Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM

161 posts, read 413,831 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a cool, funky, artsy neighborhood in Portland have have come across this gem, Hawthorne Historical District.

However, I am having a terrible time finding someplace to rent around there! I have been scanning Craigslist, The Portland Tribune, and the Willamette Weekly and have not been coming across much in that part of town.

Any suggestions on where else to look for a rental? Is this an area where I'll have to beat the streets and keep an eye out while driving? Is there any other locations/comparable neighborhoods I should consider?

I am really just looking for something laid back, artsy, and cool. I am from the San Francisco Bay Area, and want kind of a Berkeley feel...hippies and farmers markets stuff! I liked Hawthorne because of it's proximity to OHSU (where I have a job lined up) and it's funky vibe, bt I'd be willing to look elsewhere

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,507,616 times
OmShanti:

Since you seem to new to the Portland Forum, let me re-post a common piece of folk lore about PDX--- Many Landlords in the highly desirable locations, don't advertise rental properties, all they need do is post a sign on their buildings, and very quickly the landlord will get several applications.

Also, be aware that SE Hawthorne 'district' is actually touches three official neighborhoods, Sunnyside, Buckman, and Richman. Please refer to the city map link below. (Hint: start with the smaller 8.5 x 11 inch map at first.)
http://www.portlandonline.com/oni/index.cfm?c=35788&

Other great areas with similar 'vibe' are:
SE Belmont in Sunnyside,
NE Alberta St (Alberta Arts district; mostly young starving artist); Alameda and Sabin Neighborhoods, IIRC,
and of course the NW 21st to NW 23rd streets areas (more for successful artist and affluent people) which is called "Nob Hill" in copy-cat honor of the more famous SF neighborhood.

If you can afford it, the Pearl is wonderful for someone from the SF City, but not so much the Berkeley student intelligentsia 'vibe'.

If you can, you should come up for a visit to check out Portland, and see for yourself what the 'vibe' of each of the neighborhoods are. Who knows, you might just fit in up in the Hollywood neighborhood. (old inside joke: PDX Hollywood district starts at Broadway and 42nd street.......)

Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,522,841 times
Hawthorn area is where "everyone" wants to live in PDX for the same reasons you do, so yes, you'll need to beat the streets.

My biggest problem with the area is the lack of parking if you end up living within a few blocks of Hawthorne. I used to live just south of Burnside, and would ride my bike to Hawthorn several times a week. It wasn't great, but there are more bike lanes and such these days so it should be better now.

Speaking of Burnside, between 30th and 12th it's starting to get that same funky feeling Hawthorne has. Clinton Street and Division are starting to go the same way, and maybe parts of Hollywood area. You'll probably see a few recommendations for Multnomah Village as a funky area, but it's on the west side of the river.

Head a bit north and look in the Alberta area - especially along Mississippi Ave too.

Personally, anywhere between the river and 60th, to Highway 26th on the North, and Powell on the south would be my search area to be within a decent distance of Hawthorne.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
If you can, you should come up for a visit to check out Portland, and see for yourself what the 'vibe' of each of the neighborhoods are. Who knows, you might just fit in up in the Hollywood neighborhood. (old inside joke: PDX Hollywood district starts at Broadway and 42nd street.......)
I have spent many, many summers, spring breaks, and winter breaks in Portland with my brother when he lived in the Pearl, but I have yet to go back since 2009. I'm moving up in 4-6 weeks, and staying with a family member in Hillsboro and then I'll start looking for an apartment. Here in California my deposit was first months, last month rent PLUS an additional $1300 deposit, so I figure I'd definitely have enough for a deposit on an apartment/condo in Portland!

And thanks for the other suggestions...I'll start looking around in those other neighborhoods! I've seen a lot of good looking places around Powell.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,644,433 times
I have lived in the Buckman/Sunnyside neighborhood surrounding Hawthorne Blvd for over 20 years. It's a great neighborhood but don't expect to see rentals on Criag's List or in the Classifieds. There is such a demand for apartments here that all a landlord has to do is put out a sign and he will have ten people lined up for the apartment.

What you need to do for this or any other popular neighborhood is pound the pavement and be sure to have money in hand to immediately to pay your security deposit etc. You will probaly need first and last month, cleaning deposit, security deposit and pet deposit if you have a pet. One or two of these could be in lieu of the other but these are the most common.

There are also a lot of not so honest building owners who take adavantage of that situation. I have had people literally knock on my door asking me if my landlord is a good one or a crook. So be careful out there!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,580,074 times
You might look to Woodstock. It's a little more hippie than the hipster vibe you will get in places like Burnside and Hawthorne. Woodstock has a more laid back vibe, since, it's a little more outside of the city. It has a good mix of people (Reed College is right next to it, so definitely influences the neighborhood a good bit). The center area is pretty nice. And you are still only a few miles from Hawthorne/Division area.

Not a terrible commute to OHSU. (I go to school there, and am in the process of buying a house over near Woodstock).

Sellwood would be another option in the SE.

We really liked Hollywood in the NE, but couldn't afford it.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks guys! I looked at Hollywood online and didn't really like it...I don't want to live in or in close proximity to a shipping district. I've been living with fake blondes and high rent for 5 years, and that's a major reason I'm moving out of Southern California. I also don't want to be really car dependent because my 98 Subaru has 160,000 miles on it and sounds like a rocketship taking off while I drive and I can't afford a new car and pay for college...I enjoy the pedestrian or biking lifestyle more. But Woodstock and Sunnyside look great, and I love that there are some parks in there. I would like to get a dog someday (after my evil, grumpy old cat dies).

I am afraid of moving into somewhere with a crooked landlord, I have gotten screwed twice down here in San Diego by falling in love with an apartment that has problems (lots of them) and never receiving deposit back due to claims that they were caused by me, or getting stuck in a lease. Is there any Better Business Bureau like thing to check, or just go by word of mouth?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Shanti View Post
Thanks guys! I looked at Hollywood online and didn't really like it...I don't want to live in or in close proximity to a shipping district. I've been living with fake blondes and high rent for 5 years, and that's a major reason I'm moving out of Southern California. I also don't want to be really car dependent because my 98 Subaru has 160,000 miles on it and sounds like a rocket ship taking off while I drive and I can't afford a new car and pay for college...I enjoy the pedestrian or biking lifestyle more. But Woodstock and Sunnyside look great, and I love that there are some parks in there. I would like to get a dog someday (after my evil, grumpy old cat dies).

I am afraid of moving into somewhere with a crooked landlord, I have gotten screwed twice down here in San Diego by falling in love with an apartment that has problems (lots of them) and never receiving deposit back due to claims that they were caused by me, or getting stuck in a lease. Is there any Better Business Bureau like thing to check, or just go by word of mouth?
Hollywood does not have a shipping district. Sunnyside has one park about two acres adjacent to a grammar school at 34th and Taylor. Woodstock has a nice park around 47th and Steele. It is also not far from the beautiful Rhododendron Test Gardens in Eastmoreland.

Both neighborhoods are fairly expensive. The best way to find an apartment is word of mouth.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Hollywood does not have a shipping district.
Opps, I meant shopping! Long day studying for finals.

I just got in contact with one of my brothers friends, who's a real estate agent in Sunnyside and has a lot of connects with rentals. She said that she could help find me something with a reputable landlord in a desirable area.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
Opps, I meant shopping! Long day studying for finals.

I just got in contact with one of my brothers friends, who's a real estate agent in Sunnyside and has a lot of connects with rentals. She said that she could help find me something with a reputable landlord in a desirable area.

Thanks!

OH! Shopping. Never mind. I was going to tell you to steer clear from Swan Island. LOL.

You have a great "in" knowing someone who has rental connections. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland