Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 20,667 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're from Austin and got this hair-brained idea on how to escape the summers...buy a condo/townhouse near PSU and OHSU, furnish it, come stay from June 15 - Sept 15 each year, and the rest of the year, offer it up as a 9-month lease to students.

What do you think? Our goal is not to make the rent completely pay for it, but rather offset what we can, so it becomes a 'cheap' summer home, cheaper than AirBnB or hotels anyways.

We know the climate, downtown only, not the other neighborhoods, and have a bunch of family nearby, so we are committed to coming every year.

The sort of place that might rent well to students, and I THINK pull in $2500/month rent while college is in:
4215 SW Kelly Ave, Portland, OR 97239 - Zillow

Can anyone here chime in about what is considered 'too far' from campus? Student rental prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,607,205 times
Most condos Assns have limitations on the number of rentals because of restrictions by lenders and some may require that renters sign a one year lease. I suspect that townhouses don't have that restriction but keep in mind that a mortgage lender may be more willing to lend you money on a second home than a home you rent to students.

Need I list the reasons why they aren't anxious to have students as neighbors? Students can be very hard on rental housing. The exceptions would be medical students, Interns, Residents.

Too far is more a matter of transportation than distance. If it isn't bikeable, takes more than 30-40 minutes by transit or the transit operates only during commute hours then it is 'too far'.

Actually your idea isn't half bad, you would need to be very careful selecting your renters. I know parents who have purchased a condo for their kids to live in during college. When they graduated it was their cousins, then they sold the place for a tidy profit to parents with a similar plan. Over time the other condo units were 'managed' similarly and grown-ups retreated.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM

Nell, you make a good point about condo associations, we currently are in one in Austin that prohibits first-time leases under 1 year, and for good reason IMO.

With that in mind, I think that a house with small or low-maintenance yard OR townhome with no full-on HOA is really best suited for this. Oh, and a good property manager!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,537,707 times
Some additional things to consider. $2500/mo is hard for a student to come up with. It would be a total of around 2.8k a month by the time you add utilities and the normal bills that go with a place to live. I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying it's a high price point for who you looking at attracting. How many kids are you willing to let live there? OHSU is a good bet but... the 9 month thing may not work for everyone. You can't move a professional couple or family in for 9 months then tell them they have to go somewhere for the summer. You have a lot of turnover and you may go through some dry spells. We own another home here we rent out. The couple that lives there is a professional couple and one works at the VA hospital and the other works at some computer place. They were looking at expensive rentals close to work but ultimately decided on my house in St.Johns for $1400. Next year will be $1600/mo but that's still $900 less for an entire home with a good walk score of 86. The tenants are willing to stay, they love St. Johns, I miss it honestly.

If I were you I'd test the water, do a poll or something, see how many people are interested at that price and with that 9 months on 3 months off deal. The house is awesome and $2,500 is a good price, but the timing thing may not work.

My Wife owns a home in Tucson and we had the same idea for retirement. Winter in Tucson (and Summer in Portland May-Oct, or just come and go as we please, I need some snow capped cascades. The family we were renting to got orders and had to move out unexpectedly. Military Clause. We could not fill the house during the summer we didn't get someone in it until Dec, Tucson was dead and house 2 times bigger than ours were less per month. It killed us! So many things came up at one time. From the tone of your post you will require a mortgage.... tread carefully with not making a profit of your renter, and remember 10-12% goes to the manager and I had to replace the A/C unit in Tucson.... big money.

I would say don't be so ambitious at first. Something cheaper, in an up and coming neighborhood. Rentals don't stay vacant long but the price point is important. $2000 seems to be the upper limit for the average middle class family. If you aren't clearing $6k a month 2k is hard to swallow.

Long distance, a property manager is a must even locally I use one.

Good Luck.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM

32,706 posts, read 48,272,649 times
I think it is a good idea, if you can find a suitable property.

Plan on spending the first few weeks of your vacation repairing the damage done by the students every year.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Thas for the encouragement to several of you here - We really want to do this, looking seriously now at the "Corbett/Terwilliger/Lair Hill" neighborhood. This looks like it has good highway and transit access, plus proximity to bridges and the schools.

Any opinions on that area?

Interestingly, we checked on AirBnB and there's no short term rentals in that area - a possible alternative to renting out to college students.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Long distance, a property manager is a must even locally I use one.

Good Luck.
Would you be able to make a reference later on if this materializes?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Wonder if the dudes in the kitchen photo come with this house and will prepare late night quesdillas?

3303 SW 1ST Ave, Portland, OR 97239 | MLS# 13295302 | Redfin

Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,034,526 times
I can walk to that house from my office. If you'd like, I can look it over on my lunch hour and tell you what I think via Direct Message.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks Rob, the photo in that one was funny, but we'd pass on it for something newer. Could be a good income property, but we'd have a hard time staying there in the summer. Call us snobby!

Just to keep things interesting here though, we are taking a hard look at this one:
4542 SW VIEW POINT Ter, Portland, OR 97239 | MLS# 13517995 | Redfin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: