Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,831 times

Advertisements

Well, to make a long story short, I've been offered an entry level tech job in Hillsboro for about $13/hr and I'm wondering if this will even work.....I'm looking at moving from Idaho and this will be less than I've made in quite a while, but I want to make a run at the tech industry here. Anyway, the apartments I'm seeing in the area are in the $800 range for 1br and the roommate situation (not what I want to do at all) is all over the place price wise and not looking appealing to me. In the trips I've taken to the area, I'm seeing a high cost situation that might not be worth it for this starting wage. Any thoughts on this?? I've got a degree in business but can't seem to get in the tech field without "getting my foot in the door".

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 AM

682 posts, read 2,426,100 times
I lived okay on about that for a few years after high school (10 years ago), but I also had a roommate or two along the way. It would be difficult to live completely on your own with that wage, and hopefully you could move into something more lucrative ASAP.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
The average car owner pays $9,000/yr. to own and/or maintain a vehicle... ...

Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,457,544 times
$13/hour could be a very good rate depending on the specifics of your job. If you're doing Desktop/Help Desk Support, you're at the upper end of the spectrum of pay in the Portland area. If you're doing programming, server admin, or database admin, you're right at entry level pay and can expect to see some good growth in pay raises down the road.

Portland has a lot of high tech companies, which translates into a lot of talent in market who are willing to take lower wages to stay here. And if you're going through an agency for the job, odds are the real pay scale is another $2-4 dollars higher then that and they lowballed you to make more profit.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,491,696 times
I think the per/mile cost of car ownership falls in the $.50-$.70/mile range. So keeping the mileage down is a step toward making it. I think a person could bike a lot in Hillsboro, and there are Trimet options to get to downtown Portland. I made way less than $13 an hour in my 20's and still owned a car. But I didn't put any miles on it that I could avoid. I also roomed with my brother for years.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
This should be instructive: Google a location in Hillsboro and input a destination in Portland. Now click the MAX train symbol to get the mass transit directions. A calculation will appear giving you the cost of the trip by car vs. the cost on Trimet. Repeat as necessary. Even if you are a conspiracy theorist believing that you are being manipulated to favor Trimet you will have to conclude that car transit is not .50c/mi. That belief fails to factor in a whole host of realities of car ownership.

The o.p. can keep their car and struggle on $13/hr. or s/he can go car free and actually live rather well on it. Entirely up to him/her. In this economy there is also no guarantee of a quick rise out of the entry level salary. I work with a shelter and we always have a couple of young and not so young who would rather be homeless than give up their wheels. When the o.p. is ready I'm just a PM away.

H

Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 22,325 times
You got to be there in person to get the real prices, online does not provide all availability. Hillsboro is a nice area, Oregon all a way around is a nice state, the wage is high, there is no tax when you go to the store, you can cash in bottles/cans for money, you don't have to pump your gas (because it's a fine if you do)... all of Oregon is good... I lived in Gresham and North Portland and worked in hillsboro. If I could I would go back ASAP it was the best place I have lived and been too!! If you do not take the opportunity you may never know... But over all you need to be there to see, looking online does not list everything there. Don't let the negative posting over rule your thinking or plans... I survived well off $9 an hour. The transportation there is the best in the states I think... all bus stops are like every block downtown and every 2 blocks out of downtown, and the buses runs early 4:30ish and ends 2-3 a.m....

Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM

59 posts, read 137,006 times
I lived on less than that when I first moved here in '09. These days, because of how much rent has gone up, it's doable, but depending on your other expenses, you might be living on a shoestring budget. Since you don't want to go the roommate route, you'll probably have to live a bit further away from work, perhaps in Beaverton or Aloha.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM

682 posts, read 2,426,100 times
To give more info from my experience:

If you take your weekly/monthly wage and multiply by .72, that should give you a rough estimate of your take-home pay after federal and state income tax.

Again, with 1-2 roommates I was able to live simply but comfortably, maintain a paid-for car, and pay out-of-pocket for 1-2 classes/qtr at Portland Community College.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,491,696 times
Actually, if you figure out what you're likely to owe, you can adjust your W-4 so that the withholding covers what you owe. Something I learned in financial planning class in the 80's. Unless you like compulsory savings. That works for some people. Then you just have to budget so that you make it till the refund comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland