Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,201 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have been living in Nashville, TN for the past year and absolutely hate the place. On the bright side it has made us realize where we do want to live--and that's Portland.

I'm a self-employed artist and one downside to moving is that I will be giving up a couple thousand square feet of studio/workshop space. But I've been working too hard lately, and feel the need for some downsizing anyway. So while I will have to replace some of the space in Portland, I probably won't _need_ more than just the size of a one or two car garage.

So that leaves two options. We can either rent a house that has the necessary shop space (i.e. a one or two car garage/equivalent), or rent a house/apartment that doesn't and rent additional shop space elsewhere (I would slightly prefer the second option--I like having to actually go somewhere outside of the house to work). The work I do isn't all that messy, but includes grinding/sanding, compressor and other machine noises, and some work with torches.

I have a show coming up in May that should pay for the move and living expenses for a while, so we plan on filling up a Penske and heading over at the beginning of July.

What I am trying to figure out in the mean time is where we should be looking to rent. We want to live in the city as close to downtown as possible and not in the suburbs, and I would like the shop to be within a reasonable distance from the house/apartment, so I could just walk/bike/use public transportation and leave the car at home. It seems like maybe something in NW Portland close to some industrial building space I could rent might work, but I am not really sure. I would really appreciate any advice as to what/where the best places to rent shop space would be so I could start to narrow my search.

Oh, and the wife would love it if the rent for the shop space was less than the rent for the house/apartment :-).

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 AM

478 posts, read 883,132 times
What is your budget?

Will your wife be working? If so, what does she do (will she be getting a job before you move?)

Where will the money be coming from if your art doesn't sell?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,207,062 times
You could probably rent a roll-up door industrial space. Those are basically garage bays. Don't expect the rent to be cheap if it is right near downtown Portland.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM

892 posts, read 1,595,045 times
There are quite a few small shop-like spaces in SE Portland as well. Quite a bit is located west of SE Grand between the Hawthorne and Burnside bridges (rail accessible) and there's a good chunk between Division and Holgate from Milwaukie to about 26th (bus accessible). I went to Alchemy Cellars on SE 19th and they might be in a space just like you're thinking of.

By looking in SE, I think you end up with more choices for housing - at least more affordable choices for housing and shop space.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,456,288 times
This might help: http://www.portlandartstudios.com/

Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
What is your budget?

Will your wife be working? If so, what does she do (will she be getting a job before you move?)

Where will the money be coming from if your art doesn't sell?
We don't really have a set budget per say, but we are budget conscious and don't want to pay more than we have to.

My wife hasn't been working for the last year, but she misses work, and so has been applying for positions in Portland (mostly research related lab manager positions or statistical analysis positions).

I am pretty well established in my field, so there is basically no chance of not selling out. Most of the pieces for May are already reserved by collectors, and if something doesn't sell my Chinese dealers take anything extra--it was part of the deal I made when setting up a studio in Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
There are quite a few small shop-like spaces in SE Portland as well. Quite a bit is located west of SE Grand between the Hawthorne and Burnside bridges (rail accessible) and there's a good chunk between Division and Holgate from Milwaukie to about 26th (bus accessible). I went to Alchemy Cellars on SE 19th and they might be in a space just like you're thinking of.

By looking in SE, I think you end up with more choices for housing - at least more affordable choices for housing and shop space.
Thanks a lot SETabor, this is just the kind of information I was looking for! I REALLY appreciate it and will check it out--and if anything else comes to mind let me know :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Thanks hamellr, I checked it out and although right now there doesn't seem to be anything that great (for example carpet is not going to work, and neither is a non-secure shared space), it looks worth checking back with every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: