Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 AM

18 posts, read 55,948 times

Advertisements

Hola! No I'm not Hispanic, I'm 28, Black and live in Buffalo, NY. Here's the scoop....

I visited Portland in March 05' for a day or two in order to check it out as a possible relocation spot. Loved the eclectic mix of homeless people and professionals. I was impressed that the homeless had there own newspaper! I tried to secure an apartment back then and was assured by an African-American building manager (not that her race should mater) that I would be able to stay in one of the apartment buildings she managed based on income as long as I sent in my income information when I got back home to Buffalo within a couple of weeks.

Well, I gave this lady a call the first day I got back home, (just days later) and after building what seemed like great rapport in person, she acted like she did not even remember our entire encounter, nor her promise that there were plenty of apartments still available in the buildings! It was unreal. My first taste of what I've heard being called, west coast b.s. By the way, Is it true out west most people don't keep there word or is it just a stereotype?

Anyhow, I am here still in good ole Buffalo where I've was born, raised and settled into, but the lifestyle mix, northwest scenery and west coast laid back easiness has kept my attention all of this time and after years of research, I want to move to Portland still. Here's my thing.

I make around 5-6k a month in my own online business that I work from home, and I understand that being single with no children, that is a good income to have in Portland. I'd like a nice luxury high rise with a 1bdrm with at least a den or 2bedroom for under $1400 a month with a view of the city lights and or water. Possible?

I know the African American population is small, however is there a scene for Black people there or any culturally enriching communities, events for them?

Yes I know it rains and mostly it's a steady drizzle. I love rain and since I'm a writer, it would be great for me, however, I don't want to turn into one of the serial killers from my novel because of experiencing rain all day for most of the year. That said, would you suggest say, Portland 9 months out of the year and to go somewhere else for a few months to beat the drizzle blues? If so, I'm thinking VA beach timeshare. In Buffalo, it's depressing to be in the brutal snow from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's Day. 4 moths of ice and cold starts to wear on your psyche and a lack of Vitamin D because of the sun hibernating during those months is not cool.

I am somewhat reserved and naturally a loner, but I turn it up in social settings and for business. It's not uncommon for me to spend days at a time with my phone off, at home indoors and just interacting online via my business. However, I am friendly and love to make meaningful connections. Would this be tough for me to do in Portland or should I just put my best foot forward and see what happens? I am usually Very non-assertive, but can open up quick with the right signals.

Moderator cut: inappropriate

All in all, as I've matured I think I need lifestyle diversity more then anything and Portland seems like a great place for that with great food, arts and entertainment and outdoor activities, however, I can see how it may not be a year round spot for me and I could possibly go south in the winter for a few months.

Give me the scoop, I'd appreciate it.

-Black man from the Empire State

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-05-2012 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Not appropriate for this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM

775 posts, read 1,267,685 times
The homeless here are more prominant than in any other city I have been. More of a nuisance really (not that they can help it) because Portland has such open arms for and enables these people to continue being homeless. Will they bother you? Most likely no.
Not surprised at that your verbal "promise" wasnt honored. Ever heard of Seattle Freeze? Well it dips into Portland too. While there are plenty of people who are super friendly and welcoming there are a bunch who have an "uppity, cant be bothered" attitude. I think this idea that people here are "laid back" is a bit misleading.
You may find a studio/1BR in one of the nicer condos downtown. One thing about housing here, its not cheap. Check out Craigslist to get an idea of what is available.
it rains here, a lot. Its a rain/cloud/drizzly mix with some sunny days thrown in here and there from October to June. It snowed here as late as April but was gorgeous here by July with nice warm temps. So if you dont think you cold handle that then I would arrange to go somewhere to get away. We have relatives who leave after Christmas and return the end of May to escape the weather.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,552,250 times
Portland is awesome.
If you're looking for a Black community, there is still one in North Portland.
The luxury high-rises aren't possible unless you are spending over $2,000. They are mostly in the Pearl District, which is kind of Portland's answer to SoHo.
I've only been here a year but I actually preferred the drizzle and overcast skies and greenery to the heat wave we are experiencing right now. Blech.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Portland is awesome.
If you're looking for a Black community, there is still one in North Portland.
The luxury high-rises aren't possible unless you are spending over $2,000. They are mostly in the Pearl District, which is kind of Portland's answer to SoHo.
I've only been here a year but I actually preferred the drizzle and overcast skies and greenery to the heat wave we are experiencing right now. Blech.
You've been there a year? Where did you come from and what were the biggest adjustments? I figured $1800-2200 was more realistic for what I want but was crossing my fingers. I'm cool with that. However, I'll also take a loft if I can find one in my range or even an apartment in a standard clean building to start. Just kind of want to be in the middle of it all or close to it like Northwest, PSU, Pearl District if I can help it. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
The homeless here are more prominant than in any other city I have been. More of a nuisance really (not that they can help it) because Portland has such open arms for and enables these people to continue being homeless. Will they bother you? Most likely no.
Not surprised at that your verbal "promise" wasnt honored. Ever heard of Seattle Freeze? Well it dips into Portland too. While there are plenty of people who are super friendly and welcoming there are a bunch who have an "uppity, cant be bothered" attitude. I think this idea that people here are "laid back" is a bit misleading.
You may find a studio/1BR in one of the nicer condos downtown. One thing about housing here, its not cheap. Check out Craigslist to get an idea of what is available.
it rains here, a lot. Its a rain/cloud/drizzly mix with some sunny days thrown in here and there from October to June. It snowed here as late as April but was gorgeous here by July with nice warm temps. So if you dont think you cold handle that then I would arrange to go somewhere to get away. We have relatives who leave after Christmas and return the end of May to escape the weather.
Thanks. I do love rain just don't want 6 months of it straight everyday with cloudiness, so that may be a good idea to leave at least around January through beginning of April. I also forgot to mention I'd be back and forth in Portland through the year as I tend to vacation a lot, fairly inexpensive for weeks at a time in S. America, all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and this year, a month planned in Berlin. I will look up the Seattle Freeze. That was very upsetting to me with that woman. I just would like to know that there is a black community present, no real need to live around them, but for black guys, barbershops, black dating scene and even food options are important to us when relocating. Are you a Portland native?

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: merged posts

Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM

775 posts, read 1,267,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalMan View Post
You've been there a year? Where did you come from and what were the biggest adjustments? I figured $1800-2200 was more realistic for what I want but was crossing my fingers. I'm cool with that. However, I'll also take a loft if I can find one in my range or even an apartment in a standard clean building to start. Just kind of want to be in the middle of it all or close to it like Northwest, PSU, Pearl District if I can help it. Thanks again.

Thanks. I do love rain just don't want 6 months of it straight everyday with cloudiness, so that may be a good idea to leave at least around January through beginning of April. I also forgot to mention I'd be back and forth in Portland through the year as I tend to vacation a lot, fairly inexpensive for weeks at a time in S. America, all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and this year, a month planned in Berlin. I will look up the Seattle Freeze. That was very upsetting to me with that woman. I just would like to know that there is a black community present, no real need to live around them, but for black guys, barbershops, black dating scene and even food options are important to us when relocating. Are you a Portland native?
I have lived in other cities but Portland for the most number of years (20) since about 1976.
If you travel that much you will be fine. Only thing is it costs more to fly out of PDX than say, LAX or Burbank even for example, because you usually have to connect to a major hub (LAX, SFO, SEA) to go anywhere.
Seattle Freeze just refers to a "cold shoulder" kind of attitude people here can have.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,552,250 times
UniversalMan, I moved here from NYC. It is definitely not as diverse! But NE/N Portland is more diverse than other parts of the city proper.

You can find something in your price range - Pearl District (and South Waterfront, but not many people want to live over there, as there are no amenities) is the most expensive place to rent.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM

10,997 posts, read 20,714,953 times
The Black community is small and frankly upper income Blacks do not hang together on the basis of race. This is not a 'churched' community so even Black churches do not pull many together. There are barber shops that would meet your needs, were I you I would visit Portland when you need a haircut and ask the guys.

There just isn't a lot of social segregation, intermarriage is not unusual although many Black parents, like parents everywhere, would like their daughters to date/marry someone like themselves. They guys at the barbershop can doubtless arrange introductions.

It has been several years since I looked at societies for Blacks in technology but I recall seeing a couple in Seattle metro. That may be another area worthy of exploration.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks to all of you. This was helpful. I'm actually also kind of drawn to Portland because of what I understand to be a lack of a strong church presence as most people are non-religious, or so I've heard. I appreciate that attitude and freedom. And if it's not "churched" in the way of assembly based on race, cool. Let it be based on lifestyle and socioeconomic compatibility. I think I should give it a try for a year and see how it goes. I'm also shooting part of a documentary in Portland for a few days in March but will be on a tight schedule, but I'll gain even more incite. The documentary isn't specifically about Portland BTW, but about food scenes of the U.S.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:14 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,873,682 times
The wettest month is December. We almost always get a 10 day break in the clouds in February, or maybe late January when the weather turns beautiful. If you set your own schedule, plan to be out and about in the afternoons. Many days it rains overnight and is pretty overcast in the morning, but as the atmosphere warms it quits raining and the clouds break up in the late morning or early PM. Things cool off around sunset, and it settles back into wet. Poor office trogs drive to work in the rain, sit inside during the best weather of the day, and drive home in gloom.

Just about everybody gets a little vitamin D deficient in the winter. Get a light box with a few UVB tubes. You will be healthier. I had a roommate from Zambia in college and he had a hard time with the winters.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,644,433 times
I am racking my brain to remember the church my former African American co-worker and friend used to attend in North East Portland. I attended some social functions and even a couple of services with her over the years.

Anyhoo, her social life was really based around her church and she was very active in all events. She moved away back to South Carolina her place of birth a few years ago and we unfortunatley lost touch. If I can remember her church I will post the name. I am sure it still exists. She was a member for many year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland