Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,630,778 times

Advertisements

Samsung WF209ANW 4.0 Cubic Foot High-Efficiency Washer

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I have had the Samsung WF209ANW 4.0 Cubic Foot High-Efficiency Washer for 14 months. With an MSRP of $699, this washer is an excellent value. While it is priced lower than similar frontloading machines, it offers a wealth of useful features that allow for effective, efficient washing. This product has been consistently reliable and easy to use. With the help of a coordinating pedestal, the machine has been easy to reach. When I moved to another town several months ago, the washer moved, too, and was easy to set up in the new location and was not damaged during the move. Aside from being useful, the machine is quite good-looking. It is boxy with a rounded front. Wording on the washer is in gray, black and silver, giving the white machine a somewhat futuristic appearance.

The Samsung WF209ANW is packed with useful features. My favorite feature of this machine is that it does not require the user to estimate whether the load is small, medium, large, or extra large, as some machines do. Instead, the machine is able to judge for itself the size of the load, thus allowing it to provide just the right amount of water to get the job done. Cycle options are as follows: Normal, Heavy Duty, Whites, Permanent Press, Wool, Delicates, Spin Only, and Rinse and Spin. Normal works well for everyday use. Heavy Duty is an excellent choice that helps get rid of the dirt and grime of clothes worn while completing messy outdoor chores. Whites gives white clothes the extra heat and spinning needed to keep stains at bay. Delicates is great for undergarments and finely constructed garments. I haven't needed to use any of the other cycles, so I cannot comment on them. The best thing about this machine's cycle options is that they automatically set parameters to help you choose the appropriate Temperature (Hot/Cold, Warm/Warm, Warm/Cold, Cold/Cold), Spin (High, Medium, Low, No Spin) and Soil Level (Heavy, Normal, Light), which you also have the power to adjust. For instance, for the Delicates cycle, Hot/Cold is automatically ruled out for Temperature, and Low or No Spin are the only options for Spin. This allows the user to choose options that will be safe and effective for their laundry. The user is also able to choose the sound level for the alarm that sounds when the cycle is complete (Louder, Softer, Off). The alert is useful if you're working on other projects but want to be speedy about handling the freshly washed clothes.

My one complaint about the machine is that, though it boldly proclaims to have "Vibration Reduction Technology", it vibrates violently during high-spin portions of the wash cycle. I have never possessed a washer that did not vibrate during the spin cycle, and this one vibrates no more than the others, but I expected considerably less vibration from this machine because it claims to offer reduced vibration. In my previous residence, the washer and dryer were packed tightly in a small closet. Whenever the washer vibrated, the dryer shook as well, moving around the detergents, fabric softeners, and other laundry-related items I had put on top of the machines. Now that the machines have about a foot of space between them, the washer continues to shake, but it no longer shakes the dryer.

All in all, the Samsung WF209ANW is a great machine at a great value. The features it possesses are useful and effective. If you are bothered by the vibration of a washer, though, you might consider looking elsewhere.

Also, a word on pedestals: Typically, when you purchase a frontloading washer, you also have the option of purchasing a pedestal on which to place the machine. The pedestal that coordinates with this machine has been useful for raising the machine so that it is easier to use, but it has not been useful for storage (at least according to my needs). Bottles of fabric softener and detergent are typically too tall to stand in the drawer, and tipping them over would likely cause leaks. The drawers could be useful for storing towels, laundry bags, or dryer sheets, but because it requires bending down and pulling a drawer open, the location does not provide easy-access storage for items that are frequently used.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews