Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,725 times

Advertisements

Some of what you say is totally BS.. SOrry .. I just took another 4-hour class on gun laws yesterday, as I am applying for out-of-state permits, in addition to my Oregon CHL. You are suppose to avoid a fight, whether or not you are armed. Also, if you have the ability, respond with non-lethal force when at all possible. Yes, having a gun and a CHL is a license to stand up for yourself against bodily harm to yourself and others. That is why people carry a handgun or other non-lethal options, such as a tazer or spray.

What you are describing is the retreat laws that many states were enforcing in the 80s and early 90s. These laws have been done away with and you are not required by law to try to escape if under attack. That is absolutely 100% false. If a person hits you or even threatens you in a way that appears to be life-threatening or may induce bodily harm, you have every right to use a firearm in self-defense . In any shooting, you will be required to prove to the court that you were justified in wounding or in killing a perpetrator who you classified as a threat. Indeed, you should know the laws in advance and how you should talk with police before you decide to carry a weapon. There always is the risk of problems in court. However, even if you use pepper spray, you run these same risks.

Yes indeed, you are right if you started the fight and it can be proven and then shot someone in self-defense, you can seriously face legal implications for that. However, what you say about walking down a dangerous neighborhood at night, will most definitely not be considered instigating a fight or egging anyone on. If you are walking down Compton at night and a bunch of thugs start harassing you and somebody demands your money and reaches for what looks like a gun and you shoot him, as long as you don't say anything stupid to the police, you will most likely be considered justified for the shooting. This is assuming you were allowed to carry a concealed handgun and have your license. It is a free country and nobody can prove with any certainty you went to a bad neighborhood looking for trouble. There are too many variables there.

I agree though, if you carry a gun, you should undergo training and study the laws about legal implications of a shooting. This is very important. However, there is a lot of misinformation out there about the consequences and situations you are allowed to use a weapon. Also, having training , like taking an 8-hour range course, will help you in court. It will prove you have some proficiency with the firearm and you took measures to learn your handgun and learn proper gun safety. I, personally think every gun owner should take one of these courses, such as one offered by the Oregon Firearm Academy.

Personally, I think it is way overkill to consider blasting most of these dumb punks in downtown. Really, I find most of the morons downtown to be somewhat comical and not very threatening. Most of them are annoying and will just go away if you ignore them. However, there are some who may cross the line and do something threatening. Some of these people may have severe drug addictions and it isn't always beyond their ability to stick a knife or a bullet in your loved one or yourself. People should be vigilant and stand up for yourself. Even in liberal Multnomah County, most times if you are justified to shoot, you will be let off the hook. Most times you are justified to shoot, you will know for a fact. The more training you have, the more able you will be able to assess the situations.

Whether or not you have gun, you should avoid fights at all costs. This has nothing to do with being a gun owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermittently View Post
I don't have a CCW license, but from what I have heard, the legal implications of carrying a concealed handgun lead to comporting oneself in the exact opposite manner as many would think.

What I mean is that many people would think that carrying a gun is a license to "stand up for oneself" and "not take any crap" from anyone and to walk confidently wherever and whenever you want.

The opposite is true. As I understand it, once you start carrying a weapon, you are now required to behave in the most conservative and meek and cowering and apologetic manner possible. When confronted by rude or threatening people you would be required to be humble and apologetic and try to get away without conflict. If someone runs toward you or throws something at you or even hits you, you would be required to try to run away with your tail between your legs. Then, and only then, after you have tried to get away and the offender has continued to pursue you are you able to draw your weapon and fire it. But be prepared for legal scrutiny of your actions. If it is determined that you acted like a big shot and "egged on" the fight in any way (knowing that you were secretly armed), you will be in big trouble. This probably includes purposely walking in a known dangerous area at dangerous times. If you do so and end up in a shooting conflict, you will be asked why you put yourself in a known dangerous situation thus increasing the likelihood that you would use your weapon, and you could be in trouble for that.

Correct me if I am wrong--Oh experts on the subject--But that was my impression from what I have heard discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 15,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Some of what you say is totally BS.. SOrry .. I just took another 4-hour class on gun laws yesterday,...
No offense taken. You are an expert on the subject, and you have corrected me where I was wrong. Thank you.

I just thought it was important to bring up the subject of CCW law, despite my sketchy knowledge of it, since CCW had been mentioned in this thread.

When carrying a CCW you are required to keep it hidden, secret, and to constantly think about how not to use it.

Is that a fair statement?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,155,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
hey guys...relax...I already got my answer here, thank you hamell...

If you don't buy it, then don't!

I look a little bit on the cool side, sorry folks this is what happen usually in those case.
Aw, that must be such a curse for you, looking "cool" and all that.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
hey guys...relax...I already got my answer here, thank you hamell...

If you don't buy it, then don't!

I look a little bit on the cool side, sorry folks this is what happen usually in those case.
Lol, what does this even mean?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 PM

600 posts, read 1,469,574 times
For christsakes people - this isnt South Central Los Angeles. Its Portland, Oregon. You dont need a gun to be able to walk around downtown. There are street kids and homeless people everywhere. If they make you uncomfortable do not chat with them, interact with them, stare at their crazy multi colored hair or give them dirty looks. Ignore them. Most times they will ignore you. Bottom line here is use some common sense.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times
you's getting called out hose. Post pics of how cool you are or it didn't happen.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
This is one thing that really stood out the last time I visited Portland. It really ruined the experience to a degree. To be honest, I've never really come across it in any other city...at least not nearly to the same extent.
Liberalism uber alles running wild and out of control.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 34,353 times
"Very rude teens" very redundant statement.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM

334 posts, read 487,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
post pics
r u kidding me

Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM

334 posts, read 487,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Hose,
Advice for street punks. Ignore. They want attention. Do not give it to them. The Pearl is generally absent of street kids, punks, whatever. Sometimes there are very annoying people at the Whole Foods in the pearl so avoid if you can. Check out Jamison Square Park- it's lovely and wonderful during Summer months. There are very friendly cafes in the neighborhood and if you have kids, go to Laughing Planet in the Patagonia building which has complimentary parking. Check out my face cupcake place, Cupcake Jones and take the kiddos to Cool Moon Ice Cream. These are local joints and are superb. You will never complain about your Dunkin' freakin' Donuts again!
lol, that's great! thanks for a wonderful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland