Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM

111 posts, read 137,078 times

Advertisements

We won't be moving to Portland until May and I understand the school lottery is this March (next week). Do you think there's any way we could enter our daughter in the lottery before we have a Portland address? Maybe show his employment offer letter as proof we will move there? I'm going to call PPS on Monday but wondered if anyone on this board had any insights or ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The lottery for space in the schools my kids are looking at (Chapman, Ainsworth) is next to zilch. They always accommodate a student who lives in the enrollment area when they arrive. Your best bet is to find housing in the area of the school you want your child to attend. MLC is open city-wide as is the very small charter school in the south park blocks.

Lottery space is good for the academic year only which is a real bummer. According to an article in the Oregonian recently PPS isn't accepting inter-district transfers which would be permanent.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks. I should have said, I'm specifically interested in the immersion programs at Richmond and Woodstock, so I think I need to do the lottery to get in there. Unless we did after-school tutoring in Japanese or Chinese with the hopes of then transferring as a first grader.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Ahh... you do need to talk to the District, perhaps they could wait list your child under these circumstances. Have you seen this resource? Mandarin Chinese Immersion School (Pre-K & K-12), Portland, Oregon, for Preschoolers, Toddlers, Home schooled Children, After School Education, Saturday Language Classes, Summer Camps for Children That might be an option if you can't get in this year.

One of my nieces attends with her kids Mandarin Saturday classes in Phoenix. They are doing very well.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks, Nell Plotts! I didn't know about this program.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Mandarin is the one I would choose, that is where the linguistic center of gravity is looking west. It is much tougher to learn after the early grades than Spanish.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
I really hope not. My opinion is that new-to-Portland people should have to wait six months before even applying to charter schools. Families that have been in Portland, helping build it's economy should have priority. Too many people moving in, taking jobs we desperately need, hiking rents, clogging our highways etc make it very difficult for local families to live in the city WE built. Wait in line.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM

It's not just charter schools that have admissions lotteries. BTW, charter schools do not necessarily produce better academics.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruesteph View Post
I really hope not. My opinion is that new-to-Portland people should have to wait six months before even applying to charter schools. Families that have been in Portland, helping build it's economy should have priority. Too many people moving in, taking jobs we desperately need, hiking rents, clogging our highways etc make it very difficult for local families to live in the city WE built. Wait in line.
I don't believe that people can put their name in the lotteries if they are from out of state. I wonder if the OP contacted the PPS about this. I would be very surprised if they allowed it. That would really be upsetting if they did because someone from out of state would not have paid taxes to support our schools.

Regarding new people moving in, everyone has the right to an opportunity. I imagine just as many leave once they realize it is not the piece of cake they it would be to become established here.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It's not just charter schools that have admissions lotteries. BTW, charter schools do not necessarily produce better academics.
Most are set up for families who do not want to rub elbows with the riffraff. Some parents do not want their kids educated in traditional schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: