Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

After a couple years' worth of researching and visiting friends who live in the Hawthorne/Belmont area and relatives in Camas, I am close to arranging a telecommuting situation with my job and relocating to one of several possible areas in the PNW. I need help zeroing in on some final Portland areas to look at for my possible relocation.

I lived in SF for almost 20 years, and then in a college town of 60K the last 7. I find as I get older, I don't really miss some of the downsides of a large city, like the homeless panhandlers, trash on the streets, noise, etc. Hawthorne is just a tad too "funky" for me, though I love visiting there. Sellwood seemed nice when I drove around it a couple years ago - a little quieter and "older" but still with shops and cafes in the area.

So I'm wondering if maybe a Portland suburb might work for me. The problem there is, I also don't like bland, cookie-cutter places with no character. I'd like a town with some downtown charm and walkability, but close enough to Portland to easily go in and out to do "city" things and visit my friends. Commuting will not be a factor as I'll be working from home. My price range to purchase a house would be up to $400K, but the closer to $300K, the better.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have. I'll be making my next visit in two months and would like to check out some of the areas folks suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Although these aren't suburbs, I think they'd fit the bill. Multnomah Village and Hillsdale (not to be confused with Hillsboro which is a suburb and fairly far out). It's a hilly area, but has all that you're looking for. They are right next to each other and each has their own small central village. Lots of pretty neighborhoods with some older homes. Very diverse (as Portland goes). Colorful Sunday Farmer's Market in Hillsdale. Multnomah Village is an antiquing destination. Close to downtown and the 'burbs. I've lived in Hillsdale for 20 years and just love it. Pretty much 15 minutes in any direction gets you most of what Portand has to offer. Downtown, Hawthorne, the Pearl, Beaverton (although a suburb, it butts right up to the Hillsdale and Multnomah areas and has all your shopping needs). Here's a link to a Hillsdale Newsletter that might help you get the feel for the area.

Homepage

OK I'm done cheerleading now!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Although these aren't suburbs, I think they'd fit the bill. Multnomah Village and Hillsdale (not to be confused with Hillsboro which is a suburb and fairly far out)...Here's a link to a Hillsdale Newsletter that might help you get the feel for the area.

Homepage

OK I'm done cheerleading now!
Thanks! I've read about MV and looked online at homes there, and it looked like a possibility, so I'll check it and Hillsdale out on my visit.

I guess I don't really need a "suburb" necessarily...just a neighborhood that's a little quieter and less "colorful" than where my friends live!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Sellwood, Brooklyn, Clinton all are very walkable neighborhoods. You may want to take a look at Woodstock, too. You'd have nearby grocery stores, neighborhood restaurants & coffee shops.

Here's a site which give info about different neighborhoods.
Portland Neighborhoods Guide - Portland Oregon

Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 AM

63 posts, read 222,180 times
Sellwood is definitely a good fit based upon what you said. Home prices there may be a bit higher. As I read through your post, and before I read through the others, Woodstock popped into my mind as well.

Decent restaurants, close to parks, grocery stores and other conveniences (i.e.: Ace Hardware, Radio Shack, and other small shops...no big box), and the home prices will be about 10% less than Sellwood.

You may also consider Rose City. It is a neighborhood that is bordered by Sandy Blvd on the North, SE 82nd on the East and I-84 on the South. THe East end of Sandy (especially around the 40's-60's) is really picking up and there are some nice pockets just south of Sandy in that area.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks, I've checked out that link to the neighborhoods in the past, and found it really helpful. I should look at it again to refresh my memory of the different areas.

I definitely "felt" Sellwood fit me when I was there. I'll check into the other areas, especially the ones in Southeast, when I'm there in September.

I checked out some real estate in Hillsdale and Multnomah Village online, and there were definitely some suitable looking places in my price range. I just want to avoid needing to use my car all the time, so I'd want to be close to stores and restaurants in those areas.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:39 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
If you want to be a out of Portland a bit farther, Newburg has a decent small town central area. Or McMinnville farther still.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Hollywood has some great neighborhoods and you can walk to the Max line.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the additional suggestions. McMinnville sounds really appealing, from what I've read about it, since I don't have to commute into the city. I'll need to research Newburg a bit. Hollywood sounds like a good, cheaper alternative to Sellwood, so I'll check it out, too.

I'm really looking forward to visiting in September because all the other times I've been to Portland have been in the winter, so I've never really experienced the gorgeous summers I hear about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland