Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,610 times

Advertisements

This is a weird question but just have to ask...during the rainy season in Portland, what kind of rain is it? Is it rain like in Northern California, where some days it rains, then the sun comes out, then it rains some more. Or is it a constant downpour or a mix of both? Just wondering cause I'm moving there.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM

378 posts, read 975,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyoungyou View Post
This is a weird question but just have to ask...during the rainy season in Portland, what kind of rain is it? Is it rain like in Northern California, where some days it rains, then the sun comes out, then it rains some more. Or is it a constant downpour or a mix of both? Just wondering cause I'm moving there.
Thanks!
Hey - first off, welcome. It's mostly grey and drizzle, rarely heavy rain but it does happen. There are no thunderstorms. Mostly misty and very few sun breaks. The rain can get heavy at times but it is mostly just that constant drizzle. The good news is if it's cold then you see the sun ~40F. If it warms up the rain comes back. There's a saying that it's too cold to rain. It almost never snows in the lower elevations like Portland so if it's cold it's sunny. If you have SAD (seasonal affected disorder) make sure you take plenty of vitamin D and hit the tanning booth or get a sun lamp for your house. I was in Humboldt county for a while and it (at least the year I was there) is much less sunny here. The rain/grey starts to break up in April and gradually improves until it turns into constant sun on July 5th.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,400 times
Quote:
Thanks!

danwilsonbsee sums it up nicely. The only thing I would add, in case you didn't already know is that the "rainy season" is about 9 months. Through most of those days, you will not see any sun.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,462,152 times
A word of caution: Clearly state that these are your opinions of Portland weather.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,794 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Forrest Gump answers this perfectly:

Forrest Gump - Vietnam War - Rain - YouTube

Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,655,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
Hey - first off, welcome. It's mostly grey and drizzle, rarely heavy rain but it does happen. There are no thunderstorms. Mostly misty and very few sun breaks. The rain can get heavy at times but it is mostly just that constant drizzle. The good news is if it's cold then you see the sun ~40F. If it warms up the rain comes back. There's a saying that it's too cold to rain. It almost never snows in the lower elevations like Portland so if it's cold it's sunny. If you have SAD (seasonal affected disorder) make sure you take plenty of vitamin D and hit the tanning booth or get a sun lamp for your house. I was in Humboldt county for a while and it (at least the year I was there) is much less sunny here. The rain/grey starts to break up in April and gradually improves until it turns into constant sun on July 5th.
I agree. Worked outside for years. Pretty close to my experience of 40+ years in Oregon.

The super cold sub 32 sunny weather, I much prefer to 37 and drizzle.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM

127 posts, read 306,871 times
Normal Oregon winter - Soft constant rain, 10-minute rain, drizzle, moisture, dew, mist, flurries, slush. The depressing issue is that it can go on... and on... and on... for weeks if not days.

Bad Oregon winter - Freezing rain, black ice, wet snow that freeze overnight. Sheets of ice covering the snow. Pretty rare thing but you'll remember it when it happens.

Original Portland Snow Car Crashes 2007 - YouTube

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainierman View Post
Normal Oregon winter - Soft constant rain, 10-minute rain, drizzle, moisture, dew, mist, flurries, slush. The depressing issue is that it can go on... and on... and on... for weeks if not days.

Bad Oregon winter - Freezing rain, black ice, wet snow that freeze overnight. Sheets of ice covering the snow. Pretty rare thing but you'll remember it when it happens.

Original Portland Snow Car Crashes 2007 - YouTube
So why were people driving again?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,450,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So why were people driving again?
They were either from California or Michigan.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,484,254 times
Seems to me the black ice is the worst. And the silver thaw that breaks off branches and breaks power lines. No worse time of the year to have your electricity interrupted. All the rest of the weather that people complain about are SO easy to adjust to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: