Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 AM

351 posts, read 666,720 times

Advertisements

Well today Phoenix took first place as the most polluted city in America which it is. The PM2.5 is at 160 and so is Tucson. There is no county in AZ besides Phoenix and Tucson which will give you the PM2.5 measurements so there is no place to run to in this state. So I wonder if I should go to Prescott today since my lungs aren't that good. I will move there in February if I last that long with the dirty air here in Phoenix. Prescott doesn't have air measurements so I'm assuming the air up there is good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
Well today Phoenix took first place as the most polluted city in America which it is. The PM2.5 is at 160 and so is Tucson. There is no county in AZ besides Phoenix and Tucson which will give you the PM2.5 measurements so there is no place to run to in this state. So I wonder if I should go to Prescott today since my lungs aren't that good. I will move there in February if I last that long with the dirty air here in Phoenix. Prescott doesn't have air measurements so I'm assuming the air up there is good?
We have wonderful air up here, but the "up" is the key. If you have breathing issues, then the thinner air at 5,000 feet may not solve your problem.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,121 times
Quote:
You are in EPA Region 9. Pacific Southwest Region | US EPA

This is the air quality home page for Region 9. Air | Region 9 | US EPA You can play around with it and see where it leads you. If you're not getting the information you need from the state you can contact the Region 9 air division with your complaint and see if that helps.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
Quote:
You posted this same thing in the Phoenix forum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...r-quality.html

I wonder what the good folks in Tucson think of this comment of yours:
Quote:
I do look at other places like Tucson with its blown clouds and dust.
Too bad the Tucson forum folks don't wonder over here often. Their air quality is generally considered pretty good.

Yes, Prescott has some great air... you know, being up in the mountains.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Then there is no inversion layer in the PV or CV area? Probably the wind has something to do with the pure air as well(?)

Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,537 times
The Prescott area has good air but at the price of having the WORST pollen count in spring than any other city in the Western U.S..

Plus you are at 5,000+ feet in elevation, so the air/oxygen count is less. Even cars are affected by the lack of oxygen. A vehicle loses 17% of its horse power due to the elevation in Prescott. The higher you go, the worse it gets.

If you have breathing problems, Phoenix has issues during winter. Prescott is better but you have cold & thin air up here, which is bad for your lungs also.

I would try another state, Arizona is not the best for people with lung issues.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,694,346 times
Sure it does, and where is your data to back that statement up?
This report, only a year old shows Phoenix ss in the top 100 and a few other western cities but does not mention Prescott at all.

http://blisstree.com/feel/100-worst-...for-allergies/

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:

As far as I know, Phoenix has bad air quality but not the worst. It seems like some people love to be over-dramatic about stuff.

Places like Los Angeles & places inland from Los Angeles still have worse air quality than Phoenix.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,537 times
Prescott living up to its 'worst' reputation during allergy season - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona (http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=6554 7 - broken link)

Perched as it is at the junction of three different eco-systems - the Southwest Desert, the Western High Plains and the Western Rocky Mountains - the Prescott area has the dubious distinction of being the worst place in the United States for allergies.

"It's the worst place, period, (without any) qualifications," agreed Dr. Richard Zeschke, a Prescott allergist.

In most parts of the country doctors test for about 35 different allergens. Here, Zeschke said, the test for 64.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,694,346 times
I am sorry, but your local paper link I think is outweighed by the link to the 100 worst cities for pollens in the nation that Prescott did not make.
The local alllergist? Fine, but he's tainted in my opinion as he is here to make money.
Testing for 64 vs 35 irritants is based on the types and numbers normally found in the area and only indicates possible irritants.
Personally, I think if the folks just Google Wrost Cities in the nation for pollens they will find that Prescott did not make any of the lists that I found.
They can decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott