Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,318,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
LOL - let me go on - this is some of the best pizza I have ever had: FORNINO PIZZA - Brooklyn, NY - Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Brooklyn Bridge Park
Quote:
NYC pizza is amazing! Not the garden-variety slice places, but... Luzzo, Una Pizza Napoletana, Motorino...
Meh, I disagree. Obviously some people this NYC pizza is the best, but for me, it is okay at best. It is usually something that I eat here when I don't have the time or money for anything better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,548,859 times
Just wondering (and I know this is irrelevant in this topic), what is your preferred style of pizza?

There are many different styles of pizza in NY. There is the Sicilian slice at DiFara's, the garden-variety, chewy-crust $1 slice, etc. Have you had *any* pizza in New York that you find acceptable? If so, where at? I'm just curious! Thank you.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Just wondering (and I know this is irrelevant in this topic), what is your preferred style of pizza?

There are many different styles of pizza in NY. There is the Sicilian slice at DiFara's, the garden-variety, chewy-crust $1 slice, etc. Have you had *any* pizza in New York that you find acceptable? If so, where at? I'm just curious! Thank you.
I actually like this place on Flatbush, they tend to be decent. I prefer the cheaper places because whenever I have spent $5-10 on a slice, I didn't feel like I got my money's worth, and I refuse to pay more than that for a slice of pizza. I have had a couple pies in Manhattan that were decent, but nothing I dream about eating.

Now Lou's in Chicago, I dream of their deep dish pizza. I get one every time I am in Chicago. For me, that is the pizza that gets me excited, everything else is just food that I eat when I need too.

I use to go to Pizzicato a lot as well as Hot Lips, I always found something there I liked. There is a place on East Burnside that I remember being good that opened up a bit before I moved. Also, if it is still there, there is a cart on Stark that does this wheat and flour mix dough that tastes good, but is a little pricey for a cart.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,932,166 times
I used to go to a place in West Village, another place in Little Italy and really good pizza in Carrol Gardens. I like the NY thin crust. I have to admit though, being from S.F., I am not that particular about my pizza. Sourdough... now that's another thing!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
He can express what he wants. As can I. If Portland isn't cutting it because its not like Chicago, then I recommend he move back to Chicago.
But he never said that. He never said Portland wasn't cutting it for him. He was simply making some comparisons. Often when people move from one city to another they will make comparisons, it's only human nature; it's not a bad thing.

I moved from Chicago to Portland 35 years ago and occasionally I still find myself making comparisons. I also do that sometimes when I travel to other cities as well. Big deal.

The bottom line is the OP was nice enought to return to CD and give us an update on his progress in Portland after posting here prior to his move and asking questions about this city. Most people do not do this so it's really good to have feedback. And feedback with honest opinons is always welcome.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Ah sourdough... nothing is as delicious, Yankeemama, except maybe some cultured butter to go with it :-)
Urbanlife, I get your drift - it sounds like you are a fan of the Chicago deep-dish.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,932,166 times
I love how we, Portlanders can always digress onto FOOD!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 PM

Yes indeed

Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I love how we, Portlanders can always digress onto FOOD!
There is some amazing food in Portland, and for cheap compared to other culinary cities.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 AM

15,290 posts, read 17,784,691 times
The best pizza I ever ate was in Milan, pretty much a traditional pizza. Amsterdam was a close second; roasted garlic and olive oil, no tomato. Third place was Winthrop, Washington; traditional pizza topped with smoked elk sausage and chanterelles.

The worst pizza I have ever tasted was in Portland, at a chain which shall be nameless, but the CEO thought he would run for president once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland