Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 PM

18 posts, read 88,937 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Portland from Indianapolis. Until now, I had a transfer option, but I may have to hit the pavement as soon as I get there to find a job. I have ten years of server experience at upscale downtown restaurants. Could someone educate me on how hard it is to get a restaurant job. Also, it there any way to qualify for the income based housing before you move? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,502,975 times
From all that I know, which is limited as I don't work in the restaurant business, there are many, many, applicants for each and every job at independent restaurants, upscale, middle, casual, and anything in between. Been that way in Portland for years, and years. The city of Portland is mostly about independent food places. The foodie culture attracts a lot of service workers from all over the Left-Coast, and a lot of international cuisine diversity also. Chain franchises are mostly out in the 'burbs.

But who knows, you might be just the right 'fit' for a good job at some place.

Housing Authority of Portland:
HAP - Housing Options Menu (http://www.hapdx.org/about/options.html - broken link)
I'm pretty sure there is a residency requirement, as Portland is full up on homeless, and unemployment. It is now (late spring '10) very high unemployment (by Portland's standards.) Many landlords will require heavy deposits for an apartment (1st, last, security, non-refundable cleaning) to someone new to Portland.

Oh, maybe this will help you understand the 'feel' of Portland's foodie biz:
“Restaurant Guide 2009” | Willamette Week | October 21st, 2009
Willamette Weekly is a weekly 'street' newspaper (pronounced wil-LAM-it or wil-LAM-mit, the river that splits Portland East and West. Aside: the road Burnside splits Portland North and South.)

The Other street newspaper:
Portland Mercury

I'm sure you can find Portland's major Daily Newspaper, the Oregonian, on your own. It is rated as one of the best daily newspapers in the country. It also has a lot of restaurant reviews.

Phil

Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM

716 posts, read 2,829,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aefroyms View Post
I am planning to move to Portland from Indianapolis. Until now, I had a transfer option, but I may have to hit the pavement as soon as I get there to find a job. I have ten years of server experience at upscale downtown restaurants. Could someone educate me on how hard it is to get a restaurant job. Also, it there any way to qualify for the income based housing before you move? Thank you.
Two tips:

1. Don't commit to a move until you have a job already lined up. Do your job searching visits prior to a move.
2. If you can't do #1 then have a backup strategy which is usually a plan to live a year or two with no income while you seek out employment.

The upscale restaurant business is tough in Portland. Discretionary spending cutbacks due to the terrible economy is keeping people from going high end. A lot of people are flocking to the downtown roach coaches for a meal.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,602,023 times
Quote:
A lot of people are flocking to the downtown roach coaches for a meal.
If they are even going out at all. Applebee's always looks full when I pass one by though. One thing I have noticed is the many waitstaff I see are considerably older than what I have seen in the past. I think it's because a lot of older folks who were retired needed to go back to work when the recession hit.

My guess would be that because so many new restaurants open and fail there are a lot of people pounding the pavement looking for work in that field.

Also to address the OP's question about income based housing. He can try HAP housing but the requirements are pretty strict. You have to have some sort of income for those. There is a ceiling for how much you can earn but you have to earn something. There are also waiting list. Granted it was about seven years or so ago when I applied for this that's what I was told at that time.

PS I didn't get in because I made just a few dollars over the maximum limit per year.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,853,344 times
Serving jobs are incredibly difficult to come by. Any restaurant with a serving job in the city itself will receive literally hundreds of resumes. Just because you have 10 years of upscale waiting experience, there's always going to be someone who has 12 years of 5-star experience in Manhattan who also has a master's degree who is competing for the same job. I have literally known of people with master's degrees working in supermarkets as cashiers or coffee shop baristas.

Also, my friend who had 5 years of waiting experience, mostly fine dining, and 3 years with the same restaurant in San Francisco, moved up here in October and JUST found a waiting job downtown. 7 months of unemployment if you have no specialized skills (or even if you do) is not uncommon or unheard of. My brother was unemployed in Southern Oregon for 9 months or so after his entire office was closed by corporate. He was the top salesman in the district and still couldn't find anything except in Washington or California until he got his current job with a family friend, and their business is hurting too.

So even if you find a job, you may not be able to find a good enough job to support yourself or get enough hours. Because of that, 1 in 5 Oregonians is on food stamps and there are probably more Oregonians who qualify for the program but don't get them.

Gloom and doom, the end is nigh. But really... It's grim.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 AM

18 posts, read 88,937 times
Thanks for all of your replies. I think that I am going to work the networking angle very hard before I come out there b/c I am only going to be able to sustain myself for 3-4 months with no income. As far as the income reduced rent, I am going to look elsewhere.

I found some rentals around $600 around the SE and Beaverton. Still trying to pinpoint where I want to come into the city.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 PM

259 posts, read 604,245 times
My son has worked in the industry in Portland for a dozen years. He works in high-end restaurants, but he's had to pay his dues, believe me. I really think that, in Portland, it's all about who you know. It's more like a small town in that regard than a big city. My son knows just about everyone in most of the restaurants in the city. It always blows me away when I visit him. And, given that atmosphere, you're going to be going up against people who've been there for a while and already have connections.

You should definitely try to find a job before you move. And expect to have to work your way up to a decent serving job.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I think that I am going to work the networking angle very hard before I come
Just out of curiosoty, how do network long distance? Do you already know people who can help you here?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 AM

716 posts, read 2,829,212 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your replies. I think that I am going to work the networking angle very hard before I come out there.
You don't seem to understand. Networking is done on foot and in person and becomes like a full time job that can take months or even years. You meet people in the business, setup informational interviews, ask if they have any leads, followup, try new angles, maybe take some classes or attend some seminars, accept some temporary grunt work to prove yourself, etc. This is not done remotely!!

Quote:
I am only going to be able to sustain myself for 3-4 months with no income.
3-4 months might be enough time to start some networking activity but you'd be lucky to line up a decent job in that small time window.

If you already have a job where you are then I'd think twice about any relocation. The Oregon job market stinks and it isn't getting any better. I can't imagine anything much harder to line up then upscale restaurant work.

Schedule a vactaion or short leave of absence and come out and give it a try but don't give up a current paying job until a new one is lined up.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just out of curiosoty, how do network long distance? Do you already know people who can help you here?
Hey I am quoting myself! LOL!

But seriously I really wanted to know how one goes about networking in a place where they live in a place where they don't. I would like to know that for my own relocation plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland