Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 AM

14 posts, read 125,904 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help? My family is relocating to the Portland area next year, and we're trying to narrow down our choices. We've narrowed it down to Lake Oswego, West Linn, Happy Valley and Tigard, the latter two being of significant interest. We can afford a home in any of these areas. Husband works from home, so we can live anywhere as long as he can get to an airport.

Truth be told, we live in an area of California that is VERY much like Lake Oswego and we're familiar with the schools and lifestyle that go along with it. We've found with our older daughter that we feel that the schools are a bit TOO competitive in these areas, for our taste. We don't want to place our son in that situation if we can help it. He'll be going into 8th grade.

We're looking for a place where we can get a fairly large home on a large lot(think 1/2 to 1 acre-ish) but not necessarily a completely "rural" feel.

Can anyone give us some more insight on the Happy Valley and Tigard areas? How are the high schools in those two areas? How is the traffic? Pros/cons to each? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,842 times
Quote:
Fairly large home on a large lot(think 1/2 to 1 acre-ish) but not necessarily a completely "rural" feel.
You are most likely to find such a place in Happy Valley. There are quite a few large, open spaces there, with large lots. A friend of mine lives in one (8 acres). However, keep in mind that if you want a large lot, either the house maybe substandard, or the property quite expensive. There are such properties on the outskirts of Tigard, but fewer I think.
Also, keep in mind that all of Tigard and surrounding areas are located within Washington County. Happy Valley is split between Multnomah County and Clackamas County. Multnomah County has substantially higher real estate taxes, while providing no advantage over Washington or Clackamas counties. The extra money is spent by the Multnomah County politicians on expensive pet projects such as the Street Car, Aerial Tram etc.

Quote:
How are the high schools
Tigard a clear winner. The Tigard-Tualatin school district is not as good as Lake Oswego, but very good nonetheless. Large portions of Happy Valley belongs to Centennial High School, an under-performer when compared with most PDX suburban districts (my friend has 2 teenage daughters that go there)

Quote:
How is the traffic?
As most places in Portland, bad or really bad, but it primarily depends where you need to go. Daily commute to downtown by car from Tigard is a nightmare, commute from Happy Valley not much better either.
However, if you don't need to commute to downtown, you should be fine in either location, local traffic is tolerable.

Quote:
Pros/cons to each?
I lived in Tigard (Bull Mountain area) for 5 years. I also visit my friend in Happy Valley a lot, and I'd say I like both areas equally. Tigard has a higher concentration of various amenities (shopping, movies, gyms, restaurants etc.) but more 'congested' feel.
Much of Happy Valley is more wide-open and spread out. It feels nice, but it means you will spend a lot of time in your car trying to get anywhere.
Even if you are "used to driving" in California, there is no need to repeat that habit here. One of the major advantages of PDX metro area is that there are lots and LOTS of places, both in the Portland proper and in the suburbs, that allow bicycling, public transit or even walking as the primary mode of transportation.

When I lived in Tigard, I had the following within 10 to 20 minute walk
-Gym (24 hour fitness)
-3 supermarkets (Albertson, New Seasons, Safeway)
-Movie theater
-Public library
-Multitude of stores and restaurants.
I love the area: https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.43026...42272&t=m&z=15
and still keep the house there. I moved because I started to get a lot of work downtown, and my new location in Garden Home provides for much easier access.

I'd say come and visit, then decide. When visiting, don't just drive by on a few major highways, explore the "deep" neighborhoods in both places to get a better feel of them.

Last edited by skiffrace; 10-17-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Happy Valley is much closer to the airport. Most of Happy Valley is in Clackamas County, and I'd say you want to make sure you are in Clackamas. The North Clackamas School District is good, but not "driven." Taxes are also lower. You're also near to the Clackamas Town Center (mall), with lots of shopping available. And a MAX line that will take you downtown, or connect easily to the airport.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 125,904 times
Thanks for your replies so far, they are VERY helpful. If we choose Happy Valley, we're interested in Clackamas High. Is that one an under-performer like Centennial? Enrico, what do you mean by NCSD not being "Driven?"

The school my older daughter goes to right now is extremely driven and competitive. Many of the kids are pushed so hard that they end up miserable, depressed and burnt out. I've had to counsel my daughter through all 4 years of her high school down here so she doesn't end up like what I described above. This post earlier this year(second one on the thread, made by Twilighter) really hit home for me when I read it. It sounds so much like what the kids go through in our high school down here. We don't want that for our son. So I guess the high school is a big deal to us. We want one that is academic, but a little less competitive. We also want to stay in this area for a good 20+ years, so we want an area we'll be happy in after the kids are gone, too.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
NC12 is a good school district, it's just not an over-competitive school like LakeO or West Linn. Here's the Oregonian's info on Clackamas High School. The school itself is fairly new, and a very nice campus. I was there once for a competition, and it was a great building.

The West Linn/Lake Oswego area is the high-rent district of Clackamas County, and the schools reflect that. Happy Valley is just a step below that, but still a very upscale, area with lots of new growth. And I think the school reflects that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland