Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM

334 posts, read 487,337 times

Advertisements

ok, I've had it...I often enjoy walking around downtown since I've moved here. But there are always these kids (teens) who scream or try to make some noise to me. I don't know any of them of course, but they are trying to ruin my enjoying the city. The problem is it happens a lot. Also, while on most days I am able to ignore it, a few times it really upset me. Some days you really do not want someone to be saying this to you, you need to be left alone. So...need advice on this especially from others who have dealt with it. Frankly, it's becoming something that is really making me have to look out for this and don't think it's a good thing. These kids are not beggars, I have those people come to me. Some of those are rude...but I'm not taking about that. Thanks for any tips on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM

804 posts, read 2,893,469 times
Carry some Pepper Spray and or get trained with a personal defense weapon and carry concealed (legally, I don't know Portland's CCW laws but I assume they are pretty strict since it is so liberal).

It is the gang or pack mentality. I am not saying they are a gang but people especially young adults or teens will act in a behavior that they would not normally do alone when there is a 'gang' of them around. They know there is protection in numbers and they know the Police will not do anything to them for just hollering at you. You can try reporting them to the cops everytime it happens but I would step inside a shop or store when you call the police.

This a prime reason I would not want to live in the downtown Portland area or any metro for that manner..

Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
They just want you to buy some drugs man. Just don't make eye contact and they won't bother you.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
There are (or were) down town 'hosts'. I would advise them (or the police) of the behavior, including location and time. Their activities may have been captured on cameras. The police have a gang focused team. Once they feel the attention of the police I predict they will move along or engage in more subtle marketing (if it is drug oriented behavior).

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 07-21-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanks all for tips. I think hamell is right they probably were trying to get me to come to them for drugs. I am not interested but they think I may be. I didn't think of this but this makes sense now. I guess I won't be as upset next time, will simply smile at them..

Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
This is one thing that really stood out the last time I visited Portland. It really ruined the experience to a degree. To be honest, I've never really come across it in any other city...at least not nearly to the same extent.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Again, call it to the attention of the Police. We don't want that either.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Where did this happen? Portland is not a very rough place in the grand scheme of things.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM

804 posts, read 2,893,469 times
The more similar reports the police get to an area will help solve the problem. You may go as far as going into the Police Department and requesting to talk to someone about the problem so you know someone 'up the chain of command' knows about the problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Where did this happen? Portland is not a very rough place in the grand scheme of things.
happens everywhere downtown, from my experience. Last night, in the middle of the beautiful Pearl..

probably more often around busy areas--the pearl, and I've had it often around pioneer square and around those areas. But it can happen other places (near voodoo for instance)

Last edited by hose111; 07-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: jij
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland