Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM

378 posts, read 975,255 times

Advertisements

You really have three choices if you want an apartment high-rise. The Pearl (sounds like a good fit) tons of bars, shopping nightlife. The South Waterfront (meh), awesome buildings, a bit cheaper than the Pearl but no nightlife to speak of in easy walking distance. Downtown/near PSU (my choice) cheaper than the Pearl, easy walking to nightlife but quieter at night. We chose a newer building in downtown and I have yet to regret choosing this over the Pearl. Much more convenient and if anything healthier since I end up walking a bit more. OP - if you need reviews on specific buildings let me know. I've toured most and have friends in almost all of the major Pearl ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,587,571 times
Near Portland State: There is a 1 br listed on Craigslist at the University Park Condo, 1500 SW Park. Also one in the Southpark Square Apartments a block west. Nearby is the Harrison Tower Apartments. All buildings offer secure parking.

There are rentals between SW River Drive and the River Place Athletic Club that would be excellent as well. If anything there is suitable that is what I recommend. There are bars & restraints on the promenade along River Place, during the summer there are lots of events in waterfront park, and there is a street car stop at River Drive that goes to the Pearl & NW. The only issue I have had with that neighborhood is parking but there is a parking structure on Montgomery Street. My personal favorite would be RiverPlace Square but that is at the top of his budget.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 07-27-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,200 times
$1500 is about minimum for a decent place in Pearl District...occasionally I've seen places in the Streetcar Lofts and other nicer buildings for slightly less, but not too often. Is it worth the price of admission? Debatable. I've considered it myself for convenience factors but the price is hard to justify for me. Very yuppyish too. Maybe that's your thing and maybe it isn't.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 10,278 times
I'm en route to Portland right now. I should be there Wednesday evening. So far the Asa seems to most likely be the right place for me but I'm going to check out some of the other suggestions I've received here so far. I really appreciate all the feedback so far. You guys are great! I'll post where I decide to go this weekend.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,156,502 times
Have a safe trip, and best of luck with the apartment hunting when you arrive.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 10,278 times
Default Made it!

Well after 30+ hours of driving, I made it! I spent most of the day looking at places downtown(Asa, Indigo, Burlington Tower, and The Ladd). The Ladd didn't have any floor plans that would work for me and my King size bed, lol. And The Burlington seemed like an older crowd to me. So right now it's between Asa & Indigo. Both are around $1800+parking but I'm okay with that I guess. I think Asa seems more fun but Indigo definitely has a better floor plan for the money. I'm kinda on the fence right now...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,587,571 times
This is not a forever commitment. Have you looked on apartmentratings.com for comments?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,156,502 times
The location of the two is a bit different. While the Asa is in the heart of the Pearl, the Indigo is more downtown. It's south of Burnside, so not in the Pearl. I think that would make a different vibe between the two areas, though they're not all that far apart. The Indigo has less housing around it, and what's there is more transient type rooms. There are quite a few hotels around it, towards Burnside so more touristy population too. But more ... until they take them all over, low cost housing. The corner across from it has a market that always has seemed to have a lot of more transient type people hanging out around it.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon2000 View Post
Well after 30+ hours of driving, I made it! I spent most of the day looking at places downtown(Asa, Indigo, Burlington Tower, and The Ladd). The Ladd didn't have any floor plans that would work for me and my King size bed, lol. And The Burlington seemed like an older crowd to me. So right now it's between Asa & Indigo. Both are around $1800+parking but I'm okay with that I guess. I think Asa seems more fun but Indigo definitely has a better floor plan for the money. I'm kinda on the fence right now...
See if Encore or Streetcar Lofts have anything listed for rent. Those are condos but often come up for rent. You've got lot's of options in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: