Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,948,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
One other thing--I think we know some people who attend the hipster mega church you are referring to, Yankeemama. The one that's in the office park? Their kid invited my kid to go to the Evergreen aquatic park on a church outing a few years ago. He went and everything turned out fine. But I did get an inside view into the church, and it was pretty flashy for my (fallen Catholic) sensibilities. We never got the hard sell though, at all. Maybe they could see they wouldn't be able to penetrate--I think my kid is more agnostic than I am and has no time or patience for that kind of stuff.
I am a bit paranoid since I live in Beaverton and I don't want to name the church but this church is really trying to be stealth about its recruitment. I get the same creepy feeling from these churches that I did from the mega church I went to in the 80's. Yeah, my kid spent her elementary years in NE Portland do when we take her to our Catholic parish she thinks the "holy water" and "holy bread" and kneeling for half of mass is over the top. My husband and I are comfortable with the non-churched, be a good Christian by following "The Golden Rule" and don't take up two parking spaces kind of morality. 😎 Plus I will give my money to charities directly and to my schools. These mega churches love asking for money and throwing Jesus' name out there in every sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland