Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 06:42 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times

Advertisements

I personally listen to SiriusXM NFL radio when I drive to work. I find off season interesting, because during the season my mind is focused on the product - the games played on the field. In the off season, I shift to looking into the business of the NFL.

Listening to talk about how each team has to deal with their own salary cap issues like cap space ability to keep a roster in tact, contract dead money, free agency. To me it's intriguing. The only thing I was not interested in was the combine as I consider that more a dog and pony show - but that's just me. I follow the NFL year round, and not just my home team, the Patriots. I want to know how the competition is stacking up. I like to play the guessing game of how next season will unfold based on what shakes out in the off season. I like to look at the NFC and guess who might make it deep into the playoffs.

The only thing this year that I noticed more than in the past (although I know it always exists) was the extensive media coverage over many of the issues the NFL as a business has dealt with - Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Deflate Gate, etc. I know this is a multi-billion dollar industry, and I suppose being so large opens itself up to public scrutiny. But this over coverage to me detracts from the actual product being the game, and gives it a feel of more sports entertainment than the sport itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 AM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I follow all year long, around here, if you are watching local news, hard not to hear about the Packers. If they release a player, you don't wait until the sports portion to hear about it. All 4 outlets will have a report.

I pay attention to other teams, too, those in the North plus other top teams. I'm always interested in what the Pats, Broncos, Steelers are doing. I'll be interested to see what the Bills put together this year.

Last year Ted Thompson surprised everyone by signing Peppers. News broke on Sat. a.m. with local media wondering how did they get him in and out of GB with no one noticing? I'm wondering what he has cooked up this year, of course, main story is getting Cobb signed and hopefully Bulaga. If Packers can keep that O line together, it would be huge.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
I lurk here, & will follow any NFL stories that make the headline or local news. Occasionally I'll relive watching a play or game on youtube. I don't dig & read up on all the Packers minor off season moves though. Right now there are enough other sports to keep me entertained. The Bucks are playing well. NASCAR has started, & March madness starts in less than 2 weeks. Starting early July, like many others, I'll easily get drawn into another NFL season with high hopes again.

With no Johnny football in the draft, it may be a quiet off season.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
I pay attention to moves by teams I like and moves involving major name players. I also pay attention to local news about the 49ers, less about the Raiders.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times
Yes, I definitely do. I do listen to a lot of the speculation about who the Giants are thinking of drafting and what FAs they are thinking of signing...I mean, outside of March Madness what is the big thing for sports?

Mock Drafts, baby!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:07 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
I'm in constant withdrawal without football, whether it be college or pros! I miss the game something fierce! However, I try and stay up on recent free agent signings and other such info as much as possible.

The craziness of the Eagles unloading Shady McCoy, but the excitement of hearing that RB Frank Gore will come in from the Niners instead! Suh to the Dolphins seems like another crazy move, especially after the Incognito fiasco! The happiness that Larry Fitzgerald has come back to the Cards, and showing that's he's all about team by reworking his salary! Johnny Football? Johnny Fizzle...

Etc, etc...

Yeah, it's still the off season, and I keep looking forward to the next season!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:47 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,716 times
Oh yea, I enjoy following any sport in the offseason. Every sport is more than just about the games. It's also about transactions.

And now with my Rams moving back to Los Angeles, I am really excited about that and I read everything I can find on the pending move.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Hmmm... Frank Gore changes his mind and decides to go with the Colts instead of the Eagles? Wow! Didn't see that coming! Of course, I never saw Gore leaving the Niners in the first place!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,683 times
Andre Johnson decided Colts over Eagles too it appears. If I'm a free agent, particularly a veteran who wants to win a SB, Chip Kelly's moves have made me lose all confidence in the Eagles.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Andre Johnson decided Colts over Eagles too it appears. If I'm a free agent, particularly a veteran who wants to win a SB, Chip Kelly's moves have made me lose all confidence in the Eagles.
Yeah, I'm totally not getting what Chip's doing at this point, but in my opinion, it looks way too weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football