Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 20,099 times

Advertisements

Hi all
ok
so you are looking to move to portland and are wondering id there are restaurant job's to be had.
You have seen all the negitive posts and have had lot's of negitive feedback on your post telling you there is no hope and to just stay where you are.

Well don't believe all that!!!

I do not know what is wrong with so many of the people who post from portland oregon on city data but i have not found hardly any of the negativity that is flooding the threads.

So here are the facts as i experienced them. The good,bad and ugly.
1. (there are no restaurant job's in portland) well not true! I found a 35 hour a week gig bartending at a nice busy place downtown and i got it before i even moved here.
I had to hustle to get it with lot's of resume's,e-mails, phone call's and some mailed photos but after 2 1/2 weeks i had a good job.
2. (one in a million) no, not one in a million because my roomate who i moved to portland with scored a job as a waiter in 4 day's.
3. (but what about the high price of rent) really, rent is expensive in portland if you are moving there from a tent but if you are coming from any kind of city it is about the same. I am from florida and in portland i am spending 200.00 less and that is for a nice house on the east side instead of a apartment in a not so nice area. I have been mugged 3 times this year alone and i live in a safe area.
4. (what about transportation) no car in florida = a 2 1/2 hour commute, no car in portland = 45 minutes
5. (but the rain!!) yeah it does rain a lot in portland, it also rains every day in florida and not the drizzle like portland but a windy, thunder and lightning mess. Look at it this way if you do not like rain, maybe you should look at phoenix not portland.

If you work in the restaurant industry and are thinking of coming to portland here are a few hint's to success.

1. Put in the time,applications,resumes,ect. Try to speak to a manager at every one you apply to even if they are not hiring. Be aggressive!! This will not hurt your chances. Managers want someone who is not afraid to assert themselves.
2. If you sit around smoking dope drinking micro brew and patting your self on the back for recycling the 11 beers you had for breakfast than you most likely will have lot's of free time on your hands.
3. Try to give them a open schedule, yes you have school,kid's ect but they have a business and do not care about your history degree. One great thing about a restaurant is you can pick up and give up shifts easy. Once you are trained and in you can almost write your own schedule.
4. Vegetarians i applaud you on your life style (but) if you do not like to touch,smell or eat meat you will have a hard time. Why would someone want a doctor who does not like blood to operate on you. If you are vegetarian look for vegetarian restaurants and spend the money you save on meat on your rent because portland has a lot of vegetarians with the same idea and not to many vegetarian restaurants. You can also just not tell the hiring manager you don't eat any meat just as you would not push religion on them.
5. Try craigslist. It is a great web site with lot's of jobs and housing options. I have had so much luck on craigslist i rarly bother with the newspaper classifieds.

So

do not be discouraged by posts telling you there are no job's in portland because there are!! I am proof of that.

Also here is a fact. People in oregon and this goes back to the first time i moved here in 85 will do there best to scare you away. Yes it is true. They are very protective of there state and should be because it is a wonderful place to live (but most) people wanting to move to portland are not from a 3rd world country and just want a better life and living condition. Take any advice with a grain of salt and look at the motive of the person who tells you to just stay home there are no job's. I know portland is hurting and so is florida,michigan and every other state. Really, show me a post that reads (there are job's everywhere and the cost of housing is cheep).

I do not know about other occupations but i do know that in a pinch or for a career working in a restaurant can be very rewarding and about the easiest job to get with some brains and a little expierience and if you lack expierience then do not be picky.

I hope this post gives a little sunshine to those looking to relocate.

P.s my cap lock button is broke,sorry for the big letters,no need to post that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,111,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyy View Post
I had to hustle to get it with lot's of resume's,e-mails, phone call's and some mailed photos but after 2 1/2 weeks i had a good job.
Well, if you send blackmail pictures of the restaurant manager from last year's Christmas party, then sure, you'll get a job quickly.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Ah, the impassioned objectivity of the newly converted. I wonder how many hundreds of thousand waitperson jobs there are in Portland? Whoever wants it can have the one with my name on it. I'm holding out for a Technical Support Analyst position.

H.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,833 times
try Netflix, Leisesturm

Old 09-17-2009, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Well, good for you. I hope your job turns out to be a great success. You say you don't understand the negativity you were met with when you first asked about jobs here. Even though it isn't effecting you, after living here for awhile, I think you will see where it comes from.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
Well I'm glad you made it to Portland and things are going so well for you!

Now try finding a good steady job that pays decent wages so you can afford a mortgage, car payment(s) and a family!

AHHH YOUTH! To be able to move across the country on a whim and survive on a 5 - 10 buck an hour job is something many, many, people can only dream of.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: o

Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,682 times
Question mugged 3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyy View Post
Hi all... i have not found hardly any of the negativity that is flooding the threads... I have been mugged 3 times this year alone and i live in a safe area...
Can you elaborate on how you live in a safe area & were mugged 3x? Seriously, I'm very interested as I have also thought about whether to move to P. from Eugene. I'm also wondering how mugging correlates with a safe neighborhood & your advocation of moving to Portland.

I've never been mugged & I've certainly lived where I've needed to watch my back (as a woman).

Kate

Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
I would take the OP with a grain of salt as he suggests you take the negative posts.

I do not work in the industry, but I keep up on it via blogs of people who do. Getting a job is really rough right now. Owners and managers are getting flooded with hundreds of applications from not only the highly qualified, but even from people with degrees coming from high paying jobs.

I don't want to deter anyone, but I do want you to know what others have experienced.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,682 times
I'd say OP's experience was a fluke. Wonderful stroke of luck.

Kate

Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,569,249 times
Food service jobs, the world over, are notoriously easy to get...for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland