Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 09:02 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
How do you wash it?

It's like w/ electric blankets...not in the washing machine. It will say on the instructions on the pacakging, so that's a pretty big thing to consider before you actually buy.

I have two & one says, "Spot clean only", but I just lay that on top of my bed overall, so I doubt it will get dirty anytime soon. (Plus, that one was just $25 anyway.) My 2nd one says, "hand wash or spot clean only, do not machine wash, do not iron, lay flat to dry".

I don't know if getting it dry cleaned 1x a year would be best. They may charge an arm & leg though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 01:03 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
How do you wash it?
The ones I own are inside a zipped duvet (removable cover) and that's what I wash.

Blankets without duvet should be hand washed (easy in a bathtub), but I would recommend to buy a duvet for it.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:42 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
So I just went and got one of these several days ago. So far the jury is still out. I got a 25 lb blanket because I toss and turn A LOT, plus it was all that was left, haha.
It has a removable plush cover and altogether is very warm, to the point that I removed the comforter from my bed after the first night. I wouldn't describe it so much as a feeling of being hugged as it is the feeling of having your SO roll over and throw the dead weight of their arm and leg over you while deeply asleep. Not really uncomfortable, but not reminiscent of a hug either IMO. Gotta love marketing.
It's not so heavy that I can't move my feet and lower legs, I'm a side sleeper and I could still go from fetal curl to stork to stretched completely out without any problems. (I will note that lying on my back with legs stretched out was uncomfortable with the weight against my knees) The weight on my torso DOES make turning over quite a bit more difficult, so it does work as advertised in that respect, I am not tossing and turning nearly as frequently as usual. However I cannot sleep in the same position all night, and turning over requires some degree of wakefulness to lift such a heavy blanket. That last point has me wondering if the blanket will be as beneficial as I had hoped. I plan to give it a few weeks to see if I simply need to get more used to the weight of it.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So I just went and got one of these several days ago. So far the jury is still out. I got a 25 lb blanket because I toss and turn A LOT, plus it was all that was left, haha.
It has a removable plush cover and altogether is very warm, to the point that I removed the comforter from my bed after the first night. I wouldn't describe it so much as a feeling of being hugged as it is the feeling of having your SO roll over and throw the dead weight of their arm and leg over you while deeply asleep. Not really uncomfortable, but not reminiscent of a hug either IMO. Gotta love marketing.
It's not so heavy that I can't move my feet and lower legs, I'm a side sleeper and I could still go from fetal curl to stork to stretched completely out without any problems. (I will note that lying on my back with legs stretched out was uncomfortable with the weight against my knees) The weight on my torso DOES make turning over quite a bit more difficult, so it does work as advertised in that respect, I am not tossing and turning nearly as frequently as usual. However I cannot sleep in the same position all night, and turning over requires some degree of wakefulness to lift such a heavy blanket. That last point has me wondering if the blanket will be as beneficial as I had hoped. I plan to give it a few weeks to see if I simply need to get more used to the weight of it.

Woah, 25 lbs is a LOT! I would have waited & got a lighter one, definitely no more than 20. What brand is the one you got?

Old 11-25-2022, 08:19 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
25lbs is over what is recommended for my weight, but I toss and turn excessively. I often wake up rolled in my blankets like a burrito, if I ever needed a quick escape from bed it's not going to happen because I'm always so entangled. I knew a lighter blanket wouldn't keep me from tossing all night.
I got a Vellux brand, I don't care for their regular blankets, but this is more of a soft plush cover and not the stiffer velvety type they're known for.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:47 AM

I see, so your goal is something to prevent you from tossing & turning. OK!

Old 11-25-2022, 09:29 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
We have a weighted blanket and I think these types of blankets would be best on a cold day, in a chilly house. They lay heavy on you and really trap the heat close to your body.

If you run warm and live in Florida, I think a weighted blanket might be too much. If you were in a snowy mountain chalet in freezing temperatures a blanket like that would be nice to have on hand, especially after a morning of snow shoveling or playing in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews