Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM

56 posts, read 117,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by efarley View Post
...but am having trouble finding anything in my price range where my car won't get broken into or my apartment broken into when they see a $3,000 tv moving in.
How is it that you have such expensive belongings, and so many of them that you need a storage warehouse to store them in order to move into a small apartment, and yet you cannot afford a larger apartment or house rental?

You are not going to live a life of luxury on unemployment insurance so I suggest you sell most of your belongings for cash to live on until you get a job and can afford a decent place to live -- because you will NOT find one for $600/month anywhere near Portland.

Having said that, there are some trailers available for rent in a mobile home park way out here east of Portland in Troutdale. There are also several trailer parks on Stark Street north-west of Gresham in the Rockwood district, but it is one of the highest crime areas in the entire greater Portland area and is mostly populated with hispanics. Troutdale is far from downtown Portland, but at least the crime rate is pretty low -- although I do not know how bad crime in the trailer parks is. In any case, there is a "manufactured home" advertised for rent on HotPads for $475/month but I don't know what is included. If interested, you can contact the manager at Columbia Vista to inquire about the details.

Edit: I just found you a nice 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment where you will not have to worry too much about crime for only $336/month if you don't mind having elderly, white haired neighbors. Here is the contact info:

Sunset Senior Housing
143-167 4th Street
Athena, OR 97862
An affordable housing solution for todays Seniors!

For that matter, here is a 3BR/1+1BA Apartment for $600/month that's large enough you would not need a rental storage warehouse:
3BR/1+1BA Apartment $600/month
Bedrooms 3
Bathrooms 1 full, 1 partial
Sq Footage Unspecified
Parking 1 dedicated
Pet Policy No pets
Deposit $600

Last edited by rsdotson; 01-17-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:37 PM

343 posts, read 693,700 times
Wow those are good deals.

I agree with rsdotson, sell off what you can and use the cash to pay rent. That's what I was about to do when I had job interviews lined up in Portland.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 19,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdotson View Post
How is it that you have such expensive belongings, and so many of them that you need a storage warehouse to store them in order to move into a small apartment, and yet you cannot afford a larger apartment or house rental?

You are not going to live a life of luxury on unemployment insurance so I suggest you sell most of your belongings for cash to live on until you get a job and can afford a decent place to live -- because you will NOT find one for $600/month anywhere near Portland.

Having said that, there are some trailers available for rent in a mobile home park way out here east of Portland in Troutdale. There are also several trailer parks on Stark Street north-west of Gresham in the Rockwood district, but it is one of the highest crime areas in the entire greater Portland area and is mostly populated with hispanics. Troutdale is far from downtown Portland, but at least the crime rate is pretty low -- although I do not know how bad crime in the trailer parks is. In any case, there is a "manufactured home" advertised for rent on HotPads for $475/month but I don't know what is included. If interested, you can contact the manager at Columbia Vista to inquire about the details.

Edit: I just found you a nice 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment where you will not have to worry too much about crime for only $336/month if you don't mind having elderly, white haired neighbors. Here is the contact info:

Sunset Senior Housing
143-167 4th Street
Athena, OR 97862
An affordable housing solution for todays Seniors!

For that matter, here is a 3BR/1+1BA Apartment for $600/month that's large enough you would not need a rental storage warehouse:
3BR/1+1BA Apartment $600/month
Bedrooms 3
Bathrooms 1 full, 1 partial
Sq Footage Unspecified
Parking 1 dedicated
Pet Policy No pets
Deposit $600
Thanks,

I have enough cash saved up that I could cover the difference and afford a place for $750 a month for at least 10 months however I don't know how I could get around the income requirements most places I've spoken to have. I.E. you need to show proof of income to cover between 2.5-3 times the rent. Only receiving $1,500 a month on unemployment I can only qualify for 5-600 a month. If anyone knows of any places that go for around $750 a month and won't require an income of 2.5 to 3 times the rent I would love to look into them!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,496,838 times
It's understandable that landlords do not want to take a chance on someone without employment considering the high employment rate in Portland.

Maybe you should look into a temporary place like a hostel or short term housing. You can google these to see what is available in Portland.

Have you ever even been to Portland? Your comments about condos, traffic and parking do not really fit most Portland neighborhoods. It does describe downtown and maybe NW Portland but not the others.

Also, keep in mind that when you say you don't like traffic, if you choose Beaverton or Vancouver and work in Portland, there will be traffic to deal with unless you take public transportation.

Last edited by Minervah; 01-19-2012 at 11:36 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,033,282 times
I've seen signs advertising rents of $600 or below on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway in the Raleigh Hills area. There are tons of apartment buildings all along B-H from Hillsdale out to the city limits.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,459,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I've seen signs advertising rents of $600 or below on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway in the Raleigh Hills area. There are tons of apartment buildings all along B-H from Hillsdale out to the city limits.
But the bus routes out that way are a royal PITA.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
But the bus routes out that way are a royal PITA.
They are a double royal PITA. I used to live in that area. Bus service was the worst. And if OP wanted more of a walking neighborhood, his choices would be very limited to those areas that are near a strip mall.

And another thing to watch out for, although cheaper rents there are mostly legit, sometimes the property management companies use "bait and switch" tactics. I found that out from experience.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,592 times
Default Non-renewal of leases

I renewed a lease of 7 months I have lived here for 3 and a half years with 3 different renewal as of Jan the 18th the proberty management sent a letter saying they choose not to renew the lease no cause and I must be out by March 19th. I do not have the money to apply at othe places and pay my $836.00 rent for Feb. is this legal what can I do. Please help as I am running out of time.Thanks

Last edited by mindy francis; 01-24-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,459,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy francis View Post
I renewed a lease of 7 months I have lived here for 3 and a half years with 3 different renewal as of Jan the 18th the proberty management sent a letter saying they choose not to renew the lease no cause and I must be out by March 19th. I do not have the money to apply at othe places and pay my $836.00 rent for Feb. is this legal what can I do. Please help as I am running out of time.Thanks
It's legal unfortunately. Sorry. Go to the property management and find out how much they're raising the rent too, maybe you can get in at the new rate.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM

They do not have to have cause to not renew a lease. As long as they give you 30 days notice. You can ask the property management if they have any other apartments available in your price range.

Check out other property managment companies as well. Maybe if you find a place with a lower rent, they would allow you to pay the move-in fees a portion at a time per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland