Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

How is the area around SW201st and Baseline? My primary concerns are safety and floods, but any and all information will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Mihaela2013; 12-28-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
That area is actually Aloha, an unincorporated city between Beaverton and Hillsboro. Safety is not an issue. It's firmly suburbs. I don't know if a crime map exists for that area but I know a lot of Intel workers live throughout the area. But that does mean you rely on Washington County Sheriff. Good news is that I see them patrolling almost as often as the Beaverton Police Department.

Floods maybe a concern with Beaverton Creek, I've seen it flooded a couple of times. But never to the point that homes were threatened. Beaverton Creek is all protected wetlands though, and most every neighborhood has a couple of containment areas that are also protected wetlands. This has helped reduce flooding issues over the past decade, but there may still be a "One Hundred Year" flood that causes issues.

The question that you didn't ask is about Traffic in the area. 185th is a major arterial road, and Baseline gets a lot of traffic from people trying to bypass Tualatin Valley Highway. That huge new development right there that I assume you're moving into is going to drastically add to traffic problems in the area. It used to be a trailer park until about 2007, so now one apartment building is going to have the same population that the entire trailer park used to have. And they're building 10 or 12 of them?

Other major issue to be aware of is that for about one a week in the summer jet planes are flying all over the place for the Annual Hillsboro Air Show held at Hillsboro Airport just down the road.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Thank you so much for such an informative and thorough answer. I will have to look more into the traffic issue. If we move there, my husband will driving to work North on 206th. Wondering for how long does the traffic stop on the 206th to let the Max train pass? I looked at the Max timetable and the trains are quite frequent at peak hours.
That location fits our needs in many other ways, and nothing is perfect, just trying to understand what we are getting into. Again, thank you very much for your reply.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihaela2013 View Post
Thank you so much for such an informative and thorough answer. I will have to look more into the traffic issue. If we move there, my husband will driving to work North on 206th. Wondering for how long does the traffic stop on the 206th to let the Max train pass? I looked at the Max timetable and the trains are quite frequent at peak hours.
Every 7-15 minutes depending on the time of day. For about a minute, it's a negligible impact on traffic. South on 206 can get very bad in evening traffic as there is an Intel office building and a few other large corporate buildings right there as people get off work to get to Baseline or TV highway. I have rarely seen 206 bad going north, but I have never commuted through there more then once or twice a month.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Thank you very much for your answer! We'll come up and visit hopefully in February, and take it from there.
Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,624,310 times
A number of the parks in that area are quite nice for walking, though I'm more familiar with Noble Woods, Rock Creek and Orchard than the ones immediately adjacent to 201/Baseline. But for the most part that area is a lot of 'middle-class' condos and housing developments squeezed in there.

It's nice enough now though when those properties all start to age in a few decades I could see it potentially becoming less desirable. Walkable to the MAX without being right on the line.

I've lived closer to the airfield (without A/C, so open windows) than that address, and while the air show is notable it's probably not going to drive you bonkers. If you're headed anywhere around Brookwood/Cornell, though, the impact on car traffic can be significant that week/end.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 PM

127 posts, read 306,821 times
Hey chivato, that's close to Hillsboritto. Aloha's a very busy Mini-California now, comprendes? Traffic is bad-bad-bad because it's popular and the Westside Bypass Freeway was never built, so the debate lives on while everyone switches to automatic transmission. That area is good, no compelling issues, no flood. I'd live there if I wasn't such a snob these days..

Sorry for shilling, but it's so nice to see new development off 201/baseline!!
Polygon Northwest | New Homes for Sale in Washington and Oregon - The Meadows at Baseline Woods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: