Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 AM

9 posts, read 22,238 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am one of the many people based in New York looking to move to Portland. I don't know what caused this recent migration of NY artists...perhaps it's the cost of living here? The fast-paced? I hear over and over that no more struggling artists should move to Portland because the city is already overflowing with unemployed 20-something hipsters. I'm attracted to the city because of its slower pace, its beauty and proximity to nature, and it's quirkiness.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. I'm a writer, and I'm wondering if there is a writing community in Portland. If a current writer living there could tell me, that'd be great. Are there writing groups/workshops? Live readings? Visits from established authors? Zines? Is there a writer's community there and what is it like?

The next 2 questions are about general Portland info:

2. Is it actually hard to meet people? Why do I keep hearing this? Is it hard to date? In New York, people are constantly dating, and I wonder how the Portland dating scene will seem to me.

3. Is Portland's weather like London's? I admit I was affected by the dreariness of London, and I suspect I may be by Portland's as well. Is it truly in the 50's, drizzling, and cloudy everyday for about 5 months out of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
I would say it does feel like England, maybe a bit more dreary like Whales with all the clouds (I lived some in Cambridge when I was younger). Honestly I like it, but some people it can really affect.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

77 posts, read 301,085 times
I would check out Powell's Books, they seem to have writer's giving talks on a regular basis. I'm more of a visual arts person, but I know a fair bit of writers in Portland.

I'm sure you can find a community of like minds fairly easily. I've never heard that it's hard to meet people here, I don't feel like it is. You might have to put yourself out there a bit, most people are pretty friendly.

It's true that Portland has a lot of hipsters and it can be a 'scene' but many good people live here too, they are just doing their own thing.

Also, check out Willamette Week, Portland's weekly publication, they have a section for writer's and community events.

The rain might be a deal breaker for you. it does get dreary, my solution is to garden more- it helps you appreciate the water!

Good luck,
Kim

Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Ok personal experience. All of the New Yorkers and one New Jerseyite I have known who moved here have moved back to New York within a year. I do not think you are going to find what you describe you are looking for here. And the job situation being what it is, unless you have lots 'o cash that will be a problem.

I know several struggling and I do mean struggling writers who would change places with you in a New York minute if they could afford to.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I, on the other hand, grew up in New Jersey and lived there until I was over 30, and have now lived in Portland for the last 15 years and love it!

Here are some resources for local writers:

www.portlandwriters.com
www.willamettewriters.com
www.writearound.org
www.oregonauthors.org
www.atticwritersworkshop.com

I also think it would be fun if Willamette Week would sponsor a gathering of writers of cowboy fiction. They could call it the Willamette Week Wild West Writers Workshop Weekend, and the website could be www.wwwwwww.com (not a real link).

Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM

252 posts, read 960,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvicvictoria View Post
2. Is it actually hard to meet people? Why do I keep hearing this? Is it hard to date? In New York, people are constantly dating, and I wonder how the Portland dating scene will seem to me.
It's hard to answer this question, unless you tell us your gender, sexual orientation, and approximate age. Older lesbians will experience Portland's dating scene rather differently from younger straight guys.

As far as your other concerns, yes the weather is dreary in the winter and tends to be overcast with on-and-off drizzle from roughly October to April.

Established authors frequently visit Portland, often doing readings at Powell's Books, which is a hub for things literary in the city. Zines a big (as is "alternative" / "indie" publishing generally), with an annual zine symposium at PSU. Ursula K. Le Guin and Chuck Palahniuk are the most famous authors who reside in Portland. That said, Portland is not New York. New York is the center of the publishing industry in the US and probably the biggest hub of literary activity in the US. Portland is by no means a literary backwater, but it is not in the same league as New York.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,470 times
I'm a New Yorker, and so are my parents and grandparents. We moved out here in the early 90s and have only gone back to visit. NY is very different than PDX, and I miss some aspects of it. But I prefer living in PDX - at least on my income! I know a lot of other ex-New Yorkers who have lived in Portland for years. Off the top of my head, I can think of five that aren't related to me.

Portland IS a tough town for dating. People are just much more stand offish or - to look at it another way - they are more polite. Too polite. The men are extremely passive compared to men in other cities; that's just my experience! The energy here is just so different ... like apples and oranges. I resorted to online dating because it was so hard to meet people who weren't already in my little circle of friends. When I would travel to any other city (with the possible exception of Seattle), I would get hit on at LEAST three or four times a day that I noticed. And I'm not some hot chick; I'm pretty average. In Portland, I'd be lucky to get hit on once a year.

It's just weird like that! People are in relationships, but dating is just not the same. Esp. for a woman.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
I agree with others about the weird dating/relationships aspect of the culture compared to other cities, though as someone who has lived in the Northwest my whole life, it just feels like the norm to me. MORE often than not people (particularly natives) will be rather cliquey and not let you into their inner social circles. We're pretty hard to get to know GENERALLY. Not always the case however and what you bring to the table can be a big influence. When someone says, "We should hang out and get coffee sometime," and you exchange phone numbers, it is more of a polite courtesy than a serious invitation to hang out.

Basically if you can get a job in Portland it would be an artist's/writer's paradise. Also if you can handle the weather, which I believe is similar to London's, but the rain is concentrated in the late fall/winter/spring. Summers are very dry in contrast to London which I believe has fairly similar levels of monthly rainfall all year (someone who knows better feel free to correct me). The singles/dating scene in Portland is hit or miss for a lot of people in my experience.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 22,238 times
Hello again,

I thought my 2nd post was successful, but I don't see it up here! I have some additional questions:

WHy is Portland's job market tougher than other US cities? I didnt think anywhere would be more challenging than NYC, but apparently Portland is! I don't understand!

In general - are the salaries lower in Portland? The cost of living seems much cheaper than other US cities, but I wonder if lower salaries nullify the advantage of cheap living closets.

Minervah - what were the most common reasons the New Yorkers and New Jersey people had for leaving PDX?

Also, I'm a straight female in my mid 20's, and it sounds like the Portland dating scene may be challenging for me....

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I'm planning to make 2 visits to Portland - 1 in the summer, and 1 in the winter. I think I need to check out Portland during the winter before deciding if I can move there!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Writing, bookstores, POWELLS - ALL POSITIVE!

Dating scene...uhmmm...not many places to really meet people...maybe in classes and such. But it is so caucasian and just that entire culture of being afraid to offend someone...or to seem macho...when you want to project open-mindedness and above the 'male/female' dynamics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: