Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Panasonic HDC-TM700K Camcorder - 1080p - 3.05 MP - 12 x optical zoom

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

I have been using camcorders since the time when you carried the VCR in one hand and the huge camera in the other. Believe me; things are much better now than when those pitiful videos of 240 lines of resolution were made. The Panasonic TM700K delivers a great high definition picture and it weighs almost nothing.

If you want to talk about the picture, the 60 frames per second take out most of the blur in moving pictures. The standard output for video is 30 frames, so there is a frame put in between every one of those making everything clearer, especially action shots.

I liked the old cameras that you could perch on your shoulder and you felt so much more in charge, but with the video stabilization of these small cameras, you can use one hand and get excellent steady shots.

This camera puts my old Sony HD camera to shame on picture quality. I am told that the lenses are one of the primary reasons for the excellent images it produces. Leica Dicomar lenses are designed for sharp images that suppress flare and ghosting. Whether the lighting is very bright sunlight or dimly lit nighttime, the camera maintains good resolution.

The fan noise is a quite loud and it would be a better product if this were improved. Some people might be able to overlook that in favor of the picture quality, but if you plan to use the microphone, it will pick up the noise and it is loud.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of video cameras; only what the end result turns out to be. It is possible to pay more than the $999 that this camera retails for, but for the home video buff, there aren't many cameras out there that can beat this one. Even the still shots with this camera are works of art that you can transfer to your own high gloss color prints.

The controls for the camera are clear and easy to understand, but they are so small you almost have to have a pen to keep from pressing more than one at a time. The battery is able to hold a charge for plenty of time, but you might want a backup if you are going to be away from electricity for some time.

Check out this Panasonic when you are ready to move up to your next digital video camera. The only real downsides are the fan noise and the size of the controls, the biggest being the noise of the fan.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews