Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 03:29 PM

22 posts, read 22,175 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
We moved here from Belmont, MA and are actively searching for a home in Lake Oswego. We don't really know the different neighborhoods yet. We know we want a home in a top school district. We also want to buy in a neighborhood that is consistently sought after or "coveted" so when we do sell, it will have appreciated and be easy to sell. What are the most prized neighborhoods in LO? First Addition is obviously up there and if we want a teeny tiny cottage we would be able to buy there. But if not, what are other prime neighborhoods? We are only interested in LO for now. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 05:10 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
There aren't any bad or undesirable parts of Lake Oswego. All the schools are going to be top-rated.

But off the top of my head I would say the more prestigious parts of LO are going to be those that feed into Lake Oswego HS rather than Lakeridge HS. Lake Oswego HS feels like the more tony and prestigious of the two schools. The blue and purple areas on this map, not red and pink areas. Or generally speaking the northern half of the city rather than the southern half.

https://www.losdschools.org/Page/2746

Old 06-28-2021, 09:58 AM

441 posts, read 439,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblumes View Post
Hello there,
We moved here from Belmont, MA and are actively searching for a home in Lake Oswego. We don't really know the different neighborhoods yet. We know we want a home in a top school district. We also want to buy in a neighborhood that is consistently sought after or "coveted" so when we do sell, it will have appreciated and be easy to sell. What are the most prized neighborhoods in LO? First Addition is obviously up there and if we want a teeny tiny cottage we would be able to buy there. But if not, what are other prime neighborhoods? We are only interested in LO for now. Thanks so much.
My in laws lived in Belmont. It was in the late 90's. What a beautiful city with all those old homes. I really have always wanted to live in Boston. Of course now it is so ridiculously expensive we can't.

As far as a house probably one right on the lake is going to hold its value but as someone said there is no bad area to LO. Good Luck on your search. :-)

Old 08-06-2021, 06:51 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Still looking - no bad areas in LO. Best schools in OR. You can tell when you drive into LO from West Linn. Much nicer town than West Linn. I would not consider Hillsboro, Rock Creek, Raleigh Hills, etc unless you work in that area. Traffic can be a real pia.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:35 AM

85 posts, read 115,347 times
LO has the highest school test scores. That doesn't mean they are the best schools. LO is a snobby community. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:38 AM

6,864 posts, read 4,860,189 times
I like LO. I am not impressed with the lake, tho. I wonder if it will dry up if we keep getting droughts every year. But yes, LO is a nice area. I haven't seen any homeless camping out there.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:41 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
LO has the highest school test scores. That doesn't mean they are the best schools. LO is a snobby community. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances.
Having good schools helps somewhat, but having high test scores is mostly the result of having a large population of higher IQ students. It's this way everywhere, not just in L.O.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Having good schools helps somewhat, but having high test scores is mostly the result of having a large population of higher IQ students. It's this way everywhere, not just in L.O.
No, it mostly means they are richer. Test scores correlate almost perfectly with wealth for a whole lot of reasons.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:06 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
No, it mostly means they are richer. Test scores correlate almost perfectly with wealth for a whole lot of reasons.
Income also correlates with IQ. Higher IQ usually mean higher wealth.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Income also correlates with IQ. Higher IQ usually mean higher wealth.
Not when you are talking about school kids. No kids in Lake Oswego or anywhere else have any income yet unless they have a lemonade stand or do baby sitting. So it is the parent income we are talking about not the kids.

Yes, of course, really bright people like Bill Gates and Elon Musk tend to have higher incomes. But that isn't relevant when talking about things like standardized test scores and why wealthy districts perform better on these metrics than poorer districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland