Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 23,980 times

Advertisements

We've got ourselves a real pickle here!

Got word today that 2 separate rental units have accepted us and we need to decide which is best. A little background; I work full time, wife is stay at home with 1 yr. old son. Financially stable. Looking to rent 1-3 yrs. max. *Natural light is important to us.

Rental 1: Rose City/Hollywood area, nice part of it. $1000/mo with 1 yr. lease. Fully upgraded/remodeled. 1 uncovered parking spot. Fair walking ability (score of 65+-). West facing windows, average size. Windows in all rooms.

Rental 2: Belmont & 36th. $1350/mo with 1 yr. lease. Fully upgraded/remodeled/new. 1 covered parking spot in secure garage. Excellent walking ability (score of 95). South facing, oversized huge window - only in great room/living areas.

I want to know the VALUE you place on being able to walk to the park, library, store, restaurants vs. driving to those places with toddler. Would the $350 in price lean YOU one way or the other? Also, I am sure some of you live on the outskirts and some live in the heart of it all, so let me know what you like and dislike the most about where you live.

Any and all comments will be helpful as we have to make a decision by tomorrow!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,822,078 times
I place a high value on location. I enjoy the shops, people, all of that stimulation and would be worth the extra $$$ to me. Also the conveniences of living in an area like Belmont could burn a hole in your pocket. My coffee habit sometimes gets the best of me! As long as you can afford the extra cash for rent and have some left over to enjoy the local commerce I say go for it. It's fun and you only live once. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

132 posts, read 341,825 times
If you're in a pickle, it's quite a good pickle to be in!

I personally like the Belmont area better. Walkability is a huge plus, especially when you've got a stroller to schlep. We went out to dinner last night in your possible neighborhood, and there was a nice mix of all sorts, including more than a few families w/young kids. Because my kid is older, I'm not so much in the know about playgrounds and the like, but I think there's a school a few blocks from the strip. You're a hop, skip and jump from Mt. Tabor Park and relatively close to OMSI. The drawbacks would be congestion and possible noise, if you're too close to the restaurants.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
I live not far from the 36th and Belmont area. It is a great area but crowded and noisy with all the great bars, restaraunts and Zupan's. If this is not a bother for you, it would be a good choice.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
I would choose 36th & Belmont.
Assuming that nothing is blocking the exposure, with south facing windows you will get more sun (when it's there) in the gloomiest parts of the year.
West facing windows will be hot in the summer, but you will get lots of light.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 23,980 times
Thanks for the responses and keep em' coming..I agree with sharky that the convinience of Belmont might get the best of my wallet! We were kind of leaning towards the Belmont unit already, but are trying to be unbiased regardless.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Oh and if it is something you will be using, public transportation is very good in the Belmont area. And even better you will be close to Hawthorne Blvd and all the great shops, restaraunts and bus service.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
While on an errand, I decided to drive down Sandy from 82nd to 39th then south on 39th to Woodstock Blvd.
That route took me through both areas.

I much preferred the Belmont area, though I must warn you that I grew up just slightly south of there (in the Woodstock/Westmoreland neighborhoods), so I know it's history...have friends there...I am sure I am a little biased.

IMHO, go with the Belmont option. If you are a social person you'll love it, unless you have really right leaning political views.

If you don't like it, you can always relocate.

An open mind is a prerequisite for living there though, just be forewarned.
I am well past the half century mark, and in my prime the Belmont and Hawthorne districts were always considered a little more bohemian, socially liberal , free and forward thinking than the rest of "mainstream" Portland.
Given the way Portland thinks, that's saying a lot to somebody moving in from someplace more conservative, which ain't hard.
Lately though, I suspect that those neighborhoods have become a "stereotype" of themselves, the way they used to be.
It's kinda there on the surface, but down below it seems kind of whitebread and commercialized, at least to me.
I don't know if this makes any sense, but to me, it ain't real no more. But it's cool in a different way.
I get a kick out of watching how my neighborhoods change, with new people and new generations moving in trying to capture what was with new ideas and values.
I know I'm probably not making any sense, maybe Minervah can chime in and describe how that area has changed through the years when she first arrived to how it is now.
I know she has touched on it before.
When you move to a different neighborhood, I find that a little history always makes it more interesting.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 04-28-2011 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,158,365 times
I guess it's not unusual, but I'm going to be the dissenting voice, though it's tough not knowing exactly where the Rose City place is.

I've lived near the Belmont one for many years. And while I think it's a great area, and I do like it a lot ... the area around 36th isn't all that close to services or parks, IMO, to deserve the walkalbility rating. And be advised that there's a Methadone Treatment clinic at 26th & Belmont. That means clients lined up on the sidewalks at certain times of day. Zupans (with it's expensive groceries) is about 10 blocks up Belmont, or Safeway (not quite as expensive) is about 8 blocks over on Hawthorne. There really aren't any near parks -- Lone Fir Cemetery is the closest "green space", or Col. Summers down at 20th, which doesn't seem all that kid friendly.

Like I say, it's hard to speak to the Rose City area without something more specific. I'd just ask myself if it'd be worth the $4,200 extra expense to be on Belmont. I don't think it would be to me ... but then, I'm cheap.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:29 AM

99 posts, read 277,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
We went out to dinner last night in your possible neighborhood
As can anyone who lives in Portland. Going to dinner there and paying $350/mo extra to live there are two entirely different experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
You're a hop, skip and jump from Mt. Tabor Park and relatively close to OMSI
pdxbound27, if you go to Mt Tabor or OMSI, you will likely be driving. Both attractions are an easy drive from either location (Sandy or Belmont), but they are not walkable.

I agree with Enrico. The Belmont area isn't worth an extra $350 per month for a young, single-income family (or anyone, for that matter). I'm not super familiar with the neighborhood around NE 56th & Sandy, but the place sounds nice in your description. Check your private messages for a more detailed response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: