grounded.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
True, true...I consider myself just as much an animal too. We all need to remember we are just animals, not that animals are inferior, but it would help to keep us grounded.
That reminds me of something I've seen before in legal codes (eg. for countries, states, cities etc.) regarding laws on animals (eg. laws on keeping/raising animals, animal welfare etc.) where they have a line in the legal code saying that the definition of animal used in the text explicitly refers to "any animal other than a human".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology