Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 AM

70 posts, read 212,154 times

Advertisements

I know this has been said time and again, but with the current economy...

RN's job outlook for the next couple years?
Journeyman Electrician outlook for the next couple of years? Both in the Union and private sector/government etc...

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
RN's are always needed. As for journetman electricians, I would think union ones may have a tough time of it for a while as people look to cut costs with nonunion electricians, so maybe if he wants to work for a nonunion shop for a while...

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
RN's are always needed, though it seems like some of the need might be filled by people fleeing the American Auto Industry. There are tons of electricians out of work now, no real things for many to do. If you can stand the sight of blood I would go for an RN (especially a CRNA) over anything in construction or housing right now.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
OHSU is having a moritorium on hiring but I know that Legacy Healthcare Systems is hiring all kinds of medical professionals. Check out their website for listings.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 AM

84 posts, read 195,601 times
Default God bless R.N.'s

The one big problem that makes that line of work BAD is you are working with sick people sometimes. If Paris Hilton or Kardashian come in O.K. A Money Magazine article a while back had "Best Jobs" I remember 2 of them were Park Ranger in Denali, and wine quality control at a winery. I 'll take those over R.N. thank you Good luck...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM

84 posts, read 195,601 times
Default jobs and Portland

May I add even though it may offend the "diverse people" out west! A former co worker of mine e-mailed me today "God put us here in his plan" ! I am not smart enough to respond to these words, but what I can say is "Enjoy you great weather in Portland ! We are still dragging winter hear near Chicago! Subsound posted a cute label for office workers, "cubicle monkey" ! That is why I would not want some office job ! Also when you go in for an interview, it is one of the WORST times in your life , perhaps equated with going into court ! That is why truckers and plumbers don't need to have some puppy dog look going into an interview,"please hire me" ! Subsound uses better words than I ! He went to school it seems ....I worked for 35 yrs and would never envision being locked up. Live life, get fresh air ! I bumped into the "Dept of The Interior website". Only God knows what they do ! I remember the old movies and they were in conference with the Indians on horses. They must have cool jobs.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I love being a cubicle monkey, I get paid really well to go to meetings and watch my butt grow

Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Cubicles are great. Before them people sat in rows like in school. With cubes you can indvidualize them and decorate them. They also offer a modicum of privacy. It's like having a mini office. I also like office work. To each his/her own. I wouldn't knock anyone else's job choices; especially in this day and age one doesn't always have a choice.

I think Mr Tyrn should loosen up a bit and not be so judgemental.

Getting back to the OP's original question. I would again recommend looking for a job with Legacy. Friends who work there and the staff I encounter when I go there to see my docs all say they love it. I was told that since they have been accepting more and more insurance plans they have been getting more and more patients and are trying to hire enough staff to keep up.

I also hear good things about working for Kaiser but I don't know if they are hiring.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM

70 posts, read 212,154 times
thanks for the answers! I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland