Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 13,314 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old male looking to relocate to Arizona next spring. I have been agonizing over where exactly to settle down. I spent a week in Prescott a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place. Although I didn't have much time to explore and really see if it has everything I need in a "city". Will I have to drive down to Pheonix for anything? Are there decent theaters, cafe's, and things for someone my age to do outside of the abundance of recreational opportunities? Much of a nightlife? I'm also drawn to the colleges in the area.

However, I can't help but feel a draw to Tucson and the surounding areas as I am in love with the desert landscape. Tucson seems to have it's share of poblems, particularly crime. Is Oro Valley worth checking out? Does it meet any of the qualifications I seek? Anything really "happening" or would I have to go into the city for that?

Also, I plan on saving up enough money to pay for a six-month lease and hopefully get a small decent apartment with a price range around $650.

Anyone have any advice, comparing Prescott to Oro Valley or any other areas of Arizona. Please, spare me any trash talking towards either town. Just looking for a practical assesment. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
I can't speak for Oro Valley as I do not live there, but I have been in the Prescott area for 23 years now. Other than the Skyharbor airport, there is no reason to have to go to Phoenix anymore if you live in the Prescott tri-city area. We have a fine, big shopping mall, we have two theaters, one being a big Harkins multiplex, as well as active community theaters and we also have Tim's Toya Center, which attracts big-name entertainment and events. We have multitudes of restaurants for every pocketbook (Outback, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Chilis... and many, many more cafes and such), we have music and dancing along Whiskey Row as well as other nightlife options (depending on your age). The area is pretty much self-sustaining now.

Rentals and real estate are higher in Prescott than in Prescot Valley or Chino valley, of course, but you did not really mention that in your questions. Hope this helps a little. In short, there is everything anyone would need in the Prescott Tri-City area... at least in my opinion.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM

287 posts, read 896,889 times
IMO Tucson would probably be the best for a younger person in terms of rent, nightlife, school, etc. Oro Valley I think is more home oriented (its been a long time since I've driven through it). And crime in Tucson isn't any more than any other comparable city of its size. Perhaps you'd be better off looking for a roommate situation wherever you decide to settle. At least you would more likely be able to live in an area you want to live in.

You didn't mention what you do/will do for a living. That can play a big role, too.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM

105 posts, read 682,542 times
Hello...I'm a 24, soon to be 25 year old female that just relocated to Oro Valley from Orange County, Cali about six months ago. Didn't bring anyone with me- just packed up my car and left- didn't know anyone in Tucson either.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much this place has grown on me. At first I thought i'd never get used to it, I was bored outta my mind and I felt pretty isolated. Now that i've made a few friends and gone exploring I see there is SO much to do. I really feel like Oro Valley/ Tucson has it all. There are malls to go shopping, restaraunts to go out to dinner, bars to hang out at on the weekends, mountains to go camping/ hiking/ snowboarding etc. It's like being able to enjoy the best of city and small-town life at the same time. I am really happy here.

You can rent pretty nice places for fairly cheap too (compared to Orange County)

Hope that kind of helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott