Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,602,632 times

Advertisements

Bernina Activa 220 Sewing Machine

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I purchased the Swiss made Bernina Activa 220 sewing machine within the last year and am pleased with its performance thus far. The Bernina is supposedly known for its good reputation pertaining to quality and construction and I have found this to be true. The stitch quality is excellent and the construction is solid. This model offers over 100 different stitch types which were a huge selling factor for me in the first place. I paid $1,100 retail for this machine and truly believe that you get what you pay for in terms of quality, features, and longevity. I am quite pleased with this machine.
The machine offers a great tension control as well as versatility when dealing with heavier and stiffer fabric. The machine is solid and somewhat heavy due to the quality construction. It is easy to use even for the novice sewer like me. There is also an automatic needle threader and the up down needle function is also automatic. There is also an easy automatic buttonhole maker that can be done in one step. The optional knee lifter is another great feature of this machine.
The only cons of the machine are the expense because it is over $1,000. If cost is a concern, Singer offers a similar machine that is half the price but is much simpler in terms of features and quality. Also, there is a manual tension adjustment that I believe could be improved on. I would prefer that that the tension adjustment be digital or automatic as opposed to manual.
Overall, I am quite pleased with this sewing machine. The Bernina brand has such a good reputation that I am sure I will be using this machine for years to come. I have a friend who has been using the same Bernina sewing machine for ten plus years and I expect to do the same with this machine.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews