Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM

219 posts, read 624,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! You have all been so helpful to me and I sure appreciate it. I was wondering what traffic is like out there in Portland. I live in Des Moines, and rush hour is pretty much a joke. I might get stuck in traffic between 4:30 and 6:00 for about 15-20 minutes longer than expected or so. When I spent time in LA, it seemed like no matter what time of day, it took 5 minutes for every mile. I am assuming Portland is somewhere in between these two experiences, but I was wondering if anybody could explain to me just what it is like. Do a lot of people use Public Trans out there? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Yes, a lot of people use public transportation. The traffic situation here is closer to Des Moines than LA, although people will try to tell you otherwise because they remember when it was even better than it is now. I've lived in the NY, Boston and LA metro areas, and Portland is a lot better than any of those three.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Thing about Portland is traffic is not that great because there are only a few main routes to get you anywhere throughout the city. For instance. To get from the westside (Hillsboro, Beaverton, etc) the only main route is Hwy 26. I am not talking backroads here just main routes. I have sat on 26 for over an hour many many times going to and from work in downtown Portland. The only way to get North/South is either I-5 or I 205. And if everybody else is taking these routes well then you get some nasty traffic sometimes. And if its raining, it can be even worse. Mass transit is a good way to get around for sure.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
That is why I recommend AGAINST commuting that requires crossing either the Willamette or (God forbid) Columbia Rivers. Bridges are pinch-points.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Okay this gives me a pretty good idea of the traffic. Nell that is great advice! Thank you!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Daisy, when you say "main routes", you mean freeways, right? It's true that US26 is the only freeway from the west side, but many people can and do commute on Barbur Blvd., Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, Burnside St. and Cornell Road. Yes, they have traffic lights, so peak speeds won't be as high as on a freeway, but they're more consistent. I've never sat for an hour on Beaverton-Hillsdale. During rush hour the freeways aren't moving at peak speed very often anyway.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Daisy, when you say "main routes", you mean freeways, right? It's true that US26 is the only freeway from the west side, but many people can and do commute on Barbur Blvd., Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, Burnside St. and Cornell Road. Yes, they have traffic lights, so peak speeds won't be as high as on a freeway, but they're more consistent. I've never sat for an hour on Beaverton-Hillsdale. During rush hour the freeways aren't moving at peak speed very often anyway.
Rob, you are right on. If I'm driving during rush hour, I'll usually take the roads you mention to get to where I'm going. If I get an early or late start, then I may take a freeway (after listening to the radio for traffic reports).

I've always given myself 30 minutes to go 10 miles in Portland, either because of traffic, stoplights, or just the configuration of the freeway system.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM

30 minutes for every 10 miles. Gosh, that is a lot of time compared to where I live, but it makes sense, and that is good advice!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
30 minutes for every 10 miles. Gosh, that is a lot of time compared to where I live, but it makes sense, and that is good advice!
Don't get me wrong--sometimes it takes less than 30 minutes, but better safe than sorry.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Yeah, you're right! Now, are you speaking of traffic this way during rush hour or all of the time in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland