Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 13,937 times

Advertisements

Im 22 years old and currently I live in San Antonio. Ive been here for about 8 years. I was born and raised in Upstate New York. I am becoming more and more turned off by living in this place. Don't get me wrong, the jobs are plentiful and I like the nightlife BUT there are a few things that turn me off about San Antonio. I was raised in a town where there were very few hispanics, mostly a few Puerto Ricans here and there but never any mexicans. I noticed that mexicans in San Antonio are very racist and closeminded. I have encountered some racism from caucasians but its very rare. I myself am of mixed race. My father is Irish/Native American and Black & my mother is West Indian, Native American and Italian. I guess what I'm trying to get at is are the people in Portland any better? Ive never dealt with so much racism before in my life until I moved to San Antonio and I'd like to get away from it. I know there will always be closeminded people anywhere I go but I'd like to live in a place where it isn't as bad as it is here. And to be honest, I just want to get away from "Mexico".

Also, does it rain as much as everyone says it does?
What are the summers like?
How about employment?
Which area would be a good fit for me? (I'm not much of a big city person)
How about the nightlife?
How is the gay and lesbian scene?
How about colleges? (I'll probably be a junior in college when I relocate)

Thank you!

Last edited by Elle FM; 05-26-2008 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: no personal web site links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Racism is an individual thing so no one should never say never, but a person's race is rarely a matter of concern here. Likewise religion (or not), or sexual orientation (unless you are a 'flamer', in that case move to San Francisco where you will have a lot of company).

Employment? It depends on your profession.

Moving as a junior? in high school? So, where are your parents????

There are very good colleges in Portland: include Reed, Lewis & Clark, University of Portland, Portland State University. Each meeting different student needs.

And, yes it rains. Some say a lot. The summers are great so if you want to see if you like the weather don't come in summer. November or February would be better.

I am going to ignore the question about night life as that should not be a concern for you at this time. If you are thinking of college and wondering about night life you should live with your parents while attending school because you don't have the maturity to stay out of harm's way.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 13,937 times
I meant junior in college.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
If you don't want a big city, you should consider Corvalis (Oregon State) or Eugene (U of Oregon).

Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
If you will be a junior in college you need to check with the admitting university regarding transfer of credits at each of the schools I mentioned. Cross Reed off your list as their program is unique and you really must enter as a freshman.

College students in Portland are not cloistered. What scenes are "in" change and will be impacted by the social circle you develop.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 PM

43 posts, read 197,990 times
Default Nightlife? HA

The nightlife here is in BARS BARS BARS and you will not find anything like New York clubs here. There are a few downtown and they are mostly infiltrated on the weekends by cheeseballs from Beaverton and other burbs. Don't expect raging outdoor festivals with music and free good lovin fun. This does not exist here like in San Antonio.
Yes. It is glomy most of the year. Make sure you bring your indoor projects and hobbies along.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

10 posts, read 37,303 times
For someone concerned with racism you sure mention "The Mexicans" a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland