Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...I placed the plastic sleeve from the newspaper over my arm and went up to my elbow in tank water...

Unless somebody left you an "upper-decker", the water in the toilet tank is clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 10:05 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,194,063 times
I have hard water with a lot of lime. I have a water softener that helps. I bought a package of two of these things that are dropped into the tank. They are in a plastic cage, a small metal strip. If had one, the same one for about five years and it still is working at keeping lime build up off of toilet bowl. It does something weird every so often and release a layer of metal looking residue, but doesn't stick to toilet bowl... Hard to describe. I did used to get rusty ring in toilet that I used lime away on. I don't get the rusty line anymore.

These are not the exact ones I have but appears to be the same type.

https://m.amerimark.com/magnetic-toi...UaAvaJEALw_wcB

I am pretty sure it works on the same principle as sacrificial metal rods that are in some, if not most hot water heaters.

Found another one that explains how it works.
http://e3living.com/home-garden/wate...0aAsE-EALw_wcB

Last edited by Izzie1213; 02-03-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,701 times
Quote:
Arggggh! It is the absolute worst! Don't buy it!
So, I normally keep a Clorox tablet in the toilet tanks, because some toilets hardly ever get used, and they'll develope a ring.
In a less than brilliant move, I decided to try the above, since I happen to hate the smell of bleach.
Reasons why it is horrid...
It smells like what I imagine a prison smells like.
It is dark, cobalt blue. So alarming, I don't even like he idea of using the toilet.
It does not prevent a ring in the bowl. What is the point?

So, today I had what would have been a great I Love Lucy episode. I placed the plastic sleeve from the newspaper over my arm and went up to my elbow in tank water to grab the submerged tablet, and banish the Vanish, so to speak.
The tablet was glued to the tank bottom, so my attempt to capture it caused it to dissolve into several pieces. I got most of it, but the plastic sleeve leaked, and I got quite a bit of blue water everywhere, including the white floor grout.
I don't have the heart to try it on another toilet.
Sigh.
If you attempt this again just turn the water off at the base of the toilet,flush and the tank will be empty. Now you're not trying to find the tablet while the tanks full and blue water won't be all over the place. If it's glued to the bottom you can use a putty knife or plastic scrapper to free it.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 PM

354 posts, read 416,027 times
I bought a new toilet last year and the manufacturer recommended you do not use any thing in the tank, you can void your warranty. I flush toilet and turn water off. Then I use vinegar and water, place on paper towels and place over hard water ring for 12 hours to soften the hard water spots and than use pumice stone and my toilet shines.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Unless somebody left you an "upper-decker", the water in the toilet tank is clean.
It was dark blue, though. I didn’t want a blue arm.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:54 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
If you attempt this again just turn the water off at the base of the toilet,flush and the tank will be empty. Now you're not trying to find the tablet while the tanks full and blue water won't be all over the place. If it's glued to the bottom you can use a putty knife or plastic scrapper to free it.
NOW you tell me.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,264,896 times
Quote:
It was dark blue, though. I didn’t want a blue arm.

My brother wrote a song called "New Borders", about the fighting in the Balkan region.

A friend of ours mondegreened it into "Blue Waters".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews