Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM

31 posts, read 51,216 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Portland from Pittsburgh PA and just wondering how the rental market compares. I live in a small apartment in a very nice part of the city (near a big park and within walking distance to food coop, restaurants, movie theatre, and shops) and pay $725/mo plus utils. I'd be looking to rent something similar but with access to a small yard (we have two dogs) so a small house/half a duplex/ or apt with yard would do. Does North Portland have reasonable rents? by that I mean under $1,000 for a two bedroom apt? Where are the "reasonable" rents in the city and are they in safe areas? By that I mean, can you at least walk out the door after dark and not get mugged. I just got robbed jogging in my city's nicest park on a Sunday at noon so something safer than that would be what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
Portland has very low vacancy rates right now. At <$1000, you've got lots of choices though.

https://www.padmapper.com/?lat=45.51...ng=0&maxTime=0

Generally suburbs and SE around 82nd and over is going to be cheaper.

The ONLY place that mugging happen on a somewhat frequent basis is China Town in Downtown Portland. Other then that crimes are mostly domestic calls and car prowlings. Portland is a fairly safe town for it's size when compared to other cities. Although it is the most Crime Ridden scum hole in Oregon when you start comparing it against small towns.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 PM

burbs not an option for me. Looking for something like Hawthorne if possible

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
$1000 for a two bedroom house or duplex around Hawthorne Blvd isn't going to be too likely. But as you go farther away from the center of the city you may be able to find an apartment. The two dogs will be a problem though.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM

how much further out from the city center would we have to go? I just need to be within bikable distance of downtown but not stuck in suburbia or in an unsafe area. Any possibilities? I thought north Portland was the affordable part of town

Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
No part of Portland is "unsafe," even as a young female late at night. Daylight muggings just do not happen, murders are rare and mostly gang related, rapes are usually among people who know each other already. Just watch your surroundings like you would do anyways.

Lots of people bike from the Suburbs to Downtown. You can hop MAX to get you part of the way. Trails like the SpringWater Corridor take you all the way from Boring to Downtown.

Here are some bike maps to help you out.

Bike + Walk Maps | The City of Portland, Oregon

Metro: Bike There! map

Bike Path Maps and Bicycling Routes in Portland, Or, United States | MapMyRide

And to mollify your fears over crime, The Portland Crime Map

Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM

You could be bikeable distance without being in the suburbs easily. But your problem will be finding an available rental that will meet your criteria especially with two dogs. That is why I suggest at first you go with a property management company. Your first place can be your start off point. Once you are here, you can network to find more suitable places. You will have an idea of neighborhoods and costs. Another plus is that you will be here physically to look around and landlords will be more amenable to renting to someone local with cash in hand to greet them as they put out their "For Rent" signs because that's pretty much the way the best places are rented. Or by networking which is how I got my place and if you read my post about taxes you will see what I mean.

Regarding the Hawthorne area I just remembered, there is a nice duplex across the street from me. It has two bedrooms with a small back yard and allows dogs. It is small. In the twenty or so years I have lived in the area it has had a For Rent sign out twice. The last time which was last year they were asking $2100 dollars a month heat not included. For this neighborhood, that is a real bargain.

I don't want to be discouraging but just to give you an idea of how crazy it can be around here. That's why my advice is if you really want Portland, compromise at first, take what you can get, network and work into what you really want. It's kind of like getting a job here. Until the housing shortage eases up, that's one method of finding a place to live other than being pretty lucky. All things are possible. You just could find an affordable place that meets your needs but the chances are not going to be that great. There is tremendous competiton for housing in Portland.

I don't think there are any areas of North Portland that would be less expensive than others. There is some low income housing there as in other parts of town but you would have to qualify. The only inexpensive neighborhoods I know of would be East Portland past 82nd but I don't think you would consider them as safe. It's kind of neighborhood by neighborhood there. But there isn't anything like the shops or food coops your are looking for.

The bottom line really is for you to come and see for yourself. Portland is a small place. You can cover the whole city in a day or two.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,526 times
My wife works for a property management company and she said they currently have apps on every single family home in under their management. One of their inner SE houses actually went for over what they were asking monthly because someone wanted it so bad.

I have a house in st johns, I'm currently renting it for $1400/mo, but it's pretty nice. Something like that would be 2000+ in Hawthorne. The problem is landlords can ask anything they want and likely get it. I was going to rent my house for $1200 a month. The property management company said it would go for $1400 easily. We had a renter within a week. I had to scramble to get out of the house a head of time, it was so fast. The tenants were asking about dogs recently, they want a Great Dane and and a lab. The management company said I should charge them monthly. They agreed to pay $100/mo and paid a $300 deposit. The management company advised me to raise the price to $1600/mo once their 6 month contract is over. Rich told me he had 5 or 6 couples looking for a house like mine willing to pay $1800-2000. My wife manages an apartment complex, that is mediocre, in my opinion. They just raised rent 10% across the board and still have 96% occupancy. The Portland market is ridiculous. Not relevant to your specific query but I'm just letting you know whats going on behind the scenes. Also be aware, Dogs are cash cows, most landlords allow them because they know they can charge a premium and people will pay it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM

My landlord was around today fixing stuff. We chatted about this and other recent threads regarding rentals. He owns several properties including four up and down our street. He told me that when he puts a "For Rent" sign up not only does he have about five people respond within a day but people have actually offered him more rent and/or security deposits than he is asking in order to secure the deal over the others when he goes over their rental applications!

And trust me, these are not luxury apartments.
Crazy!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM

358 posts, read 470,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
No part of Portland is "unsafe," even as a young female late at night.
I agree Portland is a safe city but there are areas that can be dangerous late at night. 82nd and east up Powell Boulevard as an example. Just want people stayin' safe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: