Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM

90 posts, read 141,468 times

Advertisements

People keep flaking out, stop responding or never respond in the first place.

and obviously all favor goes to local applicants.. regardless if you were the first applicant or not

Does anyone know someone with a rental coming up around end of July or Aug 1st?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
Why don't you try a realtor or relocation service?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

90 posts, read 141,468 times
we tried a realtor and it didnt work out with us moving august 1

everything they had was available now

Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post
People keep flaking out, stop responding or never respond in the first place.

and obviously all favor goes to local applicants.. regardless if you were the first applicant or not

Does anyone know someone with a rental coming up around end of July or Aug 1st?
That is true but you have to look at it from the landlord's point of view. They know they can put out a sign and get their apartments rentned within the hour, cash in hand. It isn't a matter of first come first served. If it makes you feel any better, I have had landlords flake out on me and not show up for appointments to show me the apartment because on the way, someone else thrust a check in their hands. And I live here.

August is too far away for anyone to make a commitment for an apartment. People will be giving their 30 day notice the first of July for August first. It's the rental reality we all have to live with. It's just the way it works.

You are seeking an apartment in a city that has only a 3% vacancy rate. There is a lot of competition. So you have to do whatever is necessary. It's not likely you will find someone on this forum who will be able to find you an apartment. Even if they did, unless they owned the rental themeselves, chances are the landlord would want to rent to someone they can deal with in person.

But you can contact rental management companies. Or find a temporary housing situation like those that rent on a week to week basis to people on a temporary basis. I think they are called residential housing. Consider staying in a hotel when you first arrive then go through various neighborhoods you like and look for signs.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:38 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,278 times
Your best and only bet is to find a complex or apartment management company, then make a deposit.

Doing it privately, remotely, and two months out is going to be impossible.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,628 times
yeah i think you need to wait longer. hang tight, you'll find something.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Another thing you can do is look at the larger apartment complexes in the 'burbs. They may even have something two months ahead since they have a lot of apartments to keep rented.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 10,318 times
We rented a place for a month before we actually moved in. We were transferred here and I was really nervous about having a fixed date to move and a moving van full of stuff with nowhere to put it. It was expensive but really reduced the anxiety level. And actually cheaper in the long run than moving twice in a short amount of time, since we found the perfect rental. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Arent you looking in Lake Oswego? Performance Properties and Mainlander are 2 agencies that offer local rentals. I would give them a call

Portland, Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, Beaverton, West Linn, OR Property Management by Performance Properties, Inc. | Home Page
Property Management Services and Real Estate Investment : Mainlander Property Management, Inc.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Where I come from, security deposits run from a months rent to 1.5 months rent. A few 2 months rent units were showing up and landlords have bragged to me about getting 4 months rent in advance from people desperate for exactly the right apartment. The security on our first apartment in Hillsboro was 1/2 one months rent. I don't know any landlord who would hold an apartment for two months with only 1/2 one months deposit. Fewer would turn down someone who actually wanted to rent their apartment. Now. So all the o.p. has to do is rent an apartment that is available now and move in whenever they are ready. We've covered this ground already. I'm pretty sure we are talking to the same people. Why anyone wants to throw their hard earned cash, sight unseen on an apartment with mold or a with a death metal drummer downstairs is beyond me. If your new landlord doesn't even need to see you before he puts you in an 8 unit building with all his existing tenants... ... ruuun. But that's me. YMMV.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland