Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 18,347 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am a late 20's native Seattlite dying to get out. I like a lot of things about Seattle, except

1. People - they seem so indifferent and sucked into their own cliques, and the crowds kill me
2. Everything is SO FAR APART!
3. EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking about a move to the portland area with my husband, he may have a few job opportunities down there. We will be headed down there for the weekend, so I am hoping somebody has advice as to where to visit in order to convince us that this is the right move. We don't need to live downtown (although any neat places to go on our visit would be appreciated for ...dinner/drinks?!) We want to live in a neighborhood that has the following:

1. Rent between $900 - $1100 a month
2. A semi walkable neighborhood - we have cars but it would be nice to have stores and restaurant/bars to walk to
3. A place with a yard or dog park within walking distance
4. The MAX
5. I know this is silly, but a Target store preferably (Walmart will do) within driving distance
6. Somewhere pretty new to live in (not like old dark and depressing or as some would say "vintage" apartments) I am not a yuppie transplant from Seattle, but just want a nice place to call home.

We are right at the stage where we are not quite ready to settle into suburbia, however we want somewhere out of the city but without a hassle getting into the city, with nice restaurants closeby. Am I asking for the world here? Also - I am an avid surfer/snowboarder. How far am I looking at going 1-2 hours is OK with me, but what is realistic? Thanks for your help.
Aloha and Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Portland might work for your objectives.

You might want to look at housing on the east side of I-205 (or slightly west of I-205), near a park and the MAX line or Gateway station.

That will allow;
1) quick trips to downtown (Max is pretty fast along I-84 corridor, but VERY SLOW once it hits surface streets)
2) ez access to skiing ~ 45 - 60 min (Mt Hood Meadows via Hood River, or Timberline via hwy 26)
3) ez access to Columbia Gorge for hiking, scenic, wind surfing
4) very handy to Airport / Ikea / SW Washington
5) plenty of services, probably a tad short on 'trendy bars', but close enough to some 'fringe areas'
6) away from the 'high-rent-district' of Portland
7) proximity to variety of jobs
.... its a bit further to the beach (~ 10 min further or 1.2 hrs total w/o traffic)

there is a Target near Gateway Transit station (Mall 205).
Target : Store Locator : Store Details
Portland East

9800 SE Washington St
Portland , OR 97216

another one nearby
11826 NE Glisan St
Portland, OR 97220

The housing near Portland Adventist Medical Center is just south of Mall 205, adjacent and decent. Some parks and open spaces nearby too. There is a variety of housing near this area (Commonly called 'gateway' or Mall 205, Russellville, Montavilla, Mt Tabor, zip 97215 & 97216)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 18,347 times
Thanks! Anyone know of any areas like this in SW Portland? I really don't know the area very well at all - but I think SW is closer to Nike in Beaverton right? Also - what neighborhoods should we stay away from living in? I know up in Seattle here I probably wouldn't live in Capitol Hill, Central, Fed Way, Kent, Puyallup etc...similar areas in Portland?

Last edited by kahulani; 09-02-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland