Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 AM

84 posts, read 195,601 times

Advertisements

we all know the "rain comparison" numbers for Portland , D.C. Atlanta, etc. I wish to add , A recent "Best Places " list , perhaps it was Forbes or another, put Tampa as bad and Orland as in the top 5 best. The only trouble was, "the southeast has a terrible climate" ! My wife wants clean fresh air, as God intended it !, not air conditioning. We would never live in Texas or Fla. If one does research, Missoula is no. 1 in the summer. That is why we want Portland or S.F. but I don't think I cn handle S.F. as I have foolishly been an honest man, and not a Bernie Madoff. I wish to ask ! "Where are the good places to live to see Mt. Hood out of your back yard " ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM

162 posts, read 513,181 times
If you are sick of the heat and blazing sun 300 days a year, then there is no better place than Portland. I would guess Portland averages about 180-200 days a year where the skies are primarily gray, and at least 150 days of rain. At first it can take some getting used to. Coming from Texas, I was used to temps of 75 degrees in the wintertime and blazing sun all year round. When it got gray, it only stayed about 1-3 days then it was sunny the next 7 days. Here you will encounter long stretches of overcast weather lasting anywhere from a week to several weeks in extreme cases. However, I love it and appreciate those sunny days 10 times more now. Plus, in the winter the temps are about 45-50 degrees, anything but unbearable.

To get a view of Mt. Hood from you backyard you would probably have to live in the hills, which are located west and southwest of downtown Portland. I think if you live on the east or southeast side, which is not on the downtown side of the river, you could see Hood as well. The view is, however, more spectacular from the hills, but I think these homes must be quite expensive. I have been riding my bike up there recently and am amazed such a view exists in ones own backyard!

Good luck on your choice. Portland is a great city despite some of the many perceived negatives.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 PM

25 posts, read 87,955 times
Living east of Portland in the rural areas can offer some of the best views of the mountain I have seen. It is really a magical area and even tho you may only be 30-45 minutes from downtown, you feel like you're out in the middle of a wilderness... because you are!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:26 PM

117 posts, read 366,564 times
If you like sunshine even half the time, you won't get it in Portland.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM

7 posts, read 41,797 times
Portland gets a trace or more (0.01") of precipitation 145 days out of the year, and receives about 2,155 sunshine hours annually. By comparison, the New York-Boston areas get about 115 rain days and 2,550 sunshine hours per year. Portland's "gloom factor" is very similar to that of the Rust Belt cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh--only Portlanders don't have to endure harsh winters or oppressive summers. Plus, Portland has beautiful scenery and outstanding access to outdoor recreation.

Mt. Hood can be seen from many parts of the metro area, to include downtown and even the western suburbs of Beaverton and Hillsboro.

The secret to making it through a long, dark winter in Portland is to make a point of getting outside every day. Once you're on the move out in the elements, you will feel invigorated and uplifted. Gloom is the worst when you're inside looking out, so get in the habit of exercising or walking in the drizzle at least a half hour a day. Trust me, it makes all the difference in the world!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Interesting statistic.

It's probably pertinent to add that the average number of hours of sunlight vs. dark (12 hrs of each in a day) is 4,380. Which means that Portland is sunny 50% of the time.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
We were at the Beaverton Farmer's Market on Saturday and saw Mt. Hood while driving on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy. You might be able to see it from your backyard someplace in Beaverton.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
The east side of the Chehalem Mtns. which is 30 miles Southwest of Portland. Bald Peak is the highest point between the Coastal range and Mt Hood. (1600')

Being on the east side of the mountain keeps it a tad drier and the elevation keeps it above that miserable Williamete Valley fog that's so common in the winter.

I see not only Mt. Hood but also Mt. Adams, Mt Rainier, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Jefferson from nearly every room in my home.

However the elevation can often mean that when Portland gets rain, we get snow!! Temps average about 5-7 degrees less then Portland.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
All I can say is the rain makes it BEAUTIFUL to say the least. One of the prettiest places in the US...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland