Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times

Advertisements

Men are taught from an early age to deal with differant types of pain and move on, fall and skin your knee, you just keep on playing. The only bad part about breaking a bone is you have to wait to heal to do certain things again. If someone is picking on you you either confront them or not hang around them, if a relationship fails you deal with it in one way or another and move on. There are men with emotional problems sure, but as a group, men for the most part are ok.
Women on the other hand are taught to mask pain from an early age, headache, take a pill, if they get injured their pampered, if a relationship fails they take pills for that. Most of the women I've worked with are carrying a pharmacy in the purse. Why does'nt society want its women to deal with their problems sober. If you deal with problems as they come up you get to be an adult without the baggage. Just because its perscribed does'nt make you less of a druggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Men are taught from an early age to deal with differant types of pain and move on, fall and skin your knee, you just keep on playing. The only bad part about breaking a bone is you have to wait to heal to do certain things again. If someone is picking on you you either confront them or not hang around them, if a relationship fails you deal with it in one way or another and move on. There are men with emotional problems sure, but as a group, men for the most part are ok.
Women on the other hand are taught to mask pain from an early age, headache, take a pill, if they get injured their pampered, if a relationship fails they take pills for that. Most of the women I've worked with are carrying a pharmacy in the purse. Why does'nt society want its women to deal with their problems sober. If you deal with problems as they come up you get to be an adult without the baggage. Just because its perscribed does'nt make you less of a druggie.
Funny, the only people I know that are on anti-depressants, are men. In my circle, the woman are managing their lives quite well, but the men are a mess....it must be regional, but I don't see what you describe. Health matters aren't "problems" as you describe. I have a colostomy and a radiated thyroid that I have to take a pill for the rest of my life....what you are saying is that I'm not sober.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,571 times
Don't kid yourself. Men are taught from an early age to stuff their emotions. Depression is anger turned inward. I think there are a lot more men with undiagnosed and untreated mental illness than women in the same boat because seeking treatment for mental illness is viewed as a sign of weakness in men. And, women, say what you will about how you love men who aren't afraid to cry or whatever.... I think, as a general rule, that is not an accurate statement, either. Women generally want a strong man... one who can "deal" with his problems by himself. And there you have it in a nutshell (pun intended) why there are so many unstable men running around out there... especially unstable older men, such as myself.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Don't kid yourself. Men are taught from an early age to stuff their emotions. Depression is anger turned inward. I think there are a lot more men with undiagnosed and untreated mental illness than women in the same boat because seeking treatment for mental illness is viewed as a sign of weakness in men. And, women, say what you will about how you love men who aren't afraid to cry or whatever.... I think, as a general rule, that is not an accurate statement, either. Women generally want a strong man... one who can "deal" with his problems by himself. And there you have it in a nutshell (pun intended) why there are so many unstable men running around out there... especially unstable older men, such as myself.
Depression is anger, without inthusiasm!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
I think men tend to turn to alcohol to self-medicate pain, whether it's physiological pain or psychological pain. More women turn to doctors/therapists. Unfortunately, even today, as shuke said, mental illness is seen as a sign of weakness in men - in some cases, some men think any kind of a physical illness is also a sign of weakness.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,860 times
Quote:
(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to shuke again.) I agree with all of this. All I want is a man that doesn't go into a tirade every time the same (40 bucks) monthly electric bill comes in the mail. I want a man who eats like a caveman in a pre-ice age famine and acts on his urges as it if it was his last day. And if that takes a daily pill...I'm all for that.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Women seem to go to the doctor way more than men and are more willing to take a doctors advise, men tend to only go to the doctor when they have no other option and are not as willing to be put on drugs. doctors are willing to hand out anti depresents like candy and unfortunatly women seem to think thats a cure and it's not, everyone gets depressed, thats just part of life and a pill is not the answer, changing habits and attitude is much better than pills, dealing with problems makes you stronger and happier than drugs.
I don't blame the women as much as the doctors for handing out the drugs so easily.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
New Book Examines Why Women Abuse Drugs - Article - The Partnership For a Drugfree America (http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugIssue/News/WOMEN_UNDER_THE_INFLUENCE - broken link)

There is alot of good information documenting women and their over abuse of drugs compared to men in the USA and Canada, this link touches on it but also explores reasons behind it to some degree.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM

141 posts, read 613,360 times
Quote:

Very well said!

We are taught very differently and at a very young age how different we are. Women are taught to share, play well with others, keep things neat and tidy. We are given dolls and teddy bears to play with...Men are taught how to compete. Their games consist of keeping score and being challenged. Play tough and rugged.
Then we get older and are supposed to play well together. We can't understand each other let alone learn to deal with each other.
My rule has been to accept that fact that we are different and try to embrace those rare qualities and not be so scared of them.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Men are from mars and Women are from Venus (the book that was wriiten several years ago) is a good book to read in understanding why we as women think as we do and why men do what they do. (women being more nurturing and emotional and men keeping feelings to themselves)
Wish everyone could forget about the doctors and drugs and learn how to heal themselves.
Men need to learn to scream and cry. Get out the emotions, beat a pillow, get mad and throw a tantrum every once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology