Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 13,779 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just moved from out of state for a job in the part of Beaverton that's near Aloha and Tanasbourne. I found a short term room rental through craigslist and want to start my apartment hunt for something more long term. Has anyone had good experiences with apartment complexes in the area?

I've been looking online and it seems like 90% of the apartments have just terrible reviews, but it's hard to know if people are being too picky. I do have a car but am looking for somewhere that's less than a half hour commute. I can do a studio or one bedroom and my rent limit is $800. I'm not used to living in such a developed area and ideally would like to find a complex that's got some nice trees and grass and isn't sitting on top a highway, but my main priorities are something within my budget that's close to work and isn't covered in an inch of mold with a thriving colony of fleas. If anyone has any suggestions for places I should check out, I'd really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
I wouldn't worry too terribly much about online complaints. People go online to complain about things, but they rarely go online to praise anything.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,682 times
I found this using Padmapper.com but there are many in the area to choose from. I picked this because it is very close to Tualatin Nature Park. Happy hunting....

Lease Today for a Great Deal, Walk In Closet, Carport

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Where exactly are you working (nearest major cross streets are fine,) and what apartment complex are you looking at? Your described area is actually pretty huge. Just along 185th by itself there are bad to great apartments on both sides of the street.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Where exactly are you working (nearest major cross streets are fine,) and what apartment complex are you looking at? Your described area is actually pretty huge. Just along 185th by itself there are bad to great apartments on both sides of the street.
Oops, sorry I wasn't specific enough. Still getting a hang of the area I'm working right by 185th and NW Walker. The most promising one I've found so far to check out is Cornell Woods.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
That area up to the highway is fine. There is a couple of huge apartment complexes off of 185th along Evergreen that are pretty popular. I know a few people who have lived there and all liked doing so. There is also a fairly decent complex right there on Baseline next to PCC and the MAX.

Once you get south of Baseline apartments get a little worse, only because they're older and cheaper units. Not because of any crime. In fact crimes of any sort will be pretty low down on your list of issues to worry about. Construction quality, landlord responsiveness and ambient noise from traffic will be much bigger concerns.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Construction quality, landlord responsiveness and ambient noise from traffic will be much bigger concerns.
Agree that those are the main issues in that area.

There are a few complexes that are well-liked, like Creekside at Tanasbourne, but they tend to have long waitlists and I'm not sure if a 1BR currently goes for your price.

IMO many of the other complexes have earned their negative reviews. Though part of it imo is frustration from renters that this was an area that really felt the squeeze from the tight rental market and landlords consistently jacked prices every year for the last 6-7 years, even when the economy was in the tank. Our rent went up about 20% in two years, and then they stiffed us on the security deposit when we moved out.

A number of the complexes are now owned by conglomerates, and my sense living in one is that the local staff became less responsive as that shift occurred. They seemed happy to capitalize on the constantly-available supply of new renters rather than spend money to keep the ones they have. I haven't shopped that market in a year or two now, but at the time the lots were always busy with moving trucks getting people in or out, and open houses in the rental office.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM

Thank you, this has all been very helpful. I looked at Creekside and apartments along Evergreen and they're all out of my price range. Not surprising, they look really nice! Does anyone have any experience (or know someone who does) with Cornell Woods, Willowbrook, or Brookside Estates?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonSD View Post
Thank you, this has all been very helpful. I looked at Creekside and apartments along Evergreen and they're all out of my price range. Not surprising, they look really nice! Does anyone have any experience (or know someone who does) with Cornell Woods, Willowbrook, or Brookside Estates?
I don't know the complex, but I like the area around Cornell Woods (it gets high reviews on Yelp, FWIW) - short walk to that Safeway plaza that has some pretty good eats. With anything right on Cornell traffic noise is potentially going to be a bit of an issue, but I think it's technically 2-lane through that stretch rather than 4. At rush the stretch between there and Bethany can be especially slow. Not sure if taking Walker to Murray would be faster.

Willowbrook can't say much about, other than it has good access to the Nike jogging trails. Probably be driving a lot for services though. If you're looking at Brookside Estates on Scholls Ferry, that's going to be a much harder commute. Personally I'd be hesitant to go that far SE for an apt. compared to where you work unless it was mind-blowingly awesome. Google Maps says that's 15 min, but I'd wager it's more like 25-30 at rush (having done a similar course in the past) unless you're a particularly aggressive driver.

I think the property hamellr was referring to on Evergreen was Terraces. That's not as pricey as the complexes farther west (esp. Thorncroft or Lionsgate) like Palladia, Creekside, Verandas. The quality is so-so, but I'd say it's eminently liveable. And you could walk for many of your services.

I can't find a price for Quatama or the other complexes between Baseline/Walker, but I'd at least inquire. If it's in your range just on location/commute I'd take that over Scholls Ferry.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 AM

59 posts, read 136,911 times
First off, You won't find anything in your price range in Tanasbourne. Rents have gone through the roof in just the last two years. I lived at The Club for four years. They and its neighboring complex, The Terraces were bought by a new management company three years ago and completely renovated. They're nice units, but again, out of your stated price range.

Cornell Woods is an older complex that hasn't undergone any major renovations recently. Windows aren't well insulated, and there is a real problem with condensation. Outside of that, it is a pretty cozy community with a lot of things within walking distance.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland