Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:30 PM

24 posts, read 33,607 times

Advertisements

Anybody live in any of these cities? How did you like it,how are the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 11,549 times
Default Prescott and Prescott Valley

I've been to Prescott and Prescott Valley and I like it. It's not too far from Flagstaff AZ.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,924 times
I grew up here in AZ and have been an outdoors person my entire life. Let me add a little wisdom to your ???
Prescott- high desert- beautiful if that's what you like. Housing, expensive now, but worth it! There are a couple of small lakes in the area. schools. GREAT! It is country living with all the ammenities and then some. However, you will not find OPEN spaces to ponder like back East or even in the midwest. It is more "encased" as it is a small valley. It has a small town feel during the week, but from March to about December it is a total tourist town. There is a "sqaure" downtown that people frequent and always an activity weather it be a big band, art show, biker rally, antique show. There are several camps in area as Prescott is only 1 1/2 hour drive phoenix and a great escape that MANY do from Fridays to Sunday. There is lots of history (comparitively speaking) and it cherished by all. It is really just a great place for families as well as young or older singles. Ther can be lots to do, or you can just hang out and watch the days roll by.
PRESCOTT VALLEY---- it is a whole different creature......... don't let the name fool you.
Payson- pretty much the same terrain. nice small town feel. It is probably a few years behind Prescott so great value for the $$$. Just keep in mind, the the era a town grows is a huge reflection on the way it feels.... The forest around Payson has burnt terribly in the past4 years and escaping to the forest is not what it used to be.
gotta run, hope that helped

Old 07-05-2006, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
Smile Payson

I would like to know more info on Payson. Did you decide to move there? I want to buy 10-20 acres outside of town. Presently I am in northern Ca, but grandkids are in Phoenix and I want to get closer to them, but not live in the desert. I lived in Yuma Az the desert for 20 years

Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 97,649 times
Default Difference Prescott and Payson

Prescott is closer to I-17 which is the main road north to Flagstaff and south to Phoenix. Still a small community with not enough retail yet. Very busy during the winter.

Payson is a little further away from I-17 but has a lot more going for it as it is a summer handout as well as Show Low near by. I personally like Payson even with the summer group. Seems everyone leave Phoenis during the summer and lives in Payson or Show Low beacuse it is much cooler. Prices for prorperty is still reasonable but hurry it is going up.
Payson has a lot more trees....

Iggy in Surprise AZ

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Mckorn
I would like to know more info on Payson. Did you decide to move there? I want to buy 10-20 acres outside of town. Presently I am in northern Ca, but grandkids are in Phoenix and I want to get closer to them, but not live in the desert. I lived in Yuma Az the desert for 20 years
We replied to this post because we have lived in Arizona for 20 years and owned land outside of Payson. Payson is approximately one mile high in altitude. (5280 feet) I owned land at about 6,500 feet. I wanted a mild four season climate. A lot of people think that Payson provides that, and maybe it does. As far as land outside of Payson, it depends if you are going higher or lower in altitude because that determines the climate. We thought that our land was in the same climate as Payson. It was not! The first year it snowed so much that the County closed the forest road for the season. They only opened roads to houses so that the people were not snowed in all winter. Payson had snow but it was not that bad. Anyway, we sold the land because it was just too much snow so for us.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 AM

62 posts, read 458,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonout
I grew up here in AZ and have been an outdoors person my entire life. Let me add a little wisdom to your ???
Prescott- high desert- beautiful if that's what you like. Housing, expensive now, but worth it! There are a couple of small lakes in the area. schools. GREAT! It is country living with all the ammenities and then some. However, you will not find OPEN spaces to ponder like back East or even in the midwest. It is more "encased" as it is a small valley. It has a small town feel during the week, but from March to about December it is a total tourist town. There is a "sqaure" downtown that people frequent and always an activity weather it be a big band, art show, biker rally, antique show. There are several camps in area as Prescott is only 1 1/2 hour drive phoenix and a great escape that MANY do from Fridays to Sunday. There is lots of history (comparitively speaking) and it cherished by all. It is really just a great place for families as well as young or older singles. Ther can be lots to do, or you can just hang out and watch the days roll by.
PRESCOTT VALLEY---- it is a whole different creature......... don't let the name fool you.
Payson- pretty much the same terrain. nice small town feel. It is probably a few years behind Prescott so great value for the $$$. Just keep in mind, the the era a town grows is a huge reflection on the way it feels.... The forest around Payson has burnt terribly in the past4 years and escaping to the forest is not what it used to be.
gotta run, hope that helped
MOVINONOUT: Why do you say that Prescott Valley is entirely different from Prescott? I've never been - Are you saying dosn't have all the amenities that Prescott does?....Not as great a place for families...??? Just curious...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
<<MOVINONOUT: Why do you say that Prescott Valley is entirely different from Prescott? I've never been - Are you saying dosn't have all the amenities that Prescott does?....Not as great a place for families...??? Just curious...>>

Put it this way: Do you like front yards littered with auto parts, like old tires and transmissions?

Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM

273 posts, read 1,649,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer
Put it this way: Do you like front yards littered with auto parts, like old tires and transmissions?
Well, one man's litter is another man's lawn art.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM

29 posts, read 157,256 times
Default Payson or Prescott

Prescott Valley has ALOT of new housing developements already there and more coming. It's a very fast growing community. As with ALL areas ANYWHERE this is good with the bad. It just depends on your tastes. There is plenty of shopping with even more on the horizon. We moved to Prescott 14 years ago and had to go to Phx everytime we needed to do major shopping...not anymore. It's all right here. Plenty of outdoor activities, camping and lakes, hiking and picnicing. Weather is very mild but some areas in Prescott Valley are windy. It's basically pretty flat surrounded by Mountains. Schools are considered very good in PV and Prescott. Whole surrounding area is booming. Great for families. Please check job market first before moving. Some feel wages aren't high enough for housing BUT things are changing. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott